News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Saltworks

Started by embx61, March 29, 2017, 04:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

embx61

@QueryEverything

I don't know if it is possible to have more icons of the same building on more then one toolbar.

That some of my mods were scattered was because I did not upload all my older mods yet with the new toolbar approach.
But I don't think someone had for example my saltworks in the Community bar AND on the toolbar from my approach at the same time.

In the NameofBuilding.rsc file in the root you assign the toolbar and I don't know if it is even possible to assign two or even 3 different toolbars there.
I doubt it but who knows. But I agree with RedKetchup that I don't want to do it either.

Instead of freeing space on the toolbars, what the Community toolbar was created to do,  we are going to producing even more clutter and I think lots of players going to find it confusing to have 2, or 3 toolbars assigned to 1 and the same building.

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

QueryEverything

I understand, but can it work within your own CT?

I went looking for your Garden Walls items today and had hoped to see them in 1 theme set, but I found them throughout your 'function' toolbar.

Is it possible to have it so you can do it with CT/RK/Theme  and  CT/RK/Function/items ?
I've gotten quite spoilt by themed folders ;) and I think with mods like your Garden Walls & your Hunting ones they would suit also being in a theme folder, as well as your function folders.

----

You are right @embx61 clutter has been a problem for players previously which is why I loved MM approach where each Function bar was then sorted further, I wish the roads was better looked after for Roads & Bridges, but ...  oh well. 
I'm thinking more about the players that have requested that the Vanilla bar be utilised still, and the other players who use the CT, if it can be listed in both the Vanilla function and the CT then it's a win/win for all the players and it will eventually be a non-issue.  (I don't personally see it as an issue per say, I just think there should be better ways of doing it).
There are players who naturally will always go to "house/item" rather than remember who created what house.

As an example, there are multiple colonial house mods available now, it can be confusing to remember which modder built which house, so in the above case, it doesn't matter when both the Vanilla/House  and CT/modder/house (or theme) are being used.

I'm excited by development, hence my eagerness to see what can be achieved now with new code findings :)

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

embx61

@QueryEverything

I understand where you are coming from. I read quite a few request's on BL forums as well to just utilize the vanilla toolbar.
Especially when the mods are split up in little chunks, or are all separate buildings.

That is why I took the middle of the road approach with my toolbars at the end of the vanilla categories to see what the community thought about the idea.

But I also agree that one system should be used to minimize confusion and maybe a cleaner look overall.
I just go with what the majority wants, just like I go with the new resource flags/limits set by Black Liquid to keep the mods as compatible as possible.

Gatherer

I personally think that Nilla's suggestion of a compromise is a good one. Direct quote: Many modder also make their own icons and you have to get used to them. I think a compromise would be the best thing. Take Red Ketchup as a role model. When you open his icon, you find the vanilla symbols again. His different buildings from his smaller mods are  located under the same menu icons, as the vanilla tool bar. That makes it easy to find and easy to use, even if you're only interested in "a barn" or "a gatherer".
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Paeng

Quote from: QueryEverything on April 08, 2017, 12:25:50 AM1 mod (...snip...) could be essentially in 2 places?

You'd essentially double up the toolbar entries? So the same thing can be found in two different places? Tbh - I don't see the benefit...  :(

Plus I think that would be another can of worms for the mod creators...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Nilla

As I've said, I prefere the community tool bar but I can live with your model as well @embx61 but please, not both! There are many "buttons" as it is, especially if you use a lot of mods. The same thing twice? NO!

Discrepancy

I have to agree, I don't like the idea of two buttons for each building. I think it can be done, but it would require separate template files. This would bog down the game unnecessarily by having to load up 2 versions of every building. Making bloated menus and bloated mod sizes.

sorry @embx61 , for my rambling as I hijack your page...

I like the community toolbar ... because it allows me to see what I'm missing! ;) what else do I need to make & mod?

so the question is:
we could spend time in making double menu items for all our buildings? or,
we could instead be spending time on what I think is the enjoyable part, for me as a modder & as a player: new content.

I was once just a player, with little knowledge of the modkit and how the game operated and allowed modders to make the modifications. I was ignorant to the time it takes, and what is involved. I still am sometimes, thinking I can put together something in an hour or so, and next thing I'm still sitting here 4-5 hours later! and sometimes it is all wasted when things don't work out. I think all of us as modders have been through this - if not, you soon will ;)

elemental

Quote from: Discrepancy on April 08, 2017, 07:08:09 AM

I was once just a player, with little knowledge of the modkit and how the game operated and allowed modders to make the modifications. I was ignorant to the time it takes, and what is involved. I still am sometimes, thinking I can put together something in an hour or so, and next thing I'm still sitting here 4-5 hours later! and sometimes it is all wasted when things don't work out. I think all of us as modders have been through this - if not, you soon will ;)

I've started doing some 3d modelling of my own and I do plan to do some mods at some point. The modelling isn't hard once you get a bit of practice - but OMG it certainly can be time consuming. I already knew that modding takes a lot of time and effort, but this has certainly emphasised that point for me. Modding is a labour of love, that's for sure. So thank you modders, all of you.  :)

embx61

@elemental

Tell me about it.
My Herbalist building kept crashing once I put the building down in my game.

I pulled my hair out on that one as I copied Luke's Herbalist Template code and made the changes to read my stringtable and so forth.

I knew it was not the mesh because as a test and work by elimination I attached my Waterwell Template code to it and the building could be placed.

So I knew it was the EBHerbalist.rsc file in the Template dir.

I went over and over the code, comparing with a Compare program I use but it kept crashing and I could not find any differences.
I finally asked RedKetchup to take a look at it and within 2 or 3 minutes he found the little bugger.

ModelDescription model
{
MeshGroup _meshes
[
{
GraphicsMesh _mesh
[
//"Models\EBWaterWellBuild01Mesh.rsc",
//"Models\EBWaterWellBuild02Mesh.rsc",
"Models\EBHerbalistMesh.rsc" 
]
}
]

int _displayIndex = 0;
int _subIndex = 2; <======================================
bool _randomIndex = false;
}

Had to be changed by this:

ModelDescription model
{
MeshGroup _meshes
[
{
GraphicsMesh _mesh
[
//"Models\EBWaterWellBuild01Mesh.rsc",
//"Models\EBWaterWellBuild02Mesh.rsc",
"Models\EBHerbalistMesh.rsc" 
]
}
]

int _displayIndex = 0;
int _subIndex = 0; <==============================
bool _randomIndex = false;
}

Because of Luke's code had the 2 in there as well I never thought about it. So yes, it is time consuming and even frustrating at times.
But at the end if it all works, with more then once help from the other talented modders, it gives a good feeling.

RedKetchup

we need to help each other :) cause it can be so frustrating sometime  :'(
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .