News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Made a Mod, Doesn't Show Up (newbie question)

Started by angainor88, July 31, 2017, 02:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angainor88

Hey, so I am new to modding in general, and especially in Banished, but I finally made a house and successfully compiled it (I hope). But when I try to test it out in game, the icon doesn't show up. There's just a tiny button where nothing happens when I click it (picture attached). Any ideas on how to fix it? (I've been using Discrepancy's "Creating a 3d model house in blender and making it available in game" tutorial)

Thanks!

RedKetchup

make sure you referencing properly your SpriteSheet and StringTable inside your toolbar file at the root of your mod

example:

Toolbar MyHouse
{
Toolbar _parent = "Game\Toolbar.rsc:housing";
int _sortPriority = 802;
StringTable _stringTable = "UI/MyModStringTable.rsc";
SpriteSheet _spriteSheet = "UI/MyModSpriteSheet.rsc";

Action _action = Tool;
ComponentDescription _tool = "Template/MyHouse.rsc";

bool _autoHotKey = true;
}

i guess you really have an icon inside UI/Sprite/ folder ? 32x32 pixels

once you will see your icon.... there you will able to tell if really something happening or not if you press your icon. if the icon light up, you should see your model.
if not, maybe too tiny (as big as a fly?), or misplaced like high in the sky, or underground ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

angainor88

Thank you for the help! (unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.)

The little tiny button gives me a wooden house that it then won't let any of the people build (it wouldn't find the points.rsc file in my folder either).

I do have a little 32x32 .png file in the Sprite folder, and I added the lines to the code like what you have.

RedKetchup

Quote from: angainor88 on July 31, 2017, 05:35:19 PM
Thank you for the help! (unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.)

The little tiny button gives me a wooden house that it then won't let any of the people build (it wouldn't find the points.rsc file in my folder either).

I do have a little 32x32 .png file in the Sprite folder, and I added the lines to the code like what you have.
about your dot:
what is written inside your string table and your spritesheet ??

-------------------------

about pointlists:

you need to make a pointlist.rsc file which will point to a "dummy" or "point" in your fbx which will be the head of a group of "points" or "dummies". the dummy you need to find in your fbx are :

build_001, build_002, build_003 ..... which is used to tell the game : how many builders you need to build the building (if you have 4 build_00x = you will need 4 builders to build this building.
also they are used to set exactly on the map where they need to stand and use the hammer or the saw.

use_001, use_002, use_003  .... which are used to tell the game : where the citizen need to stand for working or use the building, or use the house (drop the food basket for example, or stand to eat food or get warmth)

create_001, create_002, create_003 .... which are used to define the spot where a new resource created will spawn (for example the honey spawns on the ground for the apiary)

all those "dummies" must be "linked" or "grouped" under a dummy called " points" which is placed at 0,0,0 on your blender/3dsmax.

your pointlist.rsc will point to that "master" dummy called points.

i suggest you strongly to go check apiary in the example, and load the apiary.fbx and see things they need to be set in your fbx.

RedKetchup

Quote from: angainor88 on July 31, 2017, 05:35:19 PM

can you show us ?

also, did you put the lines in your MyModSpriteSheet.rsc that lead to that .png  file ?
did you put the lines in your MyModStringTable.rsc that will set the name and the tooltip of your building ?

in your template of your wooden house, in the "toolbar" paragraph, did you pointed the name of the building and the name of the 32x32 icon in your spritesheet/stringtable ?

go check the template/apiary.rsc example

RedKetchup

i made you a screenshot on 1 of my building. i used 3dsmax. blender has its own way to make the same thing.
you will see in my .fbx i have alot of green squares, they are my dummies. blender i think makes "plus" shapes like a " + " at the screen.

you can see at top, all my points called use_00x build_00x create_00x .... they all inked to a master one called "points" :)

in your fbx , the toolkit need to find your list of points.

RedKetchup

here the code of my pointlist.rsc :

PointList resource
{
String _meshName = "Models\Canals\NMT30Canal4xMill.fbx"; // this is the name of my .fbx
String _subObject = "points"; // this is the name of my master dummy points that contain all my use_ create_ build_ points in my .fbx
}

the name of that pointlist.rsc above is set inside your template under the "Interact" paragraph in your template.

InteractDescription interact
{
PointList _pointList = "Models/Canals/NMT30Canal4xMillPoints.rsc"; // this is the name of my pointlist and the name of my folder where i did put that pointslist.rsc
}

angainor88

Sorry, I've been trying to fix some of the other problems I've had. Unfortunately the Toolsx64 thing keep breaking when I run it now.

I did add all the stuff you said though, so if I can get it to compile again maybe it will work...

RedKetchup

make sure all your building material textures are in a 64x 128x 256x 512x or 1024x format. it doesnt accept any strange numbers

angainor88

Hmm I put all my textures into one .png file. I will have to double check the size when I get home.

Thank you for helping me! I will get back to you later!

RedKetchup

you need to know that is it difficult to point out what is wrong with your mods since we dont have much info (you dont give us any info). i am not at your computer, and i am not at your keyboard to check your files and folder structure.

the best and most easy way to check is being able to surf through your files and find the problem. i helped alot of people by downloading the code/files and check by myself. And then explain what is wrong.

so if you want me to find the problem, you will need to help me by providing the code in here, or by uploading on a storage place so i can download it and check.
you can then send me the downloading link in personal messenging if you prefer no-one else put the hand on your code/file.

if not :
what you will need to do is put a copy/paste of much of your .rsc files between code brackets [ code ] [ /code ] (without spaces)
- your .bat file.
- the 3 .rsc files at your root of your mod.
- the 4 .rsc files in UI folder.
- the .rsc template file in the Template folder.
- all the .rsc files in the Models folder.

angainor88

Sorry, here is a link to the download (it's on Mediafire, sorry for the ads): http://www.mediafire.com/file/gzsc1w2hyieix1s/DutchCapeCottage.7z

My current guess is I need to make more AO files for build01 and build02, because that looks like where it is crashing? but I am not sure.

RedKetchup

thanks

starting to check ...

root : ok
UI folder : ok
template :

right there at begining error :

ToolbarDescription toolbar
{
SpriteSheet _spriteSheet = "Dialog/SpriteSheet.rsc";
String _spriteName = "BuildDutchCapeCottage";

StringTable _stringTable = "Dialog/StringTable.rsc:objects";
String _stringName = "DutchCapeCottage";
String _stringNameLwr = "DutchCapeCottageLwr";
String _toolTip = "DutchCapeCottageTip";

String _statusStrings
[
"CreateOk",
"CreateBlocked",
]

int _group = 3;
}

should be:

ToolbarDescription toolbar
{
SpriteSheet _spriteSheet = "UI/DutchCapeCottageSpriteSheet.rsc"; // should be this
String _spriteName = "BuildDutchCapeCottage";

StringTable _stringTable = "UI/DutchCapeCottageStringTable"; // should be this
String _stringName = "DutchCapeCottage";
String _stringNameLwr = "DutchCapeCottageLwr";
String _toolTip = "DutchCapeCottageTip";

String _statusStrings
[
"CreateOk",
"CreateBlocked",
]

int _group = 3;
}

which should fix your icon problem

RedKetchup

now i tried to compile and yeah, it crash
even if it talks about your AO when it crashed, it is not necessairly that the problem.
at begining i started i had no idea how to do an AO.png file.....
so i used long time an empty white .png of 64x64 and was working fine !

gonna check your .fbx, i think the problem is more there than anything else...

RedKetchup

ok i made 2 screenshots. i use 3dsMax but i think your should still understand...
the way it is made inside your .fbx is not good.

first should not have : lights and camera control your meshes.

under camera.001 i see some mesh03.001 , mesh02.001, mesh01.001.. and when i click them, they point some of the things that should have been part of build01...
and camera i see mesh01, mesh02, mesh03, mesh04, mesh05.. and when i click them, they point some of the things that should have been part of mesh...

you should have only : your points (which seems fine), mesh , build02 and build01. the parts under camera.001 belongs to build01 should be entirely merged into your build01... and the parts under camera belongs to mesh should entirely merged in your mesh

the game doesnt handle sub categories (or sub meshes). each mesh must be "connected" or "merged" into 1 single mesh and not a gathering of parts
i hope you can still understand me (cause english is not my primary language)