Main Menu

The Pier

Started by Paeng, September 15, 2014, 08:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paeng

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

assobanana76

where did you get the mod for the fences ??
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

rkelly17

@Paeng, please tell me you didn't do this one in Photoshop! And then show us how you did it.

solarscreen

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 16, 2014, 05:19:50 AM
where did you get the mod for the fences ??

@RedKetchup, right here on the forum.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 16, 2014, 05:52:10 AMplease tell me you didn't do this one in Photoshop!

No way... be sure that I never "cheat" with PS (except for obvious experiments like the fake nightlights the other day)!

QuoteAnd then show us how you did it.

Here are some side-views - less "drama"  ;D  but they should make it clear... The only tool I used is the "Flatten Terrain" mod, which gives us some rudimentary terraforming possibilities -

Basically I wanted to build a pier that gives me a maximum circle of water, to see how much fish I can get...

The whole thing is based off my champion fishing lodge, which gives me 3.200 fish per season -

Of course finding such a spot on any map is a tall order - that's why I had this idea about an 'artificial' pier...
* btw: the artificial pier did not top my natural champion...  ;)

See more pics and some analysis (fishing) here...

rkelly17

I wouldn't say that Photoshopping is necessarily "cheating," though it certainly allows you to do things in pictures that can't happen in real life. Friends in my other hobby (model railroading) can now do pictures of their steam locomotives smoking up a hill or diesels blasting exhaust into the sky that don't look cheesy. People used to do things like glue cotton to a string and vibrate it during a time exposure to try and get the effect, but it never really worked. We all know that model locomotives don't actually smoke (or if they do you have a VERY serious problem on your hands), but we like pictures that let us pretend our little trains are real.

At any rate, I love the pier. This in itself has been enough to get me to download the mod. I have discovered that it conflicts with the flat map mod, so I have to choose one or the other.

assobanana76

if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Paeng

no idea, can't open that save anymore without crashing...   :-\

mellowtraumatic

That looks wonderful, Paeng! Gives me ideas for my next town.

Mr_Maison

Wonder why I'm not surprised that Paeng would start making piers..... ::)
Probably because it reminds me of where I get my favorite pier sets for another game.

Looks great!

rkelly17

Quote from: Mr_Maison on September 21, 2014, 09:40:13 PM
Wonder why I'm not surprised that Paeng would start making piers..... ::)
Probably because it reminds me of where I get my favorite pier sets for another game.

Looks great!

@Paeng is the pier man for sure! Will his next exploit be a container ship dock for merchants in Banished?

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 22, 2014, 09:33:02 AMWill his next exploit be a container ship dock for merchants in Banished?

Well, naturally I'm looking forward to items that enhance the coastlines with boardwalks and industrious (as opposed to industrial!) sets... another trader's boat (maybe with a sail) and and and...

I'm wondering how hard it is to skin the existing models... would be nice to get some variety into trade ports, barns, fishing huts etc. without needing to change their functions in ever more dramatic ways - to me, most default functions work just fine, and I don't really need multi-super-duper-fancy functions rolled into every simple fencepost - like I said before, I'm often as happy if an item just looks good...  :)

Like others have also said - I want Banished to maintain its medieval character and hope that new models/skins will continue to play with that setting and time frame...

rkelly17

Quote from: Paeng on September 24, 2014, 05:44:54 AM
Well, naturally I'm looking forward to items that enhance the coastlines with boardwalks and industrious (as opposed to industrial!) sets... another trader's boat (maybe with a sail) and and and...

I'm wondering how hard it is to skin the existing models... would be nice to get some variety into trade ports, barns, fishing huts etc. without needing to change their functions in ever more dramatic ways - to me, most default functions work just fine, and I don't really need multi-super-duper-fancy functions rolled into every simple fencepost - like I said before, I'm often as happy if an item just looks good...  :)

Like others have also said - I want Banished to maintain its medieval character and hope that new models/skins will continue to play with that setting and time frame...

I'd love to see some re-skinning so as to bring some visual variety. I wouldn't mind a "double wide" trading post that holds twice as much and attracts double the merchants. It would make river port areas look less odd. You could have it take the same amount of building materials and effort as two current trading posts so it's not a cheat.

I find it interesting that people see Banished as "Medieval." The building styles and crops remind me more of late 18th-early 19th century North American farming communities in the Northeast (In Canada the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario; in the US New England, New York, Pennsylvania). Crops like Corn, Potatoes and Pumpkins were unknown in Europe before the discovery of the Americas and were not widespread until a couple of centuries later. I know it is hard to imagine German cuisine without potatoes (My year as a student in Heidelberg in 1967 was a revelation to me; I didn't know there were so many ways to boil potatoes!) but they do come from the Andes region. That being said, I agree that I don't want to see it lose its "frontier" character. I'm looking for mods that deal with some problems and absences in the game.

Bobbi

Agree with @rkelly17 "The building styles and crops remind me more of late 18th-early 19th century North American farming communities in the Northeast (In Canada the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario; in the US New England, New York, Pennsylvania)". Never saw the buildings or lifestyle as being particularly medieval. But that is part of the beauty of banished, we all see it our own way, and have our own ideas on why they were banished.  ;D