News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 02, 2018, 06:06:14 AM
NorthSugarPatch.pkm - Makes sugar an inedible additive for food processing and beekeeping.

Why would you want to use sugar for beekeeping. I understand some commercial beekeepers do that for more profit, but it doesn't do the hive any good at all. As a matter of fact it can throw the hive a bit out of whack by changing the PH in the hive which in turn decreases the hives ability to fight off the affect of pesticides and fungicides, not to mention ending up with a honey/sugar hybrid instead of pure honey.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Tom Sawyer

@Hawk The idea was to include winter feeding to keep the bees alive in cold climate after taking away their food stock. As far as I know it works this way but probably not in general and especially not in the Middle Ages. I made it to somehow limit this kind of food production. Without any input material the only limit is required area and it is already more productive than farming which should not be. Actually beekeeping needs its own mechanic including something like overlapping fishing circles on land or so. I tried to utilize the fishing mechanic but doesn't work.

In my current test version I took away sugar with slightly decreased honey output and it's ok I think. Still limited by required beehives and with a useful output of 200 - 300 food per year for the worker. For the modern age I thought about making a bee house for more productivity. Maybe that's the way to go. Sometimes it becomes frustrating to deal with the existing mechanics and to create workarounds. I wish we could have more access to the core or support for more options in the modkit.

Hawk

I guess it is kind of hard to reproduce real life with the game mechanics. It's a shame beekeeping can't be set to not make honey in winter like crop fields and orchards.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Tom Sawyer

I've read about it. Extensive beekeeping seems to work by taking away the honey in spring when the bees can get new stuff. So to say the surplus of honey which was not necessary for them to survive the winter. Would make sense then to have one object with and one without feeding but lower production.

Turis

Could you increase the number of wildlife in Anders and Ella and then delete the seeds since they'll have plenty of food if it's possible?

Turis

Can you add a weaponsmith, fletcher and an armorsmith?

The weaponsmith produces axes(iron+leather+log), spears(iron+leather+log) and swords(steel+leather). Fletcher produces bows and arrows. The armorsmith produces fur, hide and leather armors, shields(log) and leather, iron and steel helmets. All of these ítems will be sold as exports to travelling merchants.

Well, I'm just wishing to have an economy based on the Viking era. ;D

RedKetchup

Quote from: Turis on February 15, 2018, 03:09:51 AM
Can you add a weaponsmith, fletcher and an armorsmith?

The weaponsmith produces axes(iron+leather+log), spears(iron+leather+log) and swords(steel+leather). Fletcher produces bows and arrows. The armorsmith produces fur, hide and leather armors, shields(log) and leather, iron and steel helmets. All of these ítems will be sold as exports to travelling merchants.

Well, I'm just wishing to have an economy based on the Viking era. ;D

sounds a great idea :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

twilightbreeze

Please don't delete the seeds in Anders and Ella! It really helps especially in the beginning, when there are only two of them.

:(
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

capo

First of: thanks for making this mod!

I only played Banished vanilla 1-2 years ago. I now have a hard time choosing between Colonial Charter and The North.

Could anyone explain to me the core differences and feels between these two mods?

@Nilla: Tack! Makes sense, I will go with The North then :).

Nilla

@capo, I find both are worth a try. (many other mods from this web page, too)

I'm a big fan of the North. Not only because I'm Swedish and recognize the lovely buildings, often made from real models. What I like the most, is the gameplay change. Especially, if you play on "harsh" with a "survivor" start, it's a real challenge, also for an experienced players like myself. But there are other options, not that hard, the gameplay changes however, are still there. The trade is interesting with different trade prices and coins. There are some interesting "instant tools" for food and firewood for the start and some very nice production chains. It's also very well balanced. Every production make sense, but nothing is overpowered.

CC has a lot of opportunities. Sometimes even a bit overwhelming. Just to choose a map takes some time. There are many new production chains, buildings, crops, animals, resources, upgrade opportunities. You can play many different kind of games. Especially if you like the city building aspects, it's a must, to try this mod. You can design and decorate without limits; many lovely buildings and elements. But not everything is well balanced, so if you like the survival or economic aspects of Banished, I find the North more interesting.

Turis

I'm guessing that my last suggestion will end up buried and forgotten. :(

P.S. This forum needs to replace "go to bottom" to "go to next unread message".

Tom Sawyer

Why forgotten, Turis? It's not even one day old.^^ Who knows about axes, shields and such. Could be at least something funny as add-on if not everyone would like it. I just wish we could send them away on raids with a longship equipped with this stuff and coming home after a year with a boatload of silver extorted from Paris. ;D

Poor Anders and Ella will not be robbed. I like them to have turnips to live in a farmstead right from the start.

About CC and North, why to make a decision @capo? You can have both for free. Just not on the same map. If you switch them in your mod list don't forget to restart Banished before starting a new game. Then you can play in both scenarios without problems.

darnokthemage

Vikings!? What we need is caroleans!

RedKetchup

wasnt the corolans who had skis ? ^^
one of the troops in Civ V had skis lol
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Hawk

Quote from: Turis on February 15, 2018, 02:46:59 PM
I'm guessing that my last suggestion will end up buried and forgotten. :(

P.S. This forum needs to replace "go to bottom" to "go to next unread message".

This forum has a great option to read all the posts since your last visit. I think most folks don't use it though. It seems they just go to the last post made in a topic instead of the oldest post made since your last visit.
Whether you open a topic or go to the link near the top of the man page that says 'Show unread posts since last visit.', all you have to do is click on the 'New' button. That will take you to the oldest new post made since your last visit, which could mean there's several posts newer than that one, but then you would see all the new posts made since your last visit.

A lot of my posts have been overlooked and I think it's because of this. At least I hope that's the reason.  ;D
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]