News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BRAD'S SETTLING OF AMERICA SERIES 2:Elnor

Started by brads3, July 12, 2018, 06:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I don't think we need to debate if happiness or education has the larger impact on the production. I'm sure it's impossible to say in general. For most professions, it's easy to calculate how much you lose if a worker is uneducated. But it's different depending on the profession and the mods you are using. How much you lose with unhappy people variates much more from one production site to another. My guess is that in many cases education is more important but not always.

I think, that it's quite a challenge to play like you do; with a low education and a low happiness.  It pays off to educate people and it pays off to make them happy.

And you are right in your conclusion, that you don't need  all of the happiness buildings to make some people happy. If the living conditions have been good all the time, you need less.

brads3

GM,good to see you up and about.how is the leg and healing?here i can say that education has a bigger impact.what i found odd with the jappiness is there are some full 5 star happy without much work.just a little mead.i never changed the luxury liit from the 500. there is a sauna for health and the cemetary but no church in the indian village. the farm center had a church with no worker for a while. and now it and PR have workers at the churches. i was experimenting.

when i start the game, i don't worry about nothing except getting a base of supplies and houses. like a group would do in RL. they worry about survival 1st not schooling. the game doesn't take into accound hands on education like RL would have.TOM did have the North follow that idea before. the production drop off due to the ack of education isn't wrong though. in RL,it takes time to build soil,get rid of sod and rocks,and learn which crop will grow in different soils. over time a person would learn where the best roots and berries grow.you can't walk into new forest and know that.much of the RL learning is experience.

you are right that different mods require education more than others or there is less impact for not having it.some crops also are different.  most are not huge or major.if i find a crop that is i don't plant many fields of it.some are noticable and consistant from map to map.some mod order will change from game to game. i haven't tried to totally master whcih will produce more.that isn't the main reason for placing buildings.

since i am not a modder, i can't say how hard it would be for others to add the changes or if the norseman mod adjusts the other mods already. i would like to hear other players ideas though.

brads3

YEAR 28-29

plans don't work in banished.i wanted to finish the fort before moving on to phase 3.however,the need for items and more population is slowing it down.i don't want to build the production area too far since it will need lots more food.i will try to stabilize things by year 30. as the schools graduate bnnnies and materials are taken in trade, the fort can grow..a blacksmith to supply the quarry workers is needed and  more houses.the  bannies will clean up around the stables and add  fencing.a Slink industrial market will help supply the fort with iron,logs,and other materials.it is a 1.06 mod but so is the CC.i  want to keep it at 10 laborers supplying 2 builders for now.they are quicker at that level.

tool and coat limits are at 400.the smelters can be be put to work.the sawmill will cut firewood.another field and chesnut orchard add to the farm center.

pic 1: larger bison pasture
pic 2: jam house
pic 3: the domestic animal stable.this has issues still.will cause crash

Abandoned

Quote from: brads3 on July 27, 2018, 08:25:10 AM
           since i am not a modder, i can't say how hard it would be for others to add the changes or if the norseman mod adjusts the other mods already. i would like to hear other players ideas though.

@brads3 so what you are saying is all the modders should add happiness to their buildings for those choosing to use norseman aging mod (sounds like a cheat for those using norseman), and for those not using norseman the vanilla unhappiness factor that there is would be in all likelihood removed, altering their gameplay and added a complication for the other modders.  There are plenty of vanilla buildings and other mod items that add happiness.  :)  One of the good things about Banished is the ability to choose, not to have something unwanted forced upon you.  If a mod makes you unhappy, don't use it  :)

brads3

no, i actually said i would like to hear input from other players on the happiness idea.more input and debating ideas would improve it. TOM added the happiness controls to the norseman so happiness is more important and can be influenced more.before when you check the citizen graph you wouldn't see much difference. now there is a noticable difference to the graphs. this is the 1st time i layed with TOM's changes.i can't say how much affect TOM's coding has to other mods. can't say there is X% of production loss. from what i see it isn't changing all mods.

yes you do have a choice. that was where i said "debate". that way others would give more ideas and opinions. i do wish you would try it as it would be good to hear your perspective. in vanilla ,we never had to consider happiness.

Abandoned

@brads3 I am well aware of what TS norseman mod and happiness rating is.  You also mention here and on another thread wanted other modders to pick up on it.  And I as a player gave my opinion.  Funny I seem to recall their is happiness to consider in vanilla, that is why we build cemeteries.  ;D

embx61

Not sure but if Tom is the only one who changed some happiness code then all mods underneath it should take it over.
If other mods also changed happiness stuff it probably will be highest in the load order "wins".

But I am not so sure about all those load orders anymore either. I mean it is important but some files seem to be loaded anyway even when under a mod with the same filename.
I was almost sure before I tested Kids HO to see if another Mod above it without the fuel flag in the storage cart would deny the firewood in the cart and was stunned to see the firewood was in the cart.

I double checked my mod to make sure it had no fuel flag and it have not. So either the game still takes the top Mod one but if something is missing from the top one it adds it still into memory from a mod below like what seem to happen with 1 of my mods and HO.

So for example: My mod was top of the list and HO right under it. The game reads my storage cart file without the fuel flag and stores it in memory. Then it reads Kids HO storage cart file and all is the same except that added fuel flag and load that bit also into memory. Not sure about it but it looks that way.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

galensgranny

Regarding the Happiness, I loaded the mod that is supposed to show the happiness radius of buildings, but it doesn't work with many buildings.  I wish it would.  I am not sure why it doesn't.  So I just estimate it and hope for the best.

brads3

YEAR 30 REVIEW

POPULATION has grown to 156 in 47 houses.healthy and 51% educated.though at 3 star happiness,several educated indians do show full 5 stars.there is no church in the indian village.the farm center church does not have a worker.as the bannies produced more strawberries,there was more honey to make mead.that did help. there were more nut trees planted to help their protein intake as well.

the fort does have a stables to produce domestic animals. it waits for more corn before we feed it. a jam shop and fort blacksmith are built.there is much placed and on hold waiting for materials.the star corners need cannons.the bakery,gem workers, and Pilgrim's rest require iron.it will function and can trade gold guilder as more is processed.some of the silver coins will be stored to pay future fort workers.

as the east farms produce more food, more mines can be dug.soon the mines can supply iron and coal for the muskets and cannons.there is plenty of space between the lakes for more fields and houses.they have chickens and bison. there is strawberry,squash, field berries,and corn planted.we do have vegetable seed.

phase 1 was the indian village. a start base to bring in nomads and launch settlements.phase 2 was the CC fort.it has expanded to produce materials and increase trading.there are about 7 more phases.a long ways to go.phase 3 will go north from the indian village across the main river.as it is built,the fort will stash materials and construction should get smoother.

pic 1: yr30 stats
pic 2: production
pic 3: inventory
pic 4: food and citizen graph

brads3

YEAR 30-31

the multi mine dug out enough iron for the marble quarry to be finished.that will be a huge gain.

a group of 13 canadians have arrived. they move into the barracks.6 couples with 5 children. they were sent to establish a french fort north of the river.no this map isn't to be all forts. it will work out while materials build up.while they wait for a drawbridge and roads,they help clear trees and rock from the fort.

the hardest part will be getting it started. the workers will take time to cover the distance and get clearing done.once a few houses are built it will go quickly.a wharehouse and loft for storage .a lumber cutter,furnace, and  the governor's house townhall.the furnace will smelt iron ore into iron.2 fields are cleared for cucumbers and sugarbeets.5 houses are finished.they need 1 more to empty the barracks.

durng this, food did increase. the field berries are producing very well.even without them, the farm center has food over 10,0000.pigs were traded for as well as the 2 new seeds.

pic 1:marble quarry
pic 2:port royal start
pic 3: PR housing

brads3

Quote from: galensgranny on July 28, 2018, 12:28:41 AM
Regarding the Happiness, I loaded the mod that is supposed to show the happiness radius of buildings, but it doesn't work with many buildings.  I wish it would.  I am not sure why it doesn't.  So I just estimate it and hope for the best.

other than the normal circles for the hunters,gatherers,and markets ,there are no circles for happiness on my map.the mines .blacksmiths,nor the churches even have no circles. you bring up a good point.i tried not to change my play style too much.wanted to see what affects the happiness would have.  i went with town centers and built around them.there are many houses outside the market circles though.it  is working since health is 5 stars.

embx61

@galensgranny

The radius is set in the buildings template resource file.
The modder have to know the names of all the building template files of all buildings he/she wishes to override to make overrides.
The override is rather easy to do if all names of the template files are known.
Below is the code what set the radius and to draw the circle.
Most modders comment the second line out for many buildings where the circles are not so important like blacksmith, tailor and stuff or the whole radius segment is not even there. Luke did the same for some buildings.
Mostly buildings with a happiness factor or detraction have the circle shown like Tradepost, Market, Church, etc.
But also the gatherer, forester, hunter buildings have the circle shown by default.

RadiusDescription radius
{
   int _radius = 24;
   MaterialInstance _decalMaterial = "Terrain/TiledDecals/SelectAreaMaterial.rsc";
}

embx61

You are correct @brads3 that quite some modders have commented the circle out because if I am correct (It is a while ago) quite some players did not like all those circles and wanted them gone. I am not sure it was because some modders put circles on many buildings by mistake (It happened to me) because of copying a file from Luke and just not thinking about it to delete the radius part so it showed a circle.
I have to go over my code for some buildings to check if I commented out some circles too.

I am pretty sure my markets, mines, quarries, and the gathers/hunter/forester have the circle though.

brads3

i don't see a radius for the new quarry but i can understand why. it is a quarry but an be changed to a resort. 1 would make un-happy the other adds happiness.  the lack of circles doesn't bother me. this is mainly an experiment to see how other mods react with TOM's happiness. so far lack of education has a lot more affect than happiness.however,laborers do seem slower. with just a little  mead,the indians jump from 3 to 5 stars. doesn't seem to be a middle ground.the ale limit is still at 500.

the happiness is a small part of this map.i just recounted, there are 10 phases.

Nilla

You've mentioned the ale limit a few times. I never understood what you meant. If I look at your last statistics you have 500 in store, while used and produced about 200 each. So, what's the fuzz about the limit?

Maybe you can use the BL mod that shows happiness radii. As @embx61 says; many modders have just taken the visible circles away, not the effect.

You asked about my foot. It's OK. Soon I have made the half time. After a few days, I was comfortable enough with my crutches to walk the stairs. But I'm not supposed to sit too long with my foot down,  so no Banished for some more weeks.