News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - SW Tequilaville - Story 14

Started by Abandoned, June 10, 2017, 01:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 14th story in the Smallville series and it tells the tale of the 10th expedition to leave that town.  This expedition leaves shortly after the group that headed north and established NMT, approximately year 36 SVT (Smallville Time) which is several years after the towns of  Animal Refuge Story 9 and the Refugee Camp Story 10 were founded, and 10 years after the Smallville runaways helped establish the Mountain Mission of Story 2.  This group headed farther southwest than those 3 towns, much farther southwest than it appears on the world map. Word finally reached Smallville from the Mission that there was much suffered south of them because of heat and drought, hard to understand since the Animal Refuge and Refugee Camp were established to help flood victims.  No denying that nomads were leaving the south because of the heat.  This expedition was going south to help out.

The map is #141751345  cc Red Desert, Small Valley, Mild, Disasters on, Easy Start

Mods Used:
CC Terrains, Banished UI Maps, Mod, & Professions, Minimized Status, Wintin New Roads, Busy Laborers, CC Light Rain, 1:1 aging, Better Fields, Dig Deeper, Fishing Dock +25%, Longer Living Orchard, One More Wood, Stone, & Iron, Rock Respawn, Tool Value Up.

Kid's : Alotofseeds Trader, Forest Deep, Forest Outpost, Stone House Addon, Tequila Mod, Mexican Fantasy, The Mission, Wild West, Deco Plants, Ghosted Cactus, Washing Mod, Yard Cover, Fenceless Pasture, Storage Crates, Tiny separate mods.  A special thanks to @kid1293 for 106 versions I could use on this map.

Also, Tom Sawyer's Charburner Light & Smoking Shed, EB Irrigation System, EB Water Well, Tany's Linen Production, Red's Garden Walls, Necora's An Empty Square & Maritime Riffle, Smoking Shed, Specialized Stockpile, Tomatoes.

And so, weary traveler, let me tell you, we were sure surprised when we came over that last steep mountain and saw what lay before us.

Abandoned

Chapter 1   Year 1

My name is Theryn and my husband is Braylor, we were 1 of the 3 families to leave Smallville heading southwest. We passed close by the Animal Refuge and Mountain Mission but did not stop.  Three families who were turned away from the Mission joined our group, there was a shortage of food and housing there.  They were told to go to Smallville but did not really want to leave the south where they were born and raised.  There were 20 of us that followed the southwest fork of the river a short distance from the Mission.  We saw no sign of drought as we continue on, the uphill climb was gradual.  We hadn't realized we were so high uphill until we reached the crest of the mountain and looked down at what lay before us. 

As far as the eye could see, the land was dry and parched, a mix of sun-baked red clay and sand.  We made our way down the steep mountain to the valley.  It was hot and there was not a breeze to be found, at least there were trees still alive for shade.  We erected a Smallville sign before continuing on thinking it might be cooler farther away from the wall of mountains.  We did find some relief on the other side of the treeless plain and began constructing a storage barn and housing.  We wondered if we would survive here.  We saw a lot of thirsty animals including a small herd of cattle.  One of the southerners took charge of the herd, another help with the building projects.  She said she could tell us about the types of buildings constructed at the mission, her husband said we could surely grow the agave plant on this land and we could make tequila.  We named our town South West Tequilaville.

We feared food and water would be a problem.  We began hunting and fishing and digging a well and irrigation system.  We collected what wild foods and herbs we could find.  We wondered if the trees we cut would grow back, several cactus, more suited to the dry conditions, sprang up here and there.  We needed the shade, it was hotter inside than out.  A covered outside classroom was built and completed in time for our 2 oldest children to get an education.  By winter 6 more children were born, including our daughter Beulalie.  We all welcomed the cooler weather and were surprised when the temperature suddenly dropped even lower and it snowed. We wondered what next year would bring.

brads3

embx61

@Abandoned

Is that water well string still not fixed??? I see that the text water is not visible.  ???
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Nilla

I like, how you use the irrigation to the green pasture. OK, It would have worked the same way without it , but it surely looks nice that way! :)

Abandoned

@brads3 oh yes, early on it is always a mystery to me where the story is going to go.  And LOL I know how much you like cliffhangers.

@Nilla it did work out well with the irrigation.  I didn't realize the pasture would be green, I was going to use ghosted grasses on it.  I guess it is only cc that has transparent pastures if I'm not mistaken.

@embx61 this is where I discovered the missing water word.  I am usually a bit ahead playing than writing the chapters.  Anyways, I had the well built and when I switched well files, the game crashed.  I suppose I should have removed the well from the map first ?  I decided to leave well enough alone and put the water-wordless file back until I finish the map.  Does this neat looking well also help fight fires?  I am being brave again with disasters on.  The irrigation system is pretty cool  8)

embx61

Hmmm... I only changed the string so it should not crash.

I went over all my files to double check that there was not a oversight in the string tables for the water and all were fine.

One thing though. The separate Tannery probably still have the old string so if you have that one loaded it maybe the problem.

I don't have the separate files anymore since I combined them in Production sets.
I am not sure if the water well can be used to put out fires.
I shall look at the code from the Vanilla well.

embx61

I lifted some code from the Vanilla well and it compiled. And then I set fire to a house with debug and the bannies got the water from the water well to put out the fire.

I thought , that was easy but then I loaded the game again to check something and put a worker to work to collect water and he was idling all the time.

So I am afraid it is not possible to have a building what produces/collect something to let it put out fires as well.
It is like double duty and that is not possible.

But what I can do is create a special reservoir for the irrigation system and use that to put out fires.
It is also possible to make a copy of the water well and remove the collecting part, rename and such and use that to put out fires.

brads3

could they get water from the canal extension pieces like a river?

Abandoned

@embx61 I only have the irrigation system and well enabled for this map.  I only have mods that don't use the new flags.  The water is edible like food but no nutrition.  I used the well for the dry desert storyline need of water rather than firefighting so this well is fine by me.  I think a special reservoir for firefighting and to the irrigation canals might be a good idea though.  I will just add some smaller regular wells to this map.  I rarely add mods or updates to a map in progress especially since all the red warnings now in mod list. I could try the well on a test map when I get a chance.   :)

Abandoned

Chapter 2  Year 2

The snow did not stay around long and it was soon spring.  We got an early start planting an 8'x13' field of corn.  Our native southerners said corn tortillas would go good with tequila.  We build a special garden to care for the seeds we brought with us from Smallville and like magic many were already growing and producing.  When 3 nomads arrived in early summer, the 8 year old daughter, Tashawanna, took over caring for the garden.  Her mother said the girl was always gathering wild plants and getting them to grow in a small garden like this one.  A small extension was added to the irrigation canal and we now had a perfect spot to do our wash.  It didn't take long to heat the water and the laundry dried as fast as we could get it hung up on the line. 

By winter we had another crop field cleared and the irrigation canal extended along side it.  We were cutting a lot of trees so a forester lodge was built east of town, Brylor went to work there.  Being the oldest of the original group that left Smallville, Brylor was chosen to be town mayor when the Mayor's Office was completed.  At the 1st town meeting we were asked if we would be building a mayor's mansion now.  I said I couldn't possibly live in a big luxury mansion while poor homeless nomads stood outside under a lamp post, but I wouldn't say no to a cute little forest log house someday.

embx61

Quote from: brads3 on June 11, 2017, 04:10:54 PM
could they get water from the canal extension pieces like a river?

I think that should be possible as the pieces have no function. I do a test later today and see if it works .

Abandoned

Chapter 3   Year 3

In spring of year 3, 4 nomads were indeed waiting under the lamp post, 1 went right to work planting peppers in the new field and 1 would make corn tortilla bread in the new kitchen when it was completed.  They were a bit disappointed we had no tequila but we were building a trading post in the hopes of getting agave seeds soon.   We also began building a cemetery but sadly it was not completed in time to lay Luvenia and her newborn to rest in.  Braylor and I were both sad and happy because our son Efrench was born at the exact same time and we were both fine.  And of course there was some talk when 7 year old student, Yolannine, moved in with the grieving widower and his 9 year old daughter.

Prest, the fisherman, complained several times that the fresh caught fish was not being pick up and taken to storage soon enough.  He kept strings of fish in the cool water until he had enough for a crate full but the crates sat in the sun way too long before being picked up.  Laborers complained the fish smelled, Prest said that was because they were left sitting in the sun too long.  Needless to say he was happy with the covering that was built and the shade it provided.  Closer storage and a fish smoker were being considered.  But first a hunting cabin was being constructed by the forester lodge, and the hunting stand in town was being taken down, and we needed housing for our latest arrivals.  By the end of the year, the mission kitchen and trading post were also completed.

Abandoned

Chapter 4  Year 4

In spring of year 4, 2 more southerners arrived, Jadonis and Blaire.  They had been unable to keep their crops alive on their small farm.  In late summer, Alizeth the seed merchant arrived at our trading post.  He had a lot of seeds including tomatoes, beans, and agave.  We did not have quite enough trade goods but he was willing to wait.  There was of course a debate on what to get.  Some argued the tomatoes might not keep well in the heat, others wanted beans for chili con carne, others didn't want to eat hot chili con carne in this heat, Brylor and I wondered if tequila wouldn't make all the disagreeing worse.  Well, Tequilaville was nowhere near ready to start producing tequila.  We traded for the bean seeds.

More complaints came into the mayor's office, it must be the heat.  Residents were complaining about the sawdust from the woodcutter. They said it was bad enough when it was hot and dry but even worse when a light rain made it stick to their shoes.  A wooden sidewalk was built by the 2 houses and the cemetery.  The wood weathered rapidly in the hot desert sun.

Leilanie, who set up a gatherer's workplace in the forest to the east liked working in the summer shade but didn't bother to wait until winter to complain about having to work outside in the snow.   Good grief, we'd have to build her a covering.  Maybe tequila was the answer, well too bad, the new crop planted next spring in the newly cleared cropfield would be beans.

brads3

did you do that on purpose?you created a whole new mod production chain. i thought you were against CC?lol sawdust=composter=fertilizer.goes with having too much feathers and bonemeal.