News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Strange game function problem

Started by galensgranny, May 11, 2019, 05:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galensgranny

Something weird happened to my game.  I had added some new mods to an existing game (Red's new townhouses, and Jinxie's mods.)  I hadn't used Red's townhouses, but had placed some of Jinixie's new items.  Things were going fine, including saving, exiting the game and restarting.  But then, during one play session, when I tried to add an F variant color of one of Kid's flowering bushes, all choices showed as yellow, instead of red, purple, etc. 

I was also kept getting some error messages about Directx 9 and the game would crash.  Then, the game wouldn't even start again due to some error regarding Direcx9.  This was strange since I had been playing not long before the error message and alll was well.
After two days of no success, I started the game with no mods enabled.  Everything worked great.  No more error message.
So I tried adding everything back except for the newest mods that I had added, and the error message came again and the game crashed.  Hmmm.
I tried clearing my cache, restarting my computer, using my computer's direct x diagnose which found no problem,  but none of that made a difference. 

I do used ModMan, so I went in there and chose to uncheck all mods.  Then I added a few mods at a time back to the game that I had no problems with in the past.  All was well.  Then I had ModMan enable all the mods.  Of course, the load order I used to have was no more, with instead all the mods listed in alphabetical order.  I tried playing again, and all was well.
Then I used ModMan to change the load order for just a few mods that make changes to the game, (no smoke, happiness radiius and the like.  All was well playing. 

So then, I changed just some of the load orders to get the starting condition I had for the saved game I did not want to lose (Unity, that I started writing a story for.)  And it alll works now!  I was able to go to a save of my game, and play it for a few hours, even with having the new mods enabled.  The new mods that I did not have when I started the game show up and work fine.  Everything is working fine.  In fact, now I see the snow falling, which I had not seen in over year!

So, there was nothing wrong with my Direct x the way that error message said. All I can think is that some certain load order after I added the new mods made the game go crazy.
If anyone else gets a Direct x error message after all had been fine, first try disabling all mods.  I didn't think mods could affect things to getting a Direct x error message, but apparently something about certain mods and their load order could make the game go wonky.  Otherwise, I have no idea what the heck happened.

Abandoned

@galensgranny I do not know about Directx error message but it is always a risk to add mods to existing maps and saved games.  The yellow color of Kid's flowering shrubs is probably fall color if you were trying to place them in autumn.

brads3

couple pointers. 1st, when you added mods to an existing game,did you load the game,add mods,then save game and exit completelty and reload? it is several steps to adding these.only add mods to an existing game to the bottom. i would double save before the exit.

2nd the mod manager can save the mod order.inside the mod manager folder there should be a profile file. you can rename these and keep different mod orders saved. this can be quite handy if you switch a lot of mods or switch from RK,NORTH,and CC.

3rd you didn't need to redo the mod order for the saved game.the saved game has a copy already.you don't even need the mods enabled for it to work. if you play long maps or are blogging and posting them,i would double save. if the save file is corrupted,you have a backup file. i actually keep 1 of these for a few days in case someone asks a question. also a mistake might not show up for several game years.i don't use autosaves.

as to why or what went wrong,i have no answere. my computer has done weird things off and on. back a year or so,i saw it move the mod order by itself. like the game played 52 card pickup with all the mods. i have seen and heard another player also that the game would kick out an error and you couldn't just reload the game. in these cases, we go into the regeditt files. delete the video lines except the full screen line.game reloads and the mod order is saved.saved games all worked. only had to take out the lines at the bottom of the registry list.

these odd glitches don't happen often and are easily fixed with the registry. they can be scary at 1st,cause you think the game is gone and broken. 

galensgranny

Quote from: Abandoned on May 11, 2019, 06:31:18 AM
@galensgranny I do not know about Directx error message but it is always a risk to add mods to existing maps and saved games.  The yellow color of Kid's flowering shrubs is probably fall color if you were trying to place them in autumn.
No, I was adding Kid's flowers in summer. 

galensgranny

One thing I did that could make a problem is to enable a mod during my game play.    I can understand that making a problem during that particular play session.

But, then after I exited Banished completely and restarted my computer, I was getting an error message just trying to load the game at all, before even getting to the start screen.

Everything is now perfectly fine, so I will just conclude that my computer went crazy for a while in regards to Banished.
I have Banished from Steam and they did yet another update.  Maybe something went wrong with that combined with something else my computer was doing. 

Brad, thanks for the tips about ModMan and having different profiles.  I never tried that.

galensgranny

On second thought, @Abandoned , you were right about the bushes.  It had turned to fall when I  was placing deco plants, and since I could not see the different colors as it is meant to be, I used the debug to make it summer again.  All the trees went back to their summer looks, but Kid's flowering bushes were not fooled!  :)
So that part is separate from the mysterious DirectX 9 error message.

Abandoned

@galensgranny The 2 may not be separate if you used debug which may have caused the problem.  I seem to recall on some thread about debug that you should not use it to change seasons or something. I could be wrong, I did not pay much attention to the thread, I have never used debug.