News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Texture Problem

Started by Maldrick, January 22, 2018, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maldrick

So I spent the weekend doing @Discrepancy 's tutorial.  With a bit of persistence I'm happy to say I worked through every problem I ran into but can't figure this one out and was hoping someone could get me back on track.

Textures are rendering dark.  They look fine in Blender so I'm guessing either the game doesn't like my textures or there's an AO problem.  Redid the AO map and came out the same so I thought I would ask.

First screen is with the sun behind the camera, second is with the sun in front.

Many thanks!
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Discrepancy

looks good :)

I made some mistakes with my own when I made that tutorial - mostly I didn't get the AO correct.

Did you bake the AO to a 2nd UVmap?

- Necora wrote a good guide into doing this: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1424.msg28417#msg28417

Normally after baking the AO I will then open the AO .png in photoshop of similar and lighten the whole image by 20-25% depending on personal preference. This you will find should lighten the model. The roof you can also lighten more if you want it to be white during snow.

Discrepancy

Also make sure you have the correct MaterialInstance AO files being called up by the Mesh and BuildMesh files.

Maldrick

I'll double check those files.

Yep, I baked the AO just the way you described.  By separate, you mean separate from the UV map for textures?  Yes.

Attached is the textures file (converted to jpg for the forums).  They are all quite a bit lighter than they are showing up in-game.  Threw the AO map in there too since I was posting the other.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Maldrick

Everything looks good with those files.  Assuming the ones in the Models directory point to the corresponding ones in the MaterialInstance directory, which then call on the AO.png it all looks as it should be.  As far as I can tell, that is.

kid1293

@Maldrick
I can think of several reasons for dark textures.
Most problem I have had are AO set bad in Blender.
I have a moment before bed. Can you send blend-file?

RedKetchup

a 3dsMax user can also do it for you :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Maldrick

Ah, nice thank's gentlemen. :)

Sending now...

Maldrick

Couldn't figure out how to PM it so posting it here.

That was right after I baked the AO...so should have the settings I used.  Inverted the image, as per Discrepancy's instructions.

And yes, I actually named it that lol...I got more descriptive as a got further along to make backing up easier.

kid1293

As I thought. You have no dedicated AO channel in model.
You must add a channel to it.
Really honest, read Necora's tutorial. It is good.

Maldrick

Quote from: kid1293 on January 22, 2018, 04:14:29 PM
As I thought. You have no dedicated AO channel in model.
You must add a channel to it.
Really honest, read Necora's tutorial. It is good.

I definitely will.  Little frazzled from sorting out the mod kit stuff earlier might have to wait till tomorrow.  I was just following the tutorial steps, really.  Had never touched Blender before and have no idea what 90% of it does. lol

Thanks much!

The channel is part of the model?  So I'll need to output a new AO map and then redo my FBX exports?  Just mentally thinking about how far back I need to backtrack.

Really appreciate the help!

kid1293

You add a channel at 1
then go to 2 and make New Image
Now you are in AO channel and have to unwrap your model.
NO overlapping UV in AO!!!

Read the rest in Necora's tutorial.

Good Night :)

Maldrick

Ok cool, thank you.

Reading Necora's post now.

Much appreciated!

RedKetchup

on a side note ... try this too :)

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Maldrick

@RedKetchup

Interesting...Just plug that in?