Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Random questions about gameplay and game mechanics

Started by Gatherer, September 30, 2018, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Quote from: Gatherer on February 24, 2019, 02:12:51 PM
Quote from: CathyM on February 24, 2019, 12:40:06 PM
I just tested it on the plain vanilla game and I'm having exactly the same problems  :-[ I just saw two laborers pick up stone, walk it to the middle of the forest, bend to pick up more stone, then the stone vanishes, they have tools in their hands and off they go! No stone placed on pile or in records.

Did you check citizen inventory tab? Perhaps they were still carrying it while doing other tasks.

About flax: Perhaps it was put into storage and then picked up by the vendor who died of old age while carrying the stuff. If that happens the flax is removed from the game.

if usually fall on the ground where was the citizen.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

CathyM

Oh... there's a citizen's inventory tab?? how embarrassing... :-[ I guess I still have a LOT to learn about this game.  :-\ But nix on the death - I am tracking that, and it's only year 4, and no one has died.  I'm trying to look at this when the population is small and there's only the one barn and a couple stock piles... otherwise it'd be impossible!

RK - if it fell on the ground, it did so invisibly... there's no item showing on the ground when they walk away with their tool, after bending to set it on the ground. Do they know to come back and pick up invisible items?

Thanks again for all the help, everyone!

CathyM

Oookaay... is my face red - yes, it seems that bannies walk around with an extraordinary amount of goods just tucked in their pockets!  :P I followed several of them with open Inventory tabs and they walk all over the place, picking up, looking like they're putting down (but they don't), and in one case of the fishermen, they fish, take up boxes which "disappear" (but they're carrying 5 more fish) and go back to fishing - often 3-4 times more, before they finally head to the barn! So that seems to take care of my inventory gap...

I still don't know why the Debug menu won't show up in the game, even if it's the only mod enabled, is on the top, and I start a new game... but that's a different question.  :-\  Thanks, everyone!

Gatherer

Quote from: CathyM on February 24, 2019, 02:42:36 PM
Oookaay... is my face red - yes, it seems that bannies walk around with an extraordinary amount of goods just tucked in their pockets!  :P I followed several of them with open Inventory tabs and they walk all over the place, picking up, looking like they're putting down (but they don't), and in one case of the fishermen, they fish, take up boxes which "disappear" (but they're carrying 5 more fish) and go back to fishing - often 3-4 times more, before they finally head to the barn! So that seems to take care of my inventory gap...

Yeah, I follow them too from time to time while checking their inventory. I see some weird stuff sometimes. Hunters carrying iron fittings, kids carrying fertilizer, herdsmen with iron ore in their pockets,... ???  It has to do with how jobs are assigned by the game (once per month).

Quote from: CathyM on February 24, 2019, 02:42:36 PM
I still don't know why the Debug menu won't show up in the game, even if it's the only mod enabled, is on the top, and I start a new game... but that's a different question.  :-\  Thanks, everyone!

That's weird. Are you looking in the right place? It should be in the Tools and Reports (F2) sub-menu not on the main panel.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

brads3

on the main menu toolbar there should be a new icon. the last icon is the debug menu. when testingmods it is handy. you have several buttons on the debug. 1 is a star that enables you to see everything loaded in the game via the inventory. this can help show up some conflicts like double tagged items,items missing,etc. also if you do have a building issue,you can use it to test and fix. the debug allows you to place buildings instantly without the bannies building them.

CathyM

The debug icon doesn't show on the main menu (I saw a photo of it in someone else's question, and I don't have that bug image). I will try F2 to see if that brings it up... thanks for the suggestions.

RedKetchup

my debug is on the main bar, the original one, made by someone else like 4 years ago... it stands at the end of Tools and Report toolbar.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

is the mod showing p so you can enable it? i am wondering if 1 of those odd mods you have are messing with you. i would experiment by removing that hunting mod. i did have odd things with crops happen when using the banished plus. sometimes a mod has what i call piggy backed coding. code that does things beyond what the mod is intended to do.

if you have tried many mods, i would delete the game registry. some older and odd mods can get stuck. even after being removed, they can cause odd issues.

CathyM

Thanks, Brad -
I'm not sure what the game registry is - is it under the Banished folder in Windows? Or somehow within the game itself? I'm still not seeing the DeBug mod, even in a plain vanilla game, even with DeBug on top! I'm using Windows 8.1 - anyone else finding this problem?

brads3

from the  windows start icon, type in regedit. open and scroll thru to hkey current user,software,shining rock,banished. to the right will be a list of files. delete all that start with MOD.you will have to re enable and organize the mod order. since the debug isnt showin in game i wonder if it is blocked by a mod that you may have tested before.if it shows to enable then it should show in game. under the gear tool and reports icon should be a beetle to the far right.

CathyM

Thanks, Brad - I will try that (cautiously).  :-\ The mod does show up to be enabled, but then just doesn't appear in the game. That's even when I start a new game after enabling and putting it on top, not just when I load an old one...

galensgranny

Cathy, have you cleaned out all the temp files on your computer?  If not, maybe, possibly that would help.  I assume you have restarted your computer since having added the debug.  I have no idea if restarting makes a difference with things not showing up in a game, but I find it does for me sometimes with various things not working so well in general, not specific to Banished.
Maybe delete that Debug file, and download it again, in case it was a corrupt file.

CathyM

I got Debug to show up! I suppose restarting the computer did it... and I hadn't realized that Debug is like the biggest "cheat" in the world! I see that in order to test things, you'd have to make situations quickly, but it's really tempting to just add logs or food or clothes to the storage, or quickly plunk down a barn if needed... I'm trying to resist.  ;)

galensgranny

I am glad you can now see the Debug menu, Cathy.  Restarting the computer, especially if you have not done so in days, will often get things working well again.  The more you use the computer, go online, the more "junk" that winds up in temporary storage, and sometimes some programs you closed didn't quite close as they should.  It takes Banished longer to load for me if I haven't restarted my computer in a few days, after having been using all those days.

Yes, the Debug lets you just plop things down, add food etc.  It is great when you are just wanting to design a town for looks only, not caring around actually playing the game.

CathyM

I have been enjoying playing Banished as a break from my tasks and worries, so I am glad when I can avoid a failure in the game, and just enjoy watching the little bannies scurry around and live their tiny lives. :-) And having the Debug allows me to learn some of the complexities without having to start over because suddenly everyone starved to death, for example. I'm still trying to figure out the best town configuration... I'm not good at organization and I hate to destroy a building just to build something better, so my towns are still "organic"... but I'm learning!  :)