News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BRAD'S SETTLING OF AMERICA SERIES 2:Coudertown

Started by brads3, November 24, 2018, 10:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

mod adjustments: added CC docks,z mash,and z soap.disabled RK tradefix and added RED's TH fix. changed wild bison to KID's texture.
  new mods added: KID's old town ports<aka pirate mod>,DS fuel mkt,EB small storage,     count 135 mods

goal: mainly a test or way to show off the "free" producers. there a few mod parts that some might think of as cheats since they produce out of thin air.they do serve a purpose and take worktime. some have a limit to how long or much they can be used. they take no items in but do give items out. to set this map up, i will use the Debug tool not only is it a helpful testing tool but also a RP tool as well. i don't see these as cheats. it is all in how they are used.

map: coudertown,866513544,mountains,small,fair,medium start,disasters off.   
debug added the start camp,towers,railroad tracks,and the shipwreck and leaking booty ship.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        i was only 3 when we arrived in Coudertown so i only remember bits and pieces. i don't know why we hopped the train or where we were hoping to go.      i do remember when we got caught.  the men on the train were not happy. they threw us off in the middle of a rainstorm without even slowing the train down.    luckily for us,the worker barracks was dry. the storm raged on for 3 days. when it ended we realized 2 ships had got stuck here too.1 was leaking badly and the other had crashed.2 families from each were now marooned here with us.
      when the sun finally came out, we could see where we were. we were in an abandoned railroad  camp.here the workers stayed as they worked to dig tunnels and lay the tracks. the railroad supervisors had 2 towers to oversee the workers and plan where the tracks would go.1 stood over the camp and 1 near a river the that tracks ran along before disappearing into the mountains. the workers lived in the barracks.they had a shop to repair tools and clothing. we assume a woman must have traveled with them.who else would make smelly soap. a cook left some tubs that he had mixed and mashed foods to keep the workers fed.there was a small sitting area with a roof, apparently a place for them to gather smoke,eat,or relax.this must have been where the supervisor sent the workers from. we did find a log book with names and assigned jobs.

we found 2 bags of potatoes that had been thrown off the train with us.scavenging the camp,we found some tools and firewood. the ship wrecked families did have more potatoes and some coats. they say there is more on board but it is a mess.everything was thrown around in the storm.it will take time to salvage what didn't get soaked.

i am Kalvie.  there were 10 adults and 9 children.the sailors do kow how to fish and collect clams and crayfish.however none of us knows how to hunt or farm. none of us is what you would call a wilderman or frontiersman.we have no trapping skills. we don't even know what we can eat. 1 of the ship's captains says traders do travel the main river.they won't carry all of us on their boats but might bring us some supplies.

pic 1: map settings
pic 2: map start
pic 3: start village camp was Debug added< barracks,workplace tailor and BS,z mash and soap,woodcutter,mini TH,and the railroad tracks and supervisor towers

pic 4: west tower
pic 5:ship wreck and booty ship

brads3

YEAR 1

2 sailors continue trying to salvage supplies from the ships. 2  men and my mother head off to the towers.they will survey the land around us. another sailor takes to cutting firewood. some logs are piled and there is plenty of wood from the wreckage.2 women take up the cooking. there is food on board the ship.much of it is wet and will go bad soon. they will use the z-masher to mix it.dried in the sun it won't spoil as fast.owen takes to trout fishing so we will have some fresh food. the other sailor will work to fix tools.there are many broken lying around and from the ships.

from the towers, they can see mountains all around us.there is flat land along the river to the southeast and west.several ducks had to be chased out of the east tower.of course the eggs were collected.a stash of ale and some silver had been found.accoring to the records,trains had brought food and supplies in for the railroad. the trains were delayed many times for various reasons. rockslides,indians,a train robbery,and a blizzard had been recorderd.we did find a copy of a request for muskets.not only did the railroad workers want them for protection but also to hunt deer and bears. more than once it sounded like the camp was on the verge of starvation.

full disclosure,i did stop the woodcutter from working. the firewood,log,fuel,and tool limits were increased to keep the parts from shutting down.the mini TH was handy for monitoring those.

before snow fell,everyone worked hard.there were apples,sea biscuits,some sugar,and rum removed from the ships.iron and firewood was taken from the debris.we found more walnnuts stashed in the west tower. food from broken crates was swept up and sent to the masher.our cooks dried and salvaged  food for the winter.

in late autumn,they stopped searching the towers.whatever was hidden asnd stored there could wait.knowing snow would cover the ground soon, teams were set to search the ground nearby.there are berries to pick. they had hopes of finding an apple or walnut tree nearby. they found blueberries,mushrooms,,onions,and roots.us children had the job of watching the animals.whatever the squirrels and rabbits could eat ,so could we.

as the weather changed,the women worried about the children getting sick.they found some tubs in the barn.1 would begin to make soap.the women tried to tell us kids it was soup.it sure didn't taste like that.if our noses started to run or we had a cough,they sould splash some all over us,rub more on our chests ,and make sure we swallowed some as well.YUKK.
         1 kid ran away from the "soap". when he heard a bear,he ran back.i hid in a crate in the tower.some tried hiding in the ship wreckage.to this day when anyone tells gost stories,children laugh. they know it is not evil spirits but were children hiding from the evil medicines. when caught,the children would howl loudly in protest. no wonder there are stories of screams and hauntings.

pic 1:tower outputs
pic 2: ship and Z outputs

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

brads3

YES ,It isn't used much. here it fit thou.none of these free producers are overpowered. of course the zmasher could be if a lot of workers were sent to it.the ship wreck does have a limit,so will stop giving goods.

brads3

YEAR 2

we were all happy to see spring.there was talk of building a dock and a lighthouse or fire to attract trade ships.we youngsters wanted a swing by the walnut tree.there was talk of more housing.the sailors had given up on building a raft.any discussion always ended in an argument on who was going to go and who would stay. a raft wouldn't be big enough to haul everyone.the sailor's wives worried the children would fall off and drown too.1 lady swore she would never sail again after surviving the horrible storm.with 3 babies born there was less and less talk of leaving.more discussions involved needing more food and coats.

the wood cutter would make a swing for the children.a signal fire was lit between the ships.the fisherman would keep it fed.then a tiny trade dock would be set up.noone is really a carpenter but they will throw a shed up and a short dock.most of the rum  and all the peg legs will be stored in the TP.a bag of silver ore is kept there too.

by summer,no ships had been seen.it rained too hard for tents here.the woodcutter tried to explain to the women several times that he wasn't a carpenter.what they wanted for a house was beyond his ability.my dad went to help him.others could search thru the towers.he would spend nights reading whatever notes or books were found. us kids were put to work gathering grass and stuffing walls. everyone told us we would be warmer and thankful when winter came.don't tell my parents that we spent more time chasing frogs and insects than working.the girls looked funny running away with flowers in their hair everytime we found a snake.

i was helping gather walnuts when dad and mom told me the news.he had built a 2 story mansion.by now, he was the town mayor so nobody complained.mom had convinced him to stay and make a home here.ours was the 3rd house finsihed.before we moved in,2 more were started.it took most of winter to get all the houses finsihed.2 young girls stayed in the barracks.it was quieter there after all the new babies moved out.

the searching of the towers had paid off.some bundles of leather were found.more medicines and some potates as well.thou the sugar had clumped once it was wet,the cooks had broken and resifted it. we divided all the walnuts between us.thou peg legs wouldn't store in the mini TP,more rum barrels had been hauled off the ships.

pic 1:wanut tree swing
pic 2: mini TP and signal fire
pic 3: old town houses
pic 4: Kalvie's mansion
pic 5: year2 outputs 

brads3

YEAR 3

It is quite dark inside the towers.a crate or barrel is brought out and checked 1 at a time.tools are checked and packed in boxes to be repaired later.clothing as well.without lanterns it takes time to feel around for any hidden nooks and cranny holes.once in a while a hidden stash of silver ore or ale is located.any notes,log journals,or books are sent to my house.dad had some book shelves built to keep it all stacked.much of it is lists of workers and materials brought in by the trains.once in a while a book on hunting or plants is found.there have been several hand drawn pictures of houses and other towns.dad will read me stories from the journals sometimes.this is the closest i get to a school.mom does wish the children and i could get an education.
      the sailors report they have a long ways to go. there is much on board to be carried out yet.they have more to clear before they even try to break into the main hull.the shipwreck has 87% of its load still.the cooks are upset that mice got to the flour.there wasn't 1 bag left to use.

mom had taken to the place.she collected beehives and kept them near the apple tree behind our house.honey could be collected all summer and apples in the fall. dad  made her a shed to store the apples in.the village girls helped plant wildflowers.dad made a table where he could sit and read.

dad ordered a stone barn to be built close to the river to store items from the ships.this would give more storage space and be easier for the sailors.the 2 barrels moved for the fisherman were full of other items.a cart had been repaired.it was used to haul goods from the west tower. everyone worked together. between repairing clothing asnd tools to helping move goods,there was always stuff to do.

everyone was excited to see a merchant rowing up river.he had no use for pegegs and no room for the rum barrels.he would take the silver ore but only offered salted fish in exchange.donwstream there were several beaver dams. upriver there had been a mudslide.rocks were now scattered along  some mountains.there woud be no way for a large rescue ship to get thru.let alone it was almost winter.noone would chance it.only a few merchants dared travel this part of the river. he would put word out though.he shook his head at the railroad tracks.it had taken a lot of business from him.before he left he asked if we had seen any other travelers or indians.he had heard of a large indian farm village near a lake north of us.it was hiden in the mountains with only a small stream flowing out.

when the merchant rowed out of sight dad quietly said, " it will snow soon."nobody was happy with the news or the trading.everyone knew what dad ment thou. they all went back to work quickly.dad spoke with the trader briefly.they decided to stock some of the tools and the copper ore.maybe another ship will come in the spring.

pic 1: crates for broken tools
pic 2:repaired cart
pic 3:apple beekeeper
pic 4:stone barn
pic 5: 1st merchant

Gatherer

We're getting a real story here. :)

Watch out for any pirate coves though.
Fiat panis.

brads3

brads3

YEAR 4

as dad  read the books and reports ,he pointed out plants that we could eat.we were able to gather more food and hence filled the main barn. good thing dad had them build the stone barn.the new barn would be much bigger.we survived good and needed nothing.
      mom would tell me about sugar cookies and pies.dad missed his beef and venison jerky and steaks.the sailors would often tell stories of different lands they had traveled to. the children heard stories of cities and castles.

a merchant hauling diamonds stopped in the winter.he was glad for a warm fire for the night.he was late but quite happy with his load.he would have enough money to buy a big ship and travel to the tropics next year.other than smoke from some far off fires and a totem pole or 2,he had seen noone since leaving the miners.it had been a long trip but would be very profitable.

before i start year 5,lets look at some outputs.there has been micro-managing.2 workers remain clearing the ships,2 have stayed to search the towers.the woodcutter has stopped off and on to become the builder.the cooks keep working the z-masher to continue pushing food reserves.a tool maker worked a short time.a tailor has worked a couple winters.the bee keeper has collected honey from summer on.he picks up the apples during the fall and winter.walnuts are collected from fall on as well.in the fall what laborers are available are sent to gather food. the medicine soap was made during the winters for a few years,then left on til it hit a 200 herb limit.

the shipwreck brings in firewood,logs,iron,and rum barrels.the booty ship brings in peg legs,sea biscuits,sugar,apples,and walnuts.  it brings leather coats,iron tools,and some more rum barrels.the towers bring in a random mix of goods year to year. there has been ale,silver ore,winter coats,walnuts,pecans,plums,potatoes,steel tools,herbs,some eggs.and lumber.the z-mash is edible.z-soap is medicine.the quick fisherman only catches trout.so it is a mixed inventory.other than the z-masher which does have 2 workers,none are overproductive.together they do supply a small group with needed goods.if we had not built houses,there may have been enough firewood without a chopper.with the sea biscuits,all 4 food groups are covered with just a little gathering and fishing.sugar is not edible nor counted in our food totals.we have peg legs and rum to trade. there is 74% left of the shipwreck. the booty ship and towers do not have limits.
          we could have survived with just the masher and what food was found.the masher produces 2700 food and we only have 24 bannies.it made sence thou to use the apple and walnut trees.the more food we put away now, the less trouble we should have as we grow.since we are in-experienced in construction,the mini TP made sence. in time it will need to be upgraded.it is storing 40 rum barrels, but so far no merchant wants them.

pic 1: bigger barn
pic 2: laundry
pic 3:yr5 outputs
pic 4:storage barns stocks

Paeng

Quote from: Gatherer on November 25, 2018, 08:00:35 AMIt's been a while since I've seen a zMasher.

Tehehe... I still use it frequently, I like the design... too bad we can't recycle the design, someone would have to rebuild it - I'd like that gizmo using up mushrooms, onions and roots instead of just of thin air...  ;)

For those who don't remember -
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=74
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

brads3

i think originally the idea was for the Zs to use stuff and not mae items out of thi air.in the process of modding them that idea was dropped.most likely the coding became to difficult and time consuming.they do date back to the early days of modding.

i wish the z soap didnt have the stone walkway tiles. a plain rough looking buiding would fit better.now it could use flowers or beeswax too. the mechanical function style of the z masher reminds me of the fountain mod.it had several buildings with that style to them.

brads3

YEAR 5-6

yes,mom had told us the more food we found and collected the less we had to eat mash.dad hoped we would find as much as was taken from the ships.afterall,it would run out someday.  so far about 2000 a year mash is stockpiled.children will grow up to help.if or when anything runs low,a worker can be sent to repair things or chop wood.otherwise everyone is busy and the map runs itself.

in spring of year 6, 8 nomads arrive at the mini TH.2 families with 4 children.a covered wagon had been spotted from the west tower heading over a mountain.the 2 brothers had discussed traveling out to a new settlement.their wives had agreed. 1 was a carpenter,his wife a teacher.the other couple had tended to livestock.with the covered wagon, they had a cow and some chickens.they also carried kale and squash seeds.it had been a long winnter on the trail,so the women were happy to see a town of any kind.
       it didn't take much to convince them to stay.they were welcome to stay with the 2 girls in the barracks.while they went to work building  houses and a pen for the animals,mom planned where the school would go.she was happy i would get an education.

as the children grew up,1 went to help carry stuff from the ships and 1 searched the towers.a seed merchant stopped but again would not take any rum.we would need to upgrade the TP soon.

sadly a tower worker was killed.one of the ladies was searching the east tower and spotted a campfire in the north mountains.she went to check on who might be there. though we never found a body,dad logged that she was killed by bandits. he did not want the others to go hunting the group down or getting lost searching farther.the older girl moved from the barrcks to help the family.dad would plan a cemetary next year.

pic 1: nomads arrive
pic 2: anima pen
pic 3: school
pic 4: teacher's house
pic 5: 1st death

brads3

YEAR 7

before i start school,dad wanted me to plant 2 shade trees.a birch by the meeting TH and a  maple to shade our house.he located ground for the cemetary and had me plant dogwoods there.it would be a 10x14 next to the tunnel hill.mom had him move it back so a church could be built near it someday.as soon as i turned 10,mom made sure i went to school.she told me i had to learn to read so i could take over this town someday.it was a nice break from having to chase my 2 younger brothers and sister around.

since few merchants had found our town,he asked the builder to build a lighthouse for the signal fire.this would raise it up.hopefully more merchants would spot it.it would have an office with his books.he would keep the fire while he read thru them.nearby the builder would make a stone TP.taken from the port mod, the merchants should take the rum barrels.rum barrels and peg legs would be stocked there.as promised, he would have a house built for the girl living at the barracks now that she was 16.

pic 1: cemetary and dogwoods
pic 2: shade birch and maple tree
pic 3: port TP with lighthouse office
pic 4: last girl moved out of the barracks

Gatherer

Fiat panis.

brads3

YEAR 8-9

WE needed more storage space.dad wanted it larger but a stone wharehouse was decided on.it would store the sugar and  mash. as it was being stocked,a merchant stopped at the new TP.he had nothing we needed ut would send others.we would get a good price for the rum and a decent price for the peglegs. a DS firewood storage and a EB farm market were built.they would be stocked as soon as the wharehouse was filled.
       merchants would stop now and then.some carried more precious ores or gems.some muskets.seldom it was something we needed. they would bring cuttings for the girls of flowers or bushes they found.it wasa  treat for us to have a bite of a sugar cookie,candy,or a drink of maple sap.all had a story from their time on the river or of different towns.

by  year 10,the camp had grown into a small village.we had 37 bannies and 8 houses.5 of us were in school.the ship still had 38% of its cargo.our barns are well stocked.most of the supplies comes from the towers and ships.a worker does repair tools and clothing off and on.another has cut some firewood.mostly they help as laborers.some micro managing is done as  supplies run low and to keep the barns from overstocking.we have used up most of the stone on this side of the river.

pic 1:  trade values and wharehouse stocks
pic 2: lilacs planted
pic 3: DS and EB markets
pic 4: yr 9 end stats
pic 5 yr 9 end inventory