News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

ALPHA of Sugar Beets and Processing

Started by slink, November 10, 2014, 04:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

The temperate climate source of sugar.

There are several things the matter with this mod that I have not fixed yet.

1.  The beet foliage is the color of lettuce, and too small.
2.  The harvested beets look like they have been pureed.
3.  The chimney on the processor isn't smoking when it has an employee.
4.  The yield of sugar from the beets is too high.
5.  The sacks of sugar, when carried, look amazingly like baskets of beet puree.

Nevertheless, beets do grow and sugar is made from them, and another of Mathiesuo's buildings is in use.

irrelevant

It's the little things that count. I love this construction graphic, and that you took the time to make something special that only will briefly be seen! Thanks @slink!

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

slink

Quote from: irrelevant on November 10, 2014, 05:56:49 PM
It's the little things that count. I love this construction graphic, and that you took the time to make something special that only will briefly be seen! Thanks @slink!
Thank Mathieuso for the graphics, although I am getting better at adapting them so I don't have to discard the intermediate stages.   :)

JamieIdle2.0

@slink sugar beets are a good idea and a good fit for temperate banished compared to sugar cane.

Paeng

The 'Processor' is technically another Brewer, right? (stumbled on 'Food Limit' for a sec...)

Yeah, that crop is kinda... minimalist...
While the 'puree' pots are rather large...   ;D
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

JamieIdle2.0

@slink you know @RedKetchup found the site where it seems Luke the dev got most of his textures for his buildings. You might want to ask him and retexture these fountain mod buildings. They never were very attractive except the castle lol

slink

Quote from: Paeng on November 10, 2014, 08:10:54 PM
The 'Processor' is technically another Brewer, right? (stumbled on 'Food Limit' for a sec...)

Yes, I used the brewer profession for the processor.  If people want another new profession that is easy enough to supply.

Yeah, that crop is kinda... minimalist...
While the 'puree' pots are rather large...   ;D

I think I might have grabbed some wrong vertices.   ;D
Anyway, that's why it is an alpha and not a beta.

slink

Quote from: JamieIdle2.0 on November 10, 2014, 08:33:20 PM
@slink you know @RedKetchup found the site where it seems Luke the dev got most of his textures for his buildings. You might want to ask him and retexture these fountain mod buildings. They never were very attractive except the castle lol
Variety is the spice of life.   ;)

rkelly17

Sugar beets! Good God, @slink, you're becoming a machine.

Actually, a field of sugar beets would look something like a romaine lettuce field and the processed beets would probably be somewhat mushy in latter stages of the process. The beets would have to be washed, cut up and mashed before refining. For years I used to watch trainloads of sugar beets heading North from the Imperial Valley (desert SE of Salton Sea) to Santa Maria (well, actually the tiny town of Betteravia), CA, for processing. Imagine dirt-colored lumps of coal--definitely not pretty--in old, beat-up open-top rail cars. The processing was done in a huge building (the plant is now long gone), so I'm not sure what the partially processed beets looked like. The end product was, of course, sugar (There was a lot of waste). I think most of it went to the food industry rather than directly to consumers. I think sugar beets are still widely grown in Nor. California and Colorado, but I'm a bit out of touch these days.

Have we given any thought to the point of sugar in Banished? Baking? Direct use by citizens? Making bad fruit ale even worse (just my opinion, of course)? I would think that, in the context of Banished, sugar could be a valuable cash crop, but not exactly sure what trade value it should have. There is a really excellent book on the history of sugar which used to be a standard text in courses on colonialism and development, but I forget the author.

rkelly17

Quote from: JamieIdle2.0 on November 10, 2014, 08:33:20 PM

Aesthetics can always create a fight. I think that the problem with some of Mathiesuo's buildings was that they looked too "good" for Banished--i.e., they looked too regular, too "nice." The fountains themselves seem to me to fit in. I use the inn and the "medium" houses (for the better-off citizens) sparingly, but one could wish for more grunge.

Bobbi

@RedKetchup could use the sugar in his bakery for pies and cakes

RedKetchup

i am just adding honey from apiary and @irrelevant is crashing the hell out :S

irrelevant

I'm sure I just made one too many changes to what mods I was using. It's my own damn fault for not following my own advice.

RedKetchup

you certainly using some fragile mods and after you blame mine IMO.