Mod Request: Professions List generator/extractor (please read on)

Started by QueryEverything, April 29, 2017, 06:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueryEverything

Hiya modders, thanks for reading.

There has been a lot of talk on a couple of forums (you know who you are ;) ) about Professions and the current list etc - and as that normally really depends on what mods a player has installed, the list can be pretty variable.

I wonder though, is there a way to extract the Professions list that is in a players installed game, and parse through to a notepad doc, kind of like the awesome mod "Create sorted list of Banished mods", but for the Professions that are installed into the game.

Now, I don't know the 'how of it', but perhaps you would need to run the game and then run the mod (from outside), I don't know.

The work around is fine, I have that sorted - good ole typing, but, was wondering if a mod could be achieved??
Can the ingame tables be read??

Probably not - but no harm in asking.  :) 
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

I'm not sure about running a script from outside the game, that is way above my own knowledge of zilch.

So why would you like the list generated anyway? if you don't mind my asking.

I did write in another forum, I can't remember where now. But I could make a mod that alters them all alphabetical if I get a list of all the professions added to the game and make my own Professions.rsc listing them all + string texts and sprites, overwriting all the mods when loaded above.
The issue with this is that it would display all professions whether the player has a mod enabled that requires one or not.

QueryEverything

Quote from: Discrepancy on April 29, 2017, 08:19:19 PM
I'm not sure about running a script from outside the game, that is way above my own knowledge of zilch.

So why would you like the list generated anyway? if you don't mind my asking.

I did write in another forum, I can't remember where now. But I could make a mod that alters them all alphabetical if I get a list of all the professions added to the game and make my own Professions.rsc listing them all + string texts and sprites, overwriting all the mods when loaded above.
The issue with this is that it would display all professions whether the player has a mod enabled that requires one or not.

Actually, @Discrepancy that's what started this idea in the first place.  Here and over on BL have been a couple of requests for a list of Professions, and over there a couple of times the idea of Alphabetising the list has been mentioned by other players.

I was going to do to the ground work, collate a list, alphabetise it (with the Vanilla professions listed first), and upload to whereever people wanted it.  A lot of the ground work had been done, I was just wanting to get it all together into one easy to read sheet so that if someone was able to create a mod to alphabetise it, then voila, the ground work was already done.

It's also why I wanted to know if you could do a full screen version of your UI, that way I can screenshot it, and type it out by hand, if I had to :) 

It's also a list I can then update as new professions are added, or old ones retired etc.   :D

[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

RedKetchup

there is noway i think to "ask" for an "output" into an external text file.

but here a list BlackLiquid made to put the profession list in a kind of alphabetical list : ( a list that is wayyyyyyyyyyyy toooo looooooong lol )

100 Laborer
200 Builder
250 Farmer
275 Adventurer
300 Ale Wench
350 Apothecary
375 Archeologist
400 Baker
450 Beekeeper
500 Blacksmith
600 Bootlegger
700 Brewer
875 Butcher
895 Carver
900 Chandler
950 Charter Trader
975 Cleric
1000 Curer
1100 Dairyworker
1200 Distiller
1400 Dredger
1500 Firebundler
1600 Fisherman
1700 Forester
1725 Fuel Refiner
1800 Gatherer
1850 Gem Cutter
1900 Glassworker
2100 Herbalist
2200 Herdsman
2300 Hunter
2325 Joiner
2335 Kiln Worker
2350 Melter
2400 Miller
2500 Miner
2600 Monk
2625 Packer
2725 Potter
2750 Preservist
2800 Presser
2900 Roper
3000 Sailor
3050 Shipwright
3100 Shoreman
3200 Silk Farmer
3225 Smoker
3300 Stone Cutter
3400 Sugarman
3500 Tailor
3510 Tanner
3550 Tax Officer
3600 Teacher
3800 Vendor
3801 Vendor (Stall)
3900 Vintner
4000 Weaver
4100 Wood Cutter
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

QueryEverything

Thanks for that list @RedKetchup I have a .docx file that was posted over there as well with descriptions in it - this is definitely useful too :)

Yeah, I wasn't sure if there was a way, but given that the mod that lists the mods works, I had wondered if you were able to pull out the data in a similar manner.

It's not so much as issue, I was just trying to see if there was a way of doing it :)  Old school it is.  :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: QueryEverything on April 29, 2017, 09:02:28 PM
Thanks for that list @RedKetchup I have a .docx file that was posted over there as well with descriptions in it - this is definitely useful too :)

Yeah, I wasn't sure if there was a way, but given that the mod that lists the mods works, I had wondered if you were able to pull out the data in a similar manner.

It's not so much as issue, I was just trying to see if there was a way of doing it :)  Old school it is.  :)

you can list in the screen but cannot list it in an external file .txt
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

QueryEverything

Yeah, it's what I thought, but no harm in asking.
If there can be an option to the Professions UI to make it super large, then I can at least take a full screenshot and manually do it, or see if I can parse it through an OCR reader :)  to manually amend the list that you & BL have. :)

Discrepancy

:)
Okay @QueryEverything , if you put together all the names, in the order you think best, I will make the mod.
...that is a long list CC has.. I think I might ask kralyerg for all those sprites, rather than make them all myself.

embx61

@Discrepancy

kralyerg released all the sprites from CC.

I have them here and will rar them together and post it on Google drive.
Just give me a moment and send you the link soon.

Here you go Download Sprites
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

QueryEverything

Thanks to @Discrepancy, @RedKetchup, & the BL team (inc @kralyerg) for putting out the information, and in such a way I can collate it. :)

I will load the game and start after lunch :)  Shouldn't be too hard given that there is already a paper trail now on it. 

Back later :)  Thanks all :D

Abandoned

@Discrepancy I asked on this site on another thread when this was discussed if the professions list could be alphabetized, my comments seem to always get lost in the threads :(   However, I don't have all mods activated at one time so was unable to make a list.  One of the things I didn't like about cc was that large number of professions.  I won't use cc with other none cc mods.  Would it be possible to make an alphabetized mod of both, the cc professions and the non cc professions?

Discrepancy

@Abandoned , Yes it should be.

Same deal. You supply me the list of professions and the order, I will make the mod  :)

Abandoned

ok thank you @Discrepancy , guess I will have to pass on kind offer at least for now.  I have barely begun trying all the new mods. That is a pretty long list Red has there.  Your UI Professions mod is great with scroll  :)

QueryEverything

Ok, after a few hours of copy & paste, eating dinner, finally watching some House of Cards, cleaning out the fridge (it always seems to empty faster when Jnr 15yr old is home :) ) I have collated all the Professions I could find.

Some details:
Sources:

--  CC Professions List from the Black Liquid Wiki, and downloadable Word doc (shout out to the BL team, Shock, @kralyerg & @estherhb {I will post this over there too once this is complete}
--  CC Professions List from @RedKetchup (read up further from his post)
--  @Discrepancy new Professions Mod - I took a screenshot ingame and used it

Notes & Warnings:
I have so many mods I can't remember all the 'odd professions' and where they came from, I took a wild guess by the profession name, and the icon used, if I'm wrong, I am sorry.

I was impressed, there were only 4 duplicated Profession names in all my mods:  Baker, Beekeeper, Chandler, & Worker

I have attached my workbook, if someone would like to fill in the missing mod names (if you see yours is missing please let me know);

I have also attached the screenshot where I have highlighted some things.
1)  RED = duplicated professions
2)  Yellow = CC verified professions
3)  Blue = Vanilla verified professions (Blue is the colour Esther used in her CC list)

It may turn out that I am attributing BL or WoB mods incorrectly, or so it may seem, if the icons (sprites??) are different - this will be in part due to my mod load order and one will override the other, please claim yours, so I can attribute it correctly.

What I need now
Please modders, can you please supply your added Professions, so I can match up the data to each modder correctly, or please just post here if there is something you see that is incorrect.

A call out to: @Bartender ; @Discrepancy ; @embx61 ; @kid1293 ; @kralyerg ; @Necora  ; @RedKetchup ; @tanypredator   
for your awesome assistance :D

What do I hope
That once I have ironed this all out that an override mod will be made that will list everything in order, my view is:  Vanilla first, then the remaining Professions, both in alphabetised order, you will see in my .xlsx file.

Future
I will happily maintain this database for both WoB & BL (with BL permission), and amend it as needed.  If modders want to use it as a basis for a mod, or perhaps in MM, I am happy to keep it updated and available for everyone

I do hope that the powerhouse team at BL don't mind me using their lists to assist in filling in the blanks for this.  I sincerely apologise if I was naughty.

So - here is the list, and what I need to work on tomorrow.
So please, modder, claim your Professions.  :)