News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Wooden House is the best housing ever

Started by okkisafire, January 15, 2018, 08:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okkisafire

Hi, I'm Oki and I am a new player from Indonesia. I love game building (except Sims) and play many city building games. I just play Banished just few days near the end of 2017 and completely falling in love with this game; completed about 87% of my achievements after some gruesome death that wiped all of my bannies.

Well, enough about me, I find two interesting things as I plays Banished, but I can't find any topic which talk about it, and I just want to make sure whether I am right or wrong. I hope I'm not duplicating the topic.

1. Wooden House is the best housing
I love the mods from Kids, he's great. But unfortunately, I think wooden house still the best housing in the game (for breeding cause). At first, I tried to make all of my house into stone house, but I never do it again. Even if I play the mods from Kids, I still use some wooden house. When I found that the bannies who live on some of the wooden house is single, or old enough to have more kids, I just click the update button and wait for a couple of seconds, then cancel it. If I lucky, there will be young couples resided on the house, and I fill my boarding house with old bannies this way. It can't always turn out good; sometimes the old residents are back to the house, but I think it is better than nothing to do to deal with the old bannies. Sometimes, I just paired single resident into another family, that save some house for new couples. But do I do it right? Or do you have some better method than I? Please share it here (I beg you :) )

2. Building space
I often put a space between buildings for two reasons: aesthetical and stop the fire from spreading. Well, I guess I'm wrong. Aesthetically, it is better to put space to avoid overlapping between building, but the fire still able to spreading to the unconnected building. I wonder, do the space between building somehow prevent the fire to burn the other or it doesn't have any effect at all?

Thank you )

RedKetchup

unfortunatly there is no way to control those singles. i personnally never kick them, they live all their live in the same house, and then his/her husband/wife die ... and children are grown away ... they only thing i would wish.... is finish my life in my house i always lived ^^ i wouldnt accept someone want to kick me out for young kids ^^

about fire, i dont know how many tiles it takes between buildings. i know it can cross a road and spread the other side.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Just a small hint @okkisafire, if you want to kick people out of a house without an upgrade button; just "fake demolish" it. (fake demolish= demolish and immediately undo). Same result as "fake upgrading".

If you play vanilla; long term, stone houses pay off. They use considerably less firewood. If I remember the material costs are payed in about 8 years in a normal climate.

twilightbreeze

when I have singles, I build the tent with fire (very cheap) til they all grab one, then build regular buildings for the couples, making sure I only cancel the tents with couples first. Then I demolish the tents with singles, and either build them a hostel, or just leave em homeless.
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

okkisafire

Wow! I'm gonna try it! I never thought to "demolished" the building to kick the single/ old couples. Thanks Nilla, I think my method is so out of date!

@RedKetchup : well, you makes me feel sorry a little :( but I think it is quite important in the start of the game when our resources is very limited

okkisafire

@twilightbreeze : I think I haven't downloaded the fire tent mod. But I'm gonna try it somehow later

Nilla

Well, @okkisafire, I don't find your method "out of date". You've found a method that works, and that's good. If there's a upgrade button, it's convenient to use it that way. But this is one of the function of this forum; to help eachother with tricks and tips. We all play in different ways and it's nice to see how others do. Personally, I never throw old people out on the street. I don't send them to boarding houses either. Like @RedKetchup, I let them live in their homes until they die or until they find another old guy to move together with. But sometimes, especially if you have more houses than homes, people separate. In this case, I use to force them together with fake upgrading or fake demolishing.

I would be pleased, if you would show us something from your games from time to time and please; more questions, suggestions and discussion openings.