News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The North - Help...

Started by Paeng, October 27, 2016, 10:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

TOM there is the MyPrecious mod that has gold and silver mining and a smelter. it does not require CC to work.
might b more than you are looking for. might save you from designing and building your own. there is also another mine mod that has coal,tin and copper. i do believe it was independant of CC. very rustic looking mines.

Nilla

Quote from: kid1293 on November 11, 2016, 11:00:16 AM
One way is to build a temporary house (for starters) and upgrade it with
whatever is nescessary (falu paint). You can use 3 more materials when upgrading.

This might be the "natural" thing to make it, but I really don't like upgrading houses. If it could be made without tearing the house down and throw the family out on the street, it would be OK, but I don't think the game allows that.

I see two other possibilities, none of them perfect;

A. Replace bricks and rooftiles with one brick material and use it with logs and paint to build the red houses
B. Introduce a new profession; painter who paints the logs and you'll need painted logs, brick and roof tiles for the houses.

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on November 11, 2016, 11:45:00 AMI really don't like upgrading houses. If it could be made without tearing the house down and throw the family out on the street

But you're always faced with that when you want to re-structure/gentrify an old/early part of a settlement...?
Personally I like upgrades, because you can re-build in the same place, more or less...  :)

But I'm not married to that idea... though as Kid said, it's a good way to add new materials to a building... maybe there is a "middle way"...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Turis

Build an inn/lodge or another house for the family while waiting for the house to be upgraded.

Paeng

Quote from: Turis on November 11, 2016, 12:38:27 PMBuild an inn/lodge or another house for the family while waiting for the house to be upgraded.

Yep... in addition, I usually watch any place destined for renewal for a while and wait until an ancient single lives there - then move her/him to the boarding house and demolish/upgrade the place...  :)

Tom Sawyer

I've tried to expand the UI. Possible but it crashs if a fourth material is defined. Seems the game can not handle it. I have changed the build.rsc and createbar.rsc.

I think with an upgrade button the first construction would be completely demolished with recovered building materials. They would have to remove this stuff and then rebuild a new construction. Just to paint the house. Too weird, or?

Then only the way to prefabricate or bundle the building materials. Not red-painted logs but option A with a "brick and tile package" in any way. Or other packages with more stuff. CC has these building supplies as packages and probably the most practicable solution.

A pity and a need to change the core game for more than 3 building materials.

Paeng

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 11, 2016, 04:04:04 PMI've tried to expand the UI. Possible but it crashs if a fourth material is defined.

You could check with Kralyerg - iirc he found a way to add a 4th material... not sure, it was probably abandoned with the idea of "bundling" even more resources, which is a pretty good way of doing it, too...

QuoteI think with an upgrade button the first construction would be completely demolished with recovered building materials. They would have to remove this stuff and then rebuild a new construction.

Yep, that's the way of all upgrades (recovering ~50% of the construction materials)... sure, it's a bit slow, maybe even repetitive - but it gives you a way to re-texture or even re-model an item while maintaining the footprint... it has both ups and downs  :)

Nilla

I think, this principle "bundling" from CC is a clever idea to walk around this 3 material limit, too. But it also has some disadvantages. I guess, if you would bundle brick and rooftiles, you would have to introduce a new profession "bundler" or some other weird profession and a special building for this. That's why I suggested a painter making painted logs as alternative. At least it's a real profession.  Perhaps, if it's only these two brick materials, you could let the brickmaker have a third field of work; bundling his materials in suitable packages. Could make sense.

And having to tear down and rebuild, if you want any red houses? No, I wouldn't like that. That would be unreasonable.

Something completely different.

We've discussed old types of roofs before. I forgot one, you rarely see any such buildings here. I googled a bit and obviously, they were much more common a bit further north and also in Norway. I'm talking about a roof of wood. Here's a picture. It's Zorngården in Mora, Dalarna. The buildings are very old. The oldest built from wood, that was cut in 1237. Gathered together from the region by the painter Anders Zorn.

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on November 12, 2016, 02:53:42 AMintroduce a new profession "bundler" or some other weird profession

Wholesale Building Supplier? Not so weird...  ;) and could maybe run out of the warehouse?

BTW - warehouse... the wiki says that you can run it with or without a vendor. I would suggest to set a default of 0 workers then (that can be manually raised) - right now it comes with 1 default worker, and if I don't assign him to a warehouse, he runs around as jobless (or the building signalling an open job)...

Tom Sawyer

Good idea and I had tried that. But I think it did not work with worker = 0 (minimum 1). Therefore the solution by work button. Disable work button and the warehouse is "unmanaged". There will be no icon for disabled work. Needs a tool tip and a hint in the Wiki.

The building supplier is not bad or just a builder could do the job. Located in a building yard making packs of building materials, mixing falu red and other stuff for the construction sites. Could be more a small workplace, individual to combine with storage locations for building mats, roads and decorative fences. I'm a fan of small units to combine it by the player...

And this picture is very interesting. Just logs for roofing. Very early game housing. The well is funny. Seems they had no material for a rope.

Nilla

To the well. I guess the bucket is not original With that huge "brunnssvängel" it must have bin much bigger. The sense is of cause, to use the lever effect, to easier lift heavy loads. For that small bucket, it seems to be a bit "overkill".

Abandoned

I know nothing about bundling or CC, and only what I've read about north but I agree with Nila, don't think I would like to have to tear down houses, would rather have painter with red logs.  The simpler the better for me.

Paeng

Hmmm... am I missing a point here?
Even changing a vanilla wooden house to a stone house needs tearing it down, recover the materials, then re-build it... do you guys never do that? Just curious...  :)

Abandoned

hi @Paeng , so far the games I've played, if I start with houses already built I keep them that way.  Too busy trying to get other things built and roads paved.  I like the looks of the wooden vanilla houses with the starting barn and fishing piers and forester.  If I want a vanilla stone house, I build one. Maybe sometime I will give upgrading a try. I liked adding second floor to colorful little houses, Mexican, and old tailor.

Paeng

Quote from: Abandoned on November 12, 2016, 04:46:33 PMif I start with houses already built I keep them that way.

I see... well, I never start with pre-built houses, and I don't start with building a "town center", I'm a great fan of so-called "natural growth", as opposed to "building on a grid"...

My first houses are always spread out as far as possible, near what I figure will be future production hubs... so when I build those hubs, they will get the needed number of houses (or clusters of houses) as well - 2 forest workes + 1 house nearby, 2 gatherers + 1 house, 2 fishermen + 1 house, once I build a market it will have maybe 4 vendors plus 2 houses and so on... once I have determined good locations for these hubs, I then build "inward" towards what will be my town center (with larger clusters of "residentials").

Until I reach there, a lot of re-construction (demolish and rebuild in slightly corrected locations - hence my wondering about any hesitancy to "upgrade") will have happened already... that's why I also never bother with roads early on - way too expensive, I need all my stone for houses, bridges, ports etc... and I'm super stingy with my resources, I never clearcut whole forests or rock- and ore-deposits, but get them little by little, as needed for my constructions... usually I start building roads only after 20 or 30 years, when I have a secure supply of stone (rich natural deposits, quarry, import), and when I know where my roads need to go... As I'm not a min-max-er, I never really had that need4speed...  ;)

Mind you - I'm not saying that this is "better" or "more successful"... it's just the playing style that suits me  :)
Other players - other styles... and that's good that way. It's just fun comparing styles once in a while...  ;)