News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Pangaea - Langtvekkistan

Started by Pangaea, September 15, 2014, 11:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Quote from: Pangaea on October 11, 2014, 07:41:39 PM
Thanks @rkelly17. Looked at the gallery, and can we only add one picture at a time? Bit of a pain to add a whole bunch for use in other threads then :/

Indeed. That's why I stopped using it. It does make one's posts look nice, but it is a lot of work to get it all done.

Nilla

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 11, 2014, 07:37:59 PM
Nice sequence of shots. Planning is such a fun part of the game, but I tend to do it more in increments. I always admire those who can plan out a whole town section at once.

I agree. Cannot do that eather, I am a bit too inpatient. And if I try to do these kind of planning, I always change my mind before it is built. So most of the planned footprints, will be erased anyhow. :(  :P

I do like this blogs; To read, look at the pictures, and try to understand, how other people think and execute their plans. Might be the part of this website I like the most.

Pangaea

Slow going recently, unsure what to do where, but the population has increased a little more.

Pangaea

120 years

Appears I have spent a lot of the last 10 years just watching the town go about its business, because between expanding the area I mentioned before (building process) in year 111 and a new area in year 119, not much has happened. Built a big stockpile area in the west. It wasn't great for housing or farming, so figured I may as well store material there. We needed more stockpiles anyway. Firewood has gone up a lot lately, and I'm not quite sure why. I have only built a few more woodcutters, and haven't traded much away, but that has been the case for a looong time, so I suspect the chains are more efficient somehow.

Have finally moved into the forest up north now. We're growing all 8 crops in this market-hub. It's a reasonably good farming area, lots of flatland, and I like the idea of staying food self-reliant, so will mostly build farms up here I reckon, plus more needed houses. Food for ale making aside, we're actually at a surplus, which is nice, but of course loads and loads of fruit go into the ale-making business.

Had a scare with Yellow Fever. Expected it to run rampant, especially when I saw people jogging in and out of the blooyd hospital all the time duruing the outbreak, but to my surprise only two people got it, and it never spread beyond the initial area. Perhaps I was lucky that patient zero wasn't too far from 'his' hospital, and only one more person got it from him. This area was up in the north-west-ish, which isn't the most populous.

Also got the most nomads yet, with 323, but turned them all away. The pressure on houses is enough as it is, and I don't want uneducated people who will surely bring a disease when they are that many.

Pangaea

A little concerned... the game has crashed twice in the last hour or so, while I was doing nothing in-game. The last time it was while auto-saving.

:(

irrelevant

I have experienced lots of crash-on-saves as my pop got over 3000 or so. Got so every time I saved I'd hold my breath.

I started turning the speed down to 1X and then pausing after a few seconds at that speed before saving; I was able to imagine that this helped ;)

Every time after a crash I re-booted. That seemed actually to help. Also check if you need to defrag?

Pangaea

Made a bug report about it, so with some luck Luke will respond.

The population is pretty big and most of the map is filled, so maybe that puts too much of a strain on things - hard to say. Autosave is on every 5 minutes, so most times it has gone well, but if it's going to crash fairly regularly from now on, I guess I need to change settings around and make a lot more manual saves instead. Am playing on 2x, which is mostly fine, except a 1 second stutter once in a while. I assume the game is making some type of wholesale calculation.

Nilla

I have heard of these crashes by larger populations as well, but have never experienced them myself. I have turned down the autosave to only once in 30 minutes, maybe it's because of that. I think I was only at 3000 on a big map once, my other bigger games, where on medium maps, it may also be a reason.

Pangaea

130 years

Game has kept crashing, but lately it is better. Changed to 32-bit version after advice by @RedKetchup and it's been more stable since then. No idea why that .exe would be more stable, but  :-\

More forest has been cut down, and we've expanded the town in the north. Moving into all this forest up north means we now rely on importing logs, though with stores of ~25000 it's hardly an immediate crunch.

Looking at the stats over those 10 years, it's obvious stone, iron and now also logs is needed from outside. Food looks allright, ale taken into account, and the food stores have gone up a fair bit lately, thanks to all the new farms up north. One particularly good year we finally climbed above 300,000 food produced. Usually we are a little below that.

We've built around 90 new houses and the population has increased by roughly 150. Actually gone down a little the last few years as loads of people died. Produce around 13,500 ale per year, which is barely enough to supply the four trading posts. They're not always topped up again when the merchants come back. A bit scary to see the food crash down by 150,000 each winter to summer, but we have plenty stores right now so it's not an issue.

I attached another planning picture from the expansion up north. Luckily the rows of houses fit really well, though it's also a case of calculating what might fit where. As you see, I usually put small stockpiles where nothing fits. Glad I ended up with the three schools, though, as they're all filled up now.

Nilla

That looks good.
I really find it nice that the fields have different size. I see you build them quite large. How many farmers are tending each one?

Pangaea

Quote from: Nilla on October 16, 2014, 10:36:32 AM
That looks good.
I really find it nice that the fields have different size. I see you build them quite large. How many farmers are tending each one?

They look larger than they really are. Often I put 2-3 fields together, usually 15x8 or 10x12 size, or thereabouts. I figured roads between all of them would be a waste, so I put for example three 15x8 next to each other instead. When they are the same type, it looks like one giant field when the crops are ready to be harvested.

Two farmers on each field now, but I only used one in the beginning.

The advantage with mountains throughout the landscape is that you need to adapt. I actually find it great fun to plan out a new segment, and try to make it fit in between mountains or streams. At times the mountains can be annoying, but I actually think it could be a bit boring with completely flat maps.

Nilla

Quote from: Pangaea on October 16, 2014, 11:59:15 AM

They look larger than they really are. Often I put 2-3 fields together, usually 15x8 or 10x12 size, or thereabouts. I figured roads between all of them would be a waste, so I put for example three 15x8 next to each other instead. When they are the same type, it looks like one giant field when the crops are ready to be harvested.

Two farmers on each field now, but I only used one in the beginning.

The advantage with mountains throughout the landscape is that you need to adapt. I actually find it great fun to plan out a new segment, and try to make it fit in between mountains or streams. At times the mountains can be annoying, but I actually think it could be a bit boring with completely flat maps.

Now I understand. I asked, because my experience is that you need more workers if you build larger fields . Anyhow it looks good.

And I fully agree with you; I also like to build in these irregular shapes, trying to squeeze in as much as I can. Makes it much more interesting.

Pangaea

140 years

Slower going now, as 2X has become a little too unbearable. Getting a bit fed up of this map now, and I want to start another game soon with some more mods, but wanted to make a push for 3000 pop at least, which was achieved thanks to a building spree up north.

1st picture: Stats, showing 3100 population and the production of the last 10 years.

2nd picture: Many busy ants clearing forest and infrastructure up north. This was also, finally the end of a Diphteria outbreak that lasted over three years(!)  >:(

3rd picture: Land has been cleared and two markets put down for measuring. So much land was cleared, that it was easy to spot in the minimap  ;D

4th picture: An unfortunate teacher was stabbed to death during yet another rampant Diphteria outbreak, and you see part of the new town up north.

5th picture: Some deer are idling, though I don't appreciate the snacking on beans.

6th picture: The eastern section of the new town up north, and yes, that's another disease - this time Dysentery :(

7th picture: Western section of the new town. Two schools and more houses are being constructed.

If I put down houses everywhere now, I suppose it may be possible to spike up to 4000 pop, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered. I'm getting fed up now, playing at 1X is a bit of a nag as well, and we're tipping more and more towards relying on imports. Food is okay, but we need half the logs, all stone, iron and coal from external sources, and a lot of the fruits too. We need soooooo many barns, and in some sections they are all full, and there isn't much I can do about it, short of almost a yearly micro, so it's more and more tempting to start a new save, using @RedKetchup's grain silo and root cellar. Hopefully that will make food storage more manageable, without hundreds of barns.

Figure I'll go to 1000 houses, and see where that leaves me.

Pangaea

Interesting to go back and check out this topic. Don't think I played any further from the last update. Wanted to see how many people I got, and it looks like it ended with 3100. Not bad, although it's no comparison with the 6-7000 of some other people.

Think I'll finally start that new map now, with as mentioned last time, the no-longer-so-new root cellar and grain silo mods. Would still like to play with relatively few mods and very few trade posts. That naturally means I can't get into nose bleed territory in terms of population, but dealing with 30+ boats every year would be a huge pain in the neck.

Nilla