News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Frenchman's Bend: trying for a soft landing

Started by irrelevant, November 11, 2014, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

It's funny, I see it happen all the time with male students, down to 10 y/o. I guess my gender imbalances up until now have been the other direction.

This is only my 8th town, so I guess it's just that I still haven't seen every damn thing.  ;)

irrelevant

Year 25

The number of families is starting to pull away from the number of houses. Students and children are each pretty much 1/6 of total pop.

This is where the curves all start to cross; I shall resist the temptation to build more than 2 houses/year.

As I learned the hard way, with disasters on you always need an empty pasture.

Orchards are totally labor-intensive at harvest; you must flood your orchards with workers when harvest starts. They need nothing thru the year, then for one month they need everything.

This is why just buying fruit is better.

And when your pop goes over 150, the merchant boats get ridiculously fat. There oughta be a mod....

Nilla

What a nice looking, slow and well balanced settlement. It is interesting to see, how different it can be built in Banished. (I have a wild idea for my next settlement, that will be the total opposite)   ;D

And I totally agree with you about the orchards. I have seldom built any, prefere to buy the fruit. But in my present game I have a lot of plum-orchards. And it is really a big difference, if you micromange the work force or not. Sometimes I forget to increase the number of farmers at harvest, than I get less than ½ of the plums, I could get, if I increased the harvest workers. And apposite to other farmers, who most of the time seems to make normal laborers work, as there is nothing to do on the fields, the orchard-farmers often seems to have something important to do there all the time.

Thanks for telling us!

salamander

If I remember right, you're using @Pangaea's Longer-Living Orchards mod.  If you've also used the Immortal Orchards mod (in a different town), do you have a preference?

I've never used @Pangaea's mod, but my current settlement has the Immortal Orchards enabled.  Even with very few, and mostly small, orchards my stores of apples are through the roof, and I really don't have to pay any attention to what the orchards are doing.  It almost seems a little over-powered to me.

irrelevant

I'm using longer-living orchards. I've never tried immortal orchards. If I was using smaller orchards, one or two farmers per each would be enough. With the two big ones though, I need 8 on the smaller one and 12 on the larger one to get all the cherries in.

It probably would seem OP, if not for the fact that I regularly forget to assign the extra workers that are necessary.  ;)

So much of the production is OP in one way or another, either in how much you can produce, or in how much you can get for it in trade, or both.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on November 18, 2014, 04:41:35 AM
What a nice looking, slow and well balanced settlement. It is interesting to see, how different it can be built in Banished. (I have a wild idea for my next settlement, that will be the total opposite)   ;D

Thank you @Nilla.

salamander

@irrelevant -- Thanks.  I just realized that maybe part of the OP effect with my orchards may be that I'm also using @slink's Mediterranean Climate, so I'm getting full harvests pretty much every season, and the Better Farms mod, which I had forgotten gives closer planting of the trees.

rkelly17

Quote from: salamander on November 18, 2014, 06:32:23 AM
If I remember right, you're using @Pangaea's Longer-Living Orchards mod.  If you've also used the Immortal Orchards mod (in a different town), do you have a preference?

I've never used @Pangaea's mod, but my current settlement has the Immortal Orchards enabled.  Even with very few, and mostly small, orchards my stores of apples are through the roof, and I really don't have to pay any attention to what the orchards are doing.  It almost seems a little over-powered to me.

OP production-wise, but, oh, so beautiful.

salamander

Quote from: rkelly17 on November 18, 2014, 09:30:33 AM
OP production-wise, but, oh, so beautiful.
Definitely.  I started with Immortal Orchards loaded just for lining roadways and other decorations, but decided to use them for ale production, too.  As the amount of ale being made increases, the apple stores will drop, and everything will be back to what I'm used to.

irrelevant

irrelevant

Year 27

Oldtown waterfront outgrows its available space.

Hedgeville's expanded food production; need to buy some new seeds for visual interest.

Warehouses, just in case.

In 27 years Frenchman's Bend has not exported a single stick of firewood. :)

irrelevant

Tornoadoed!

Got off pretty easy, lost 15 dead, a forester hut, one house, a TP, and 20 sheep.

Aside from the folks, the worst loss was 45,000TV worth of goods in the TP.

Could have been so much worse, the tornado came in from the left across mostly just forest, and died out right after it hit the TP (but not before it sucked up all the sheep out of those two pastures)  :( But had it kept going there were four small markets, four barns, a school, a tailor, a blacksmith, a woodcutter, and a dozen houses in its path.

Kinda interferes with my population experiment....

Screen 2 is what it looked like just before. Now trying to decide which is more interesting, recovering from the tornado (which really wouldn't be so hard, as I did get off incredibly easy) or reverting to the auto save from nine minutes earlier and continuing the experiment. Leaning towards the latter....otherwise it becomes just another town.

Going to quit for the night without going any further. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

It is quite interesting to recover and rebuild after a disaster, but in this case it seems like there was no real disaster, just a minor disturbance. I don't know how much it will interfere on this experiment, to go on from the last save, rebuild what was lost and than go on. But if you think it would and have to choose, your 2-house-experiment might be more interesting.

And by the way; I don't think you didn't get off incredibly easy. From my experience with tornadoes, this was pretty average. From the tornadoes I had, I only remember one, that was real bad, several 100 dead and an influence on the game. The rest was like yours, or less. (In my big dens settlements I played with disasters off)

salamander

For selfish reasons, I'd rather see you back up to the autosave and continue the population experiment.  :D  You could always save your tornado'd town and come back later just for the fun of recovering it.