News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

FIRES! Do we ever win?

Started by MarkAnthony, August 04, 2019, 10:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAnthony

Dear Abby WoB,

This is my second time ever having fires in my town. Both times to no avail I lose the buildings and all it's contents. Do we ever win vs. fires?

This fire the Storage Barn and the Blacksmith behind it went down as a total loss; the Blacksmith went down lickedity-split, the Storage Barn fell last. I had 40 Banies total, I assume they all helped, those who did all worked on the Storage Barn. I would say about 20% of them used the Well right next door to the Storage Barn and the rest of them grabbed water from the river about 14 or so tiles away. Even though the game dropped down to 1x speed they were fast as you know. I lost the Storage Barn regardless of the efforts involved. I lost 4,000+ food, all my textiles, about 50 Iron Tools and whatever miscellaneous items I can't recall. Losing the food actually didn't bother me, it was the other stuff that did.

Do we always lose to a fire or do the Banies actually win some times? RNG? I don't mind a roll of the dice as long as I have a chance once in a while to not lose my contents. But if we always lose then what would be the point of Fire-fighting wells other than the slight Happiness gain they're supposed to offer?

*signed*

~Disgruntled Storage Barn Attendant

Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

Nilla

Do we always lose against the fire? Yes and no. You will never be able to save the building where the fire starts. It might also spread to some close buildings and you will lose them, too. It´s always bad luck when a full barn or a market catches fire. BUT your diligent Bannis who run in an enormous speed will prevent that the fire spreads to even more buildings. If you build something in the inland far away from water and have no wells, more buildings will probably be lost than in this case.

As a small curiosity; at the very first version of this game, a fire was really a disaster. It spread to more or less every building that stood close to each other. The only way to prevent that everything was lost to flames was to use "fire streets" of a couple of tiles. People complained so much about it, that Luke changed it to the next patch. I found it was a pity. I would say, there´s hardly any old town in Europe that hasn´t been destroyed from fire. My closest town founded late 1500, had at least 3.

Artfactial

Yes, Fire Bad.
Prevention is the best method of fighting it. Place your smithies and such away from valuable storage and housing, create well squares away from rivers and lakes.

And yeah, a few places excepted, nothing of medieval Europe stand today as an effect of the huge city fires that plagued the booming towns from the 13th century on. One by one cities decided to enforce stonework instead of woodwork.
As an archaeologist I've had some interesting experiences in cities where you could date exact layers of black ash to those events.

moonbelf

I no longer play with disasters on. For me it wasn't fire but twisters. In both cases, separate towns, the twister traveled back and forth until it had taken out almost all of my town and practically all my food and a lot of people. Farm fields, fishing docks, gathers and hunters gone too. There was no way to recover for either town. That did it for me.

MarkAnthony

Yeah, I feel for you @moonbelf

My first experience with a tornado was just a warning, it never came to my town. My second experience wiped out 2/3 of my population and buildings. I quit that game and turned disasters off for the next dozen or so games. Then I felt a bit braver and turned them back on after a while.  So far with disasters on I've had no tornadoes yet but I have had a few crop and pasture infestations and two fires; one medium-sized and one small one, the last one spoken of in this thread.

My next disaster that I just now experienced after placing down my first Trade Post of this game, a fatal exception error. Not sure why, I'm pretty much playing un-modded except for Red's grid maps and some toolbar mods. That game crash gave me a break and some downtime which is why I am in the forums now.

RedKetchup

and red grid map was at top of the list ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

MarkAnthony

Quote from: RedKetchup on August 05, 2019, 10:08:02 AM
and red grid map was at top of the list ?

No Red, it wasn't. But yours is the only one that affects the game settings in any manner so in that respect it is.  If you see an issue below please suggest the change I should make.

MarkAnthony

The fatal exception error just happened again.  :(

I loaded the auto-save from before I placed the vanilla Trade Post. I placed the Trade Post down again, saved the game, resumed the game and clicked on it's footprint to open the UI window for the Trade Post and then it crashed. That's how it crashed the first time too, after I clicked the footprint for it to open the UI window.

This is like the time I crashed 6x building RKEC's Town Hall the very first time I ever used RKEC (RKEC Lite at the time); every time I clicked on the Town Hall footprint it would crash.

I'll just resume the game and not bother with trying to open the UI window for the Trade Post.  I'll let it get built. It'll take a while though, I'm juggling resources around for different projects.

MarkAnthony

Alright Red,

That Trade Post finally got built. I saved the game afterwards and resumed game. I clicked on the Trade Post with the ? (no workers) and it crashed again! :( I could easily assign workers there via the Professions or Town Hall window but it wouldn't do me any good since I still cannot open the Trade Post to tell it what to stock.

What should I do now? Do you think assigning a worker to it and leaving it and waiting for a Trader to arrive will change anything? Or is the game basically a 'bust' at this point?

EDIT: I tried building a second Trade Post down the river from the other one. It has the same symptoms - if I click on it's footprint it crashes the game so it's not just one bugged Trade Post.

I guess that's that!  :(

MarkAnthony

Alright @RedKetchup

I started a new game with the same mods only this time I had Debug enabled. I free-built the Trade Post, clicked on it after it was built and CrAsH!

I then started a new game with only Debug and RKEC Xtra-Lite Grid version and the same thing happened after building the Trade Post.

The Vanilla Trade Post doesn't seem to like your grids.

EDIT: For curiosity's sake I built one of every vanilla structure on a new map with just Debug and your RKEC Xtra-Lite Grid version. Everything else was fine but once again the game crashed on clicking the Trade Post.

brads3

i would try RED's townhall patch at the very top of the mod order.

RedKetchup

ok then gimme today or tomm.... i will include the RKEC trading post files (just without the new model)
and will do same for the townhall.

thanks for the report. and sorry about this.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

MarkAnthony

Quote from: brads3 on August 05, 2019, 01:53:27 PM
i would try RED's townhall patch at the very top of the mod order.
Yeah, in a new game with RKEC Xtra-Lite Grid version with Debug and RKEC Townhall Patch for Necora PineSet 1.05 that fixed the Trade Post issue.

But I'm guessing I won't be able to use it in my current game since I have to change the mod order to use it.

But yes, that fixed it. Thanks. Thank you Red as well, not only for the patch but for the fix you'll include soon.

EDIT: What the heck, I'm a rebel!  8)   I went ahead and changed the mod order anyhow and it worked in my current game.