News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Does anyone want a new challenge?

Started by Nilla, March 24, 2019, 04:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

QuoteHello guys as a new member here I must say I'm amazed with all the info this page has, I'm really curious about the challenges too, pleased to meet you all  ;D

This was written by a new member named @Aior the other day. I realized that these challenges we once had here on WOB have been sleeping tight the last years. So I thought; what about a new challenge? Something fun and challenging but for everyone. Here I have a suggestion.

We have a prominent member here on WOB called @RedKetchup without him this game and this webpage wouldn´t have been the same. I want this challenge to be a homage to him.

This is my quest:

Build a settlement with 500 inhabitants use only the latest version of RK Editor Choice. The settlement will be "judged" by 3 different aspects:
A. Speed. Reach 500 inhabitants as fast as you can
B. Prosperity. Make a rich settlement with a large surplus of everything, full happiness and health, a great diversity of high-quality food, best clothing, best tools, as much luxury as possible
C. Beauty.

I like very much to see how other people are building in Banished. We all have our different ways. I think it will make the most fun to see how different persons use the same map and settings in different ways.  That´s the reason that I will add this:

Use the following settings (see also picture)
Map seed; 798597095
Terrain type; valleys, texture your own choice
Terrain size; medium
Climate; fair
Disasters; on or off (what you like the most)
Starting conditions; Shepherds

Chose one (or all) of the aspects above. Make some screenshots along the way to show the development and show us the result here on this thread in 4 weeks; before 23 April.

Does anyone want to play along?

Nilla

I guess we now know why the challenges have been sleeping. No reactions on this attempt to make one.

Do you folks principally don´t like challenges?
Is this kind of challenge, not the right; too hard, too easy, too boring to play with only one mod?

In any case; I have started a game with these settings. Category A; fast. Maybe I´m the only one but at least I´ll challenge myself. 

RedKetchup

^^ give it maybe a couple more days before giving up ?
who knows, maybe myself i will participate....
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

smurphys7

I think I will participate in this challenge.  I'm not sure when I will get the chance and be totally up for it.

Do you mean this to be 3 different challenges?  Are you just doing "Fast" in your current town and doing the others in different towns?  Do you intend one town to do all 3?

Nilla

Quote from: smurphys7 on March 26, 2019, 05:35:06 AM
Do you mean this to be 3 different challenges?  Are you just doing "Fast" in your current town and doing the others in different towns?  Do you intend one town to do all 3?

As I first wrote this, I thought of 3 different challenges. Not everyone need to take part in all 3 of them. The reason was that I wanted this to be a challenge for everyone. I like the survival aspects of Banished; the fast version is "my game"; uneducated, organize a lot of building materials to build houses for every 10 years old girl, taking every nomad and don´t forget to have enough of food, fuel and tools. Since I know, that this is a kind of game many people don´t like, I added the other categories.

Personally, I don´t think I can manage all 3 categories in one town; at least not successfully. In my present game where I go for speed, I only build the cheapest houses and jam them close together to achieve some kind of efficiency by my silly uneducated people (in fact I can´t even manage to get as much building material as I want this way). A really prosperous town would show its wealth with large expensive houses, cathedrals, theatres, broad streets, fancy bridges..... RKEd gives you a lot of tools for this. I can´t manage that in this town. And what is beauty? Every town is beautiful in some way. I added that category because I see so many screenshots from really beautiful towns. They would probably not have grown fast and aren´t necessarily very prosperous. I simply added that category to suit players who want to focus only on the look.

Of course, a talented player could get a fast growing town beautiful and it can also achieve some kind of prosperity, but if I would go for the category "prosperity", I would start a new town. I don´t know yet if I will but maybe. Beauty is not so my game. I use to get bored fast when I try to design and use decorations.

So everyone is free to show us one or more towns. Each town can take part in 1, 2 or 3 of the challenges. It´s up to you!

RedKetchup

but you said terrain is our choice.... but with same seed we can have totally diffrent map if we choose lake or valley or mountains or plains.
the texture itself should not play unless the lines of code is different in one of those files

edit: for sure i wouldnt won the fastest 500 because i always always try to get education before the first 10y old boy/girl

Nilla

Thank you @RedKetchup! of course, you´re right. I´ll change it to valleys; texture your own choice.

Edit; normally the first thing I build too is a school but if you want to grow fast you´ll need to suffer with the uneducated.

lasjoss

I did this challenge. But i did it before u changed to Valley.  And i can see also that my Climate is wrong, Forgot to change to Fair :( But i post my try and I maybe do it again. ( i have no idea if 39 year is fast or not :P )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fTyNXP14Ic

Nilla

I´m so sorry about the map but actually, this one looks very similar to the map I´m using. Of course, I have a few small mountains and hills, that makes it a little bit harder. And I also don´t know how many children you had in the first place. I like your town (totally different from how I build) and I´m pleased that at least someone likes this challenge but sorry, I don´t think 39 years is fast. I haven´t come very far yet but my guess (and my goal) is to get there in about half of that time. I don´t know if I can do it. I do meet some trouble along the way. The main difference that I think I can do it faster is that I will have 0% education. That speeds things up a lot but also gives you trouble.

lasjoss

How many children when i started? 39 years is not hard to beat i think. Had some starvation problems, and that is really bad.. But its my first try and atleast u have someting u can beat ;)

Nilla

In my game, there were only 3 children to start with. More and older children are good if you want to grow fast. But not so good with starvation.  :-\

hopledor

Hi!

I gave it a try and will probably do it again because i'm not really happy with what i did.
I had no idea if i was going to do it fast, rich or beautifull so I just built according to my mood :)
500 pop was reachead after 43 years with a stupid mistake that cost me 5 or 6 years at least (not building an hospital, loosing 1/4 of the population because of a desease)
Anyway it was fun and I'll keep in mind a few ideas for the next attempt.

Thanks @Nilla for the challenge and of course many thanks @RedKetchup for this mod!

RedKetchup

wow you did put many little details :) i like it :)

i am participating too ... but since i play only at 2x .... i am only at year 19 lol. and barely over the 100 citizens. an of course, first building i did is the school lol.
thanks you for the reminding ^^ build an hospital asap  ;D  ;D

RedKetchup

oh btw ^^

i just got to come here to verify lol
i just accepted nomads and i came here to read your rules ^^

not sure if i could or i shouldnt took those hehe.

Nilla

Very nice details @hopledor. :) There´s a good atmosphere in your screenshots. A good idea to make different houses in the same colour. I´m looking forward to seeing your next attempt!

I finished my fast game. It´s really fast. Faster than I thought I could build. I´m not so far as you are @RedKetchup; only in year 16. ;) :P It´s quite an extreme game, probably not sustainable and not very beautiful. I´ll show you some screenshots tomorrow.