News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned -Wildwood (Deadwood Part2) - Story 78

Started by Abandoned, February 28, 2022, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 78th story in the Smallville Series and is part 2 of story 73 Deadwood.  That story was being told here in Wildwood and now continues where the story left off with the storyteller and her Woodman leaving Deadwood.  It was year 76  SVT when they left and year 78 when they arrived  to settle here.  The location of their settlement is in the foothills of the Majestic Mountains just south of Valley Forge story 77 and west of Holiday Hometown of story 51.

Map seed   #937771503     Mountain One River,  Small,  Cold Mountain,  Disasters Off, E8 Deer Duck Bear

Mods activated for this map and load order are:

Map Changing and Starting Mods:   Banished UI Maps, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, CC Light Rain, climate Cold Mountain, Fairy Pines Terrain, override maps, Settler Deco, Kid Tree Replacer Fairy Pines, Kid New Flora Edit, Override Fewer Trees, Wildlife Starts

Tweak Mods:   Bigger Wheelbarrows,  Fishing Dock +25%, Hunting, Hunting Season, Increased CC, 1:1 Alternative (Voeille), override Winter Clothes,  Rocks Respawn, Tiny Smoke

Major or Must Have Mods:    An Empty Square, Nomads (Kid), override Uneducated, Storage Crates, Jinxie Bitty Rabbit Hutch, Jinxie Bitty Village Set, Kid Abandoned Places SE, Kid Tiny Downtown, Kid Workplace Village

Supporting Mods:     Campfire, ChooChoo Deco Tunnel, Kid Animal Shed Plus (upgrade testing), Kid Deadwood, Kid Deco Farm Animals, Kid Deco People, Kid Elf Girl, Kid Hedgerow, Kid in Transit, Kid Market Carts, Kid Market Food, Kid Traveling Trader, Kid Work Shop, My Precious, Tiny Herb Patch, Tiny Quarry

Mod note:  Kid Animal Shed Plus has been updated with a chicken house, greenhouses, and a mill/baker.  Feed requirements for the animals have been adjusted.  Kid Elf Girl is a deco mod.

So, weary traveler, where did I leave off?  Oh yes, Woodman and I were leaving Deadwood with the peddler's wagon and donkey.  Actually, Woodman's real name is Gusta, and I'm Dela, but I still call him Woodman.  He calls me Elf Girl.   Anyways, we left Deadwood and stopped first at Holiday Hometown where the railway workers were still laying tracks to the north and west.  Woodman knew some of the workers who were happy to see him alive and well.  A few agreed to settle with us in the west when their work was done.  Next we went North to his hometown, a Dwarf settlement that had expanded above ground and was now called Valley Forge.  His family were overjoyed that he was still alive, but not with the fact that he had an elf with him and a dark elf at that.  A few of his old friends there agreed to come with us to form a new mining settlement.  Now I'll tell you about Wildwood.

Abandoned

Abandoned

Chapter 1

Woodman chose the location for our mining town halfway between his family and mine.  His family would not accept an elf any more than mine would accept a dwarf.  My mother did not even come to see us off.  His parents were grateful that I befriended their son while he was a tree caught up in the witch's spell and that I never gave up until I was able to break that spell. They insisted we take goats, sheep, a crate of chickens, and some feed and seeds with us when we left.  They gave us more apples, potatoes, and flour too.  It was slow going especially because we stopped often for the old donkey to rest.  Any animal that lagged behind road in the wagon while we walked. The railway workers from Holiday Hometown were waiting for us when we arrived.

The year we left Deadwood was the same year that the tunnel and tracks were laid heading west out of Holiday Hometown.  The workers laid tracks across a river but saw more mountains in the distance.  They dug a tunnel into our valley but to the west were more mountain that bordered a large body of water like the one back east. The railway could go no farther west.  They went back to the first valley and built a turnaround to take the work train back to Holiday Hometown.  Four of those workers with their families returned to our valley with carts of supplies and were waiting for us.  They built a makeshift bridge to cross the river and began fishing from the deadwood trees.  They gathered resources and built a bitty storage barn by the stockpile.  We arrived sometime later that year from the north, with our peddler's wagon and our livestock and 3 families from Valley Forge.  There were then 30 of us altogether, 16 adults with 14 children, here in this valley. 

Abandoned

Chapter 2

The area Woodman chose for our settlement was a bit warmer than Valley Forge.  When we arrived the temperature was above freezing, the sun was shining, and the snow had melted.  It was quite a bit colder though than it was in Deadwood, but the pine trees were the same and there were deadwood trees scattered around.  The soil was the same iron rich soil.  I saw a few deer and bear and there were rabbits in the hedgerows.  I didn't see any chipmunks, squirrels, foxes, owls or other birds, but I thought I heard some ducks.  I really liked the ducks back in Deadwood, just as I like the old donkey we were given for our journey.  He was now our first priority.

We parked our covered wagon by the storage barn and began unloading some of the supplies to share.   There was some wild grass growing next to the barn that the livestock began feeding on, we would plant more there.   We fenced in that area and build a stable for the donkey next to it.  There was a stable room on the lower level of the attached house where he could be brought inside on the coldest winter days.  One of the families with a toddler moved into that house and would care for the donkey.  He would have plenty of visits from the children just like he did from me when I was a child.  Later a school would be built across from the stable. 

haewalt

Enjoying it! Kinda brings me back to my early days just starting out playing the vanilla game years ago. I almost would get "attached" to the settlers and have fun tracking them and each name through the years. Now on a lot of my playthroughs I'm so eager to get to the "big stuff" that I lose a little of that.

Abandoned

:) Always nice to hear good things about this great game.  Glad you like my story  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 3

I could visit the donkey everyday since our house was built next to the stable.  I could also feed the chickens in the animal shed that was built for them across from it.  It was not the same as feeding the ducks and wild birds but it was nice.  The house was nice too.  It was no treehouse but it was built from fragrant pine wood and had an upper loft above the fireplace, as you can see, weary traveler.   There was the grate for my frying pan and small kettles, and a hook for hanging the large kettle.  An even larger kettle was still in the wagon, I had no idea then what we would do with that large kettle. 

The front room of the house had the wood table and benches.  Woodman built these 2 rocking chairs that we're sitting on here before the fire sometime later.  More baskets hanging from the rafters for supplies were also added later. The coats hanging on the wall next to the fire stay warm and dry, and the little wall of storage crates by the door keeps the winter wind from flooding the room when the door is opened.   The room behind the fireplace has a bed up against the fireplace wall, a big cedar chest, and wooden hooks on the wall for clothes, and a small table with a candle. There is also a small curtain off area for washing up.  There was room enough in the bedroom for the wooden cradle that Woodman built for our first child, a girl we named Adalupe, who was born in late summer of that first year.  I was 16 at the time and we figured Woodman was 18, he had not aged a day in all the time he was a tree because of the witch's spell.

Woodman thought I would like a house a bit farther away from the other families.  There were 3 houses built side by side behind the barn and hedgerow.  A hutch had been built for some of the rabbits that were hiding in that hedgerow.  There were winterberries and branches to be gathered there.  A notice board was set up in front of the barn with some of the early town records posted. A larger house and a woodcutter were built by the stockpile, and 2 more houses.  The first frost of the season was very early in autumn and we still had not built shelters for the sheep and goats.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

By the time it snowed in late autumn we had an animal shed built for the goats behind the chicken shed.  Their outside area was on the south side of the shed facing the winter sun.  The sheep shed was built closer to the river and the outside area was sheltered from the cold wind and blowing snow by the two wooden houses built to the north of it.  Next to the sheep shed we built a grain house to grow corn and oats for us and for the animal.

A deer decided to help himself to some feed in the sheep shed.  I said there was no reason to hunt the deer because our food supply was good and varied at the time.  I had been out in the forest gathering wild foods and herbs before the snowfall.  I also gathered branches for firewood like I did with my brother when I was a child.  Woodman again said I reminded him more of a wood elf than a dark elf.

Our food supply was good and so was the supply of animal feed.  The sheep could be fed oats from the grain house, wild oats, or thatch.  If we wanted mutton instead of wool we would just feed the sheep more to fatten them up.  The chickens preferred corn from the grain house but they could also be fed wild oats.  We could raise chickens for either eggs or meat.  The goats produced good tasting goat's milk when fed thatch, corn, or wild oats.  There was enough corn and oats left for us.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

By spring of year 2 we had another thatch patch planted and a feed store built to store it.  A worker could bring the thatch from the stockpile and other thatch patch.  We also built a corn crib to store the corn.  The corn used for feed  would dry much better when exposed to the sun and wind then it would in the grain house.  Fresh corn would go into the corn crib and dry corn would come out to feed the animals or go to a mill and baker.

That spring 14 adults with 2 children arrived from Holiday Hometown.  They were dwarves who had finished their work for the railway.  They were welcome to stay with us.  We needed the workers.  One immediately went to work in the grain house.  We assigned more builders to build houses and start laying roads.  A tailor was built next to the sheep shed and a blacksmith's anvil was set up by the stockpile.  The first placer mine was built on the riverbank to pan for gold ore.  The first house for the newcomers was built next to it.  In early summer the temperature was still above freezing and I had help gathering wild foods and herbs.  By the first snowfall in early autumn all the newcomers had house. 

Kristahfer

Oh boy! I really like this one and that new addition by @kid1293 is great. Thank you both.

Abandoned

:)  I think the update to Animal Shed Plus is a good one  :)  I especially like the corn crib.  With no worker assigned it is nice deco for farm.  With worker corn production is increased - corn in and more corn out.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

Some of those families moved into worker cabins that were built by the mine that was dug on the west end of town.  Dwarves were known to be miners so that is what they would do.  There was some gold and silver in that mountain but they would mine for the rough gems that were more plentiful in the shaft that they dug.  The pine forest southwest of the mine was quite thick.  Two foresters would begin cutting trees, they had quality axes from Valley Forge.  We needed more logs for firewood cutting, it would be another long cold snowy winter.  Folks only went out when they had to.  In early spring of year 3, our son, Deshauncy, was born.

We decided we would built a permanent bridge across the river, one that a river boatman could pass under.  We would build a trading post and hope for a good trade value for our gold ore and rough gemstones.  While deciding the site for the trading post, a large herd of deer was spotted across the river and a pack of bears was just south of town.  A hunting stand was build by the bridge and there was soon a bear roasting on a large spit in town by the stockpile and storage carts. 

The trading post had just been completed when 18 dwarves with 6 children came to town.  They were from Prospect to the North and most were originally from North Mining Town.  They said Prospect's gold mines were playing out and the mines in North Mining Town were not producing as they once did.  Ores and gems were needed for their smelters, gem polishers, and jewelers.  They would be happy to stay and work in our mines.  Woodman welcomed them and ordered more houses to be built.  I was definitely feeling outnumbered by so many dwarves.

jerica

I'm so excited to see the additions to Animal Shed Plus! It's one of my favorite resource mods.

Abandoned

Good to know.  :)  I think you will like the update.