News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-testing RK Editor Choice beta 08 -09-10-11

Started by Nilla, February 05, 2018, 12:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

You are right. I've always said; farming is overpowered. I now have 6 farmers who move around. In good years they produce 6000 food, in a about a half year. If people complain about too powerful woodchopper and brewer, they should also complain about the farmer, they are not much "better" or rather as good as. ;)

I don't think you would be very popular, if you changed the basic farming, @RedKetchup.

I also know, that I don't need all this food. I'm pushing it very far, to see what's possible. I promise, I will calm down! ;)

And this building bug isn't important to fix. I can't imagine, that it will happen often; that you demolish a building site and then change your mind. It was a mistake and if you make mistakes, it's not bad if you have to pay. And I don't know, if it would have help to save and reload. This happened quite a while ago and I don't have a proper safe. I just started the game. Luckily one house was about to be built, but demolishing undo, save, reload don't change anything.

RedKetchup

i have absolutely no idea of what i can do to fix that, it is not something we can add "lines" in the mod.... thats the game that handle this.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

wait what? how big are your fields,NILLA. 10x10 on medium settings i can get 500 each average.sometimes 700 but not 1000? and you are on harsh settings.
     i think TOM did make some changes. rye takes longer to grow so you lose some of the crop. fields are closer to 350.my barley and turnips is close to 500.the cows need more pasture space so therefore won't produce as much.at least i should say, i assume the game is using TOM"s coding to the crops.none is a complaint just observations.

i can understand RED's idea of realistically needing 2 workers per field. i could argue though that an orchard doesn't need a worker all year long.you only need to harvest the fruiit and maybe do some pruning.less you are chasing birds and squirrels. that is 11 mths worth of time to balance witth the crop farmers.plus the young children can help out.

Nilla

I'll show you my output the two last years. 6 farmer were used. This year was very good. Last year had some frost in spring. The fields are all different, the bigest 10*12, the smallest 5*15, the orchards 9*13 or 7*13.

You can get this much food with only 6 farmers but you have to micromanage. The crops grow much faster than than the cranberries. I start the harvest manually, mostly in summer-late summer by 90-95 %. The harvest is mostly done in late summer-early autumn. As soon as a field is done, the farmer goes to the orchard to harvest cranberries. Normally they are at 70-80 % in early autumn. I always start the harvest manually when the farmer has arrived, even if it's only 60% or so. This year it was about 80%.

And I don't play harsh this time. I play fair but the people need the double amount of food.

(I have a picture for you as well @RedKetchup but I think it's better off on your developing site)

RedKetchup

cranberries are orchards, and it was part of my boost to orchards since they tend to be forgotten. the main change is 1 tree/bush every 2 tiles left/right and every 2 tiles up/down (vanilla got every 3 tiles up/down) they kinda equal the "dense orchards of CC"

Nilla

Just a small report from my game. I already showed a picture of the harvest this and last year. Here is one of the fields. You can see; different size. (Second picture)

@brads3 you mustn't forget one thing, when you compare your farmers with mine. Here they are all educated. I have taken a few nomads but they live in another corner and are busy catching fish and breeding sheep. It's unlikely that they mix up with the farming. You use to take a lot of nomads, of case you see that. Unless your new game has the Nordic settings; where farmers and some other "simple professions" have no uneducated penalty.

I have too much protein. It was a mistake to build a second sheep pasture. There's too much wool as well. I have built another trading port, more to store goods than to buy things. I will also build another tailor and let one produce warm coats for my population and one wool coats, to get rid of some wool.

As I said in that other thread, I had another "idler". This time it was the worker Lynwoodie. He was supposed to make bricks, but no single brick was produced. He just walked around from the cemetery to the trading port, to the market and sometimes home to eat in between. I changed a bit professions and after a while he wanted to work again. I don't know, if the change of professions had any influence or if he had started to work anyway. If I see this behaviour once more, I will make a save and some experimenting.

Turis

@Nilla You're a magnet for the depressed, nostalgic people including me.

Nilla

RedKetchup

you know you can put a fireworker :) it is a good way to keep 1 laborer permanently.

Nilla

I know about the fireworker, I like the fire, so I will put one there as soon as I´m sure that I will never get out of laborers (we don´t want the teacher die of old age with no free laborers to replace him, do we?)

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on March 08, 2018, 08:33:29 AM
I know about the fireworker, I like the fire, so I will put one there as soon as I´m sure that I will never get out of laborers (we don´t want the teacher die of old age with no free laborers to replace him, do we?)

it will act exactly like a laborer but thats the only thing, it will never switch job to teacher ^^

Turis

Quote from: Nilla on March 08, 2018, 08:22:54 AM
:'(
Are you taking me seriously? Come on! You are a shield-maiden. I want you to kick my butt. :P

RedKetchup

Quote from: Turis on March 08, 2018, 10:56:17 AM

Are you taking me seriously? Come on! You are a shield-maiden. I want you to kick my butt. :P

yeah she is our Lagertha-Nilla :)

Nilla

You got me totally wrong! I'm a peaceful old lady. If I don't play Banished, I sit in front of the fireplace knitting. Maybe in my youth, I might have hit some impertinent guy in the head with a book, or thrown a box of yogurt on my husband. These are the sharpest weapons, I've ever used. But since then, I've calmed down. ;)

I'll show you some pictures from my game

First picture

Here's the latest extension of my settlement. If you look at the graph, it looks quite dramatic. Three things happened at the same time. The first thing is nothing to worry about; I stocked the trading ports with mutton, I think totally 7000. Second I took a large group of hungry nomads. Third there was a really bad harvest, cold in spring and autumn, hot in summer. So, once again, these seemingly ridiculous stores of food isn't that ridiculous after all! Just a way to manage such situations without stress.

@RedKetchup, it looks like you have changed the outputs in the fodder, fertilizer chain. It's still not bad, but now it's less than normal farming, in every aspect. It used to be about the same for each worker, but less good using the area. The fodder farmer also collect too little flowers to keep the perfume maker going. I don't know, what will happen, if I put a flower collector in the same area, I will try it later. I will also check the chain a bit more; how many stables for each meadow, how many green houses on for each stable. There are some uneducated in this area, who might mess things up a bit, so it will take some time.

I don't know, if I like or dislike these changes. As long as farming is as easy and profitable as it is, I think it's better to use the old values, to give food producing on fields and in greenhouses  about the same productivity. But of cause both are too high. But only changing the greenhouses, make them less attractive.  After all, it's the same products. There's also another difficulty when it comes to growing food in greenhouses, see picture 3.

Second picture

I thought the cranberries were immortal but I was wrong. It took long, but now they need to be replanted. It's good this way. These 8 years or what it is by a vanilla tree, are quite ridiculous, immortal as well.

Third picture

Now fertilizer are stored on stockpiles; way better than together with food in barns. There's only one problem. The Bannis still love to carry the fertilizer around on the map. I only have specialized stockpiles. Materials; the category that fertilizer belongs to, are produced on two places, unfortunately very far away from eachother. It's clay and sand, red marked on the map and fertilizer, blue marked. But look at the content of the stockpiles! More fertilizer on the wrong stockpile! And of cause, some of the space on the "dung pile" is occupied by sand and clay!

Of cause, this makes it hard to use greenhouses. Normally you would locate stables and greenhouses together but the fertilizer will spread to all unspecialized stockpiles and all material piles. So you must plan carefully and maybe also have an overproduction of fertilizer.

RedKetchup

bah you said you were getting extra this or extra that in the storages... i just added +1 work unit somewhere (i think was stables) to make it more equal ^^
i can maybe took out -1 work unit from greenhouse to make them better and see how it goes from there.

about the fodder farmer, thats not their job to collect flowers, it is florist's job; you need to put one.

we cant make a specialized stockpile for the dung unless i use 1 of the 2 last flag reserved.