News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The perpetual flowerchild commune challenge

Started by kee, March 02, 2015, 02:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kee

EDIT: A few tweaks to the text to reflect that it's an open challenge.

Quite a while back I experimented with having only boarding houses as housing for my little test subjects. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=382.0
That village reached about 250 souls before I gave up on it (a save went bad and it was quite a while back to the last one. Autosave is a fine thing).
I've recently started an other little commune and managed to throw together a boarding house first year without ever building a standard house. They survived the first winter hand to mouth and then developed a healthy surplus of food. The evict everyone trick seems to be working now as well. Perhaps it can be seen as a form of maypole dancing. Perhaps even the landlords daughter will pay the pub a visit.
Anyways, I thought this might be food for a challenge:
You shall build a thriving community with boarding houses as the only housing

Use any map seed
Any size
Any terrain
Any climate
Starting conditions hard (no houses, remember)
Disasters on (hey, a little randomness and chaos never hurt, right?)
Mods who alter the behavior of births, deaths, boarding houses and nomads forbidden.

Lets say we play to year 50.
There are several goals to measure how well you've done:
*Number of banishims
*Hearts and stars- these should be both over four (four and a half and five is your target)
*Percentage educated- which means that nomad acceptance for number of banishims will make this one suffer
--------------
* For those who want to do this really really hardcore you must meet the criteria for 'one with nature' -400 banishims without ever building a field, orchard or pasture. UPDATE: To make things interesting enough, only one tradeport is allowed for hardcore.

The scoring is computed as follows:
Population value is the total population
Education value is population X percentage educated
Stars value is population /5 (max stars) X achieved stars
Hearts value is population /5 (max hearts) X achieved hearts

Discover the micromanager within. Give this challenge a try.

PS This is an open challenge- find a new way of maximising your commune? Want to add multiple entries? Do post it and your score- I'll try to keep an updated scorecard. DS
Kim Erik

Nilla

Thank you @kee, you're challenges are great!

I know I tried this a long time ago but I didn't build very much. But this time I will give it a real try.

I have a question to this "one with nature" -"hardcore" variation. What about trading ports? To my opinion, the easiest way to support a settlement is with trade. The "one with nature" achievement is one of the easiest. I suggest that if we really want this variation be a bit harder; only one trading port is allowed.

assobanana76

.. but I always knew in the boarding house the citizens would not reproduce ..  ???
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Nilla

Quote from: assobanana76 on March 02, 2015, 02:53:34 AM
.. but I always knew in the boarding house the citizens would not reproduce ..  ???
Than you know wrong @assobanana76, they act as any other family, reproduce as usual. The only difference is they do not form new families without "help".

help= fake demolish the buildings

assobanana76

for real ??  :o
think that was the main reason why I've never built one!  :-\

what I have to "pretend" to demolish?
the boarding house? and then what happens?
they return in forming new families?
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Bracken

Maybe I'll give it a go, depend how much time I have.  You know you start without any houses on Medium setting as well as Hard? It's only Easy setting that provides you with houses.

kee

@assobanana76 In order for them to form new families you mark the house for demolition, watch them wander around thinking of a yellow house, then remove the demolition order. New families will form, producing new children. Without this trick the grown children in a family will not find a partner and produce children on their own. Lesson to the mothers out there: No grandchildren for you if you keep listening at the door!
The trick even works on normal houses if you'd like to see some new family arrangements.
Kim Erik

kee

@Nilla You are right. I think we should take on board that prerequisite. Will edit the post. It's either that or not allow any trading in orchard, field or pasture products- which would be even more hardcore come to think of it.
@Bracken Hm. Forgot that. Anyways, I like the look of the cart and part of the challenge is to get that boarding house up before they freeze to death first winter, which would be easier with the materials available at medium.
Kim Erik

Bracken

Nilla

I've started a game with only boarding houses. Survived the start with only small problems, even got the school ready in time for all children to be educated. The boarding house has a very big store. So if you haven't started a game yet and want to give it a try: No panic if the stores of food and firewood are empty.

But I am not sure I like all the the micromanagement. It would be OK if all possible new couple would be established, if you fake demolish the building once. But no, many young people, I try to throw out from mum's care, often need several attempts, before they find a partner and that's quite annoying.

I have played 15 years now, we´ll see if I make it to the 50.

solarscreen

Let me know who your winner is and I will post in the Champion Post and add them to the Champions group.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

kee

So far we only have one taker.
I am trying to build a community myself at the moment and have found one weakness in my masterplan:
I've placed the school too close to two boarding houses. A bit sloppy marking when "demolishing" and I render the whole boiling to doofus prime.
Kim Erik

salamander

Quote from: kee on March 03, 2015, 02:30:46 PM
So far we only have one taker.
I want to give this one a try after a bare 'pass' on your first challenge.  Hopefully, I'll have some time over this coming weekend and next week, which is our spring break.

Quote from: kee on March 03, 2015, 02:30:46 PMI am trying to build a community myself at the moment and have found one weakness in my masterplan:
I've placed the school too close to two boarding houses. A bit sloppy marking when "demolishing" and I render the whole boiling to doofus prime.
Afraid you've lost me on this one.  ???

kee

I bloody well marked the school for demolishing, didn't I. Even if retracted immediately all students are kicked into adulthood without education. Big productivity hit.
Kim Erik

assobanana76

Quote from: kee on March 02, 2015, 07:34:46 AM
@assobanana76 In order for them to form new families you mark the house for demolition, watch them wander around thinking of a yellow house, then remove the demolition order. New families will form, producing new children. Without this trick the grown children in a family will not find a partner and produce children on their own. Lesson to the mothers out there: No grandchildren for you if you keep listening at the door!
The trick even works on normal houses if you'd like to see some new family arrangements.
I will not attend to the challenge because I have little time to play but I will create a vegan commune in my Las Vegans!
one of the blocks (12x12) will be dedicated to it with a lot of fences, crops and orchards!
unfortunately a boarding house is huge !!
it will be a little tight in a 12x12 (like the rest of the map), but I will try to do anyway a nice thing!