News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant - Sink Mill: trying for 5000, got 6000 instead

Started by irrelevant, August 15, 2014, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

yeah :( i dunno if it has to do with the lengh citizens they can do to make a job :S as we know, luke upgraded it in a patch long time ago :P
bah he started by reducing it, then people complained the laborers werent going to chop the trees/rocks/build when too far, and then he put it back far away.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Maybe I have too many laborers, over 1000 of them. Going to try assigning 4 farmers/farm.

Something I just noticed, the merchants come more frequently as your pop increases. Just went over 5000, and this year they have come in Late Winter, Late Spring, and now Late Summer. While it doesn't really make it so you can buy more stuff, cause you don't have more stuff to trade away, it does make it so you don't need to buy things like stone, iron, and wool from every last boat that has them. I'm going to stop ordering those items from the general goods merchants (or from most of them anyway), with the idea that they will then bring more food.

RedKetchup

yeah that was doing at the end of my old big city... i let the GG to bring what he wanted :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

If I have a city that depends much on trade, I always order from the merchants; I think it's a waste of capacity, to let them bring what they want; especially the GG-merchant who carries the most. Of cause, you have to have enough stuff to sell, to be able to buy everything he brings. If not, it might be better not to order.

In Sink Mill, that maybe has too few TP for its size, I think it's most important, that you really use every merchant to the limits.

irrelevant

@Nilla I'm still going to order Logs, Apples, and Pecans from the GG, just not Wool, Iron, Steel Tools, or Stone. I'll get those from the Resource Merchant.

Nilla

That's exactly what I meant.

One more question; How long will you build stone houses? If I remember right it takes 5-6-7 years (depending on climate) to pay off the building materials with the less firewood.

irrelevant

I have about 9000 stone in stock, still buying more all the time, 200 here, 300 there. I'll continue to build stone houses for as long as I can. It will take 6-7 more years to reach the goal (now in Autumn 74), so I need to conserve firewood for some years yet. I'm not worried so much about paying off the building materials as I am concerned that I will burn through all my firewood. I'm starting to gradually phase out firewood in TPs.....not restocking it all as I spend it.

I'm being very conservative here because I have no confidence in my firewood production. It is declining year by year due to more and more choppers living far from work. As the old ones die, the "new hires" can come from anywhere it seems.

irrelevant

I suppose I could start buying firewood instead of all that stone. That idea is distasteful to me though  ;D Besides, firewood is pretty expensive for something you are just going to set on fire. Plus, the mats saved by building one wooden house instead of a stone house only buys 171 sticks of firewood. Course, looking at it that way, that is about 7 years worth of the difference needed by a wooden house vs a stone one. Hmmm.

Trizeropz

irrelevant

Trizeropz

yeah i used the space i got from stock piles that i reduced due to lack of logs in late game;)

Nilla

I would stop buying stones and as the stockpiles gets more and more empty, like @Trizeropz says, build woodcutters instead.

The sinking productivity is a problem and I think it´s a good idea to let as many laborers as posssible take other proffessions. Also always look at the builders (I´m sure you do). Builders might mix things up.

irrelevant

I was wrong on the calculation of the amount of firewood that could be purchased with the difference between building wood vs stone.

Here is the correct calculation:

Logs:    24 - 16 = 8 x 2 = 16
Stone:  40 - 8 = 32 x 8 = 256
Iron:   10 - 0 = 10 x 6 = 60

16 + 256 + 60 = 332 / 4 = 83 firewood purchased with construction mat savings.

That isn't enough to justify building wood vs stone.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on May 20, 2015, 05:05:58 PM
I would stop buying stones and as the stockpiles gets more and more empty, like @Trizeropz says, build woodcutters instead.

The sinking productivity is a problem and I think it´s a good idea to let as many laborers as possible take other professions. Also always look at the builders (I´m sure you do). Builders might mix things up.

I am going to continue to buy stone, but more slowly than I have been. If I get too much, I can just trade it right back.

But what I am going to do as quickly as possible, is to lay the foundations for all the houses I will build in the next five years. That will clear out the stockpiles. It also will clarify the stone situation.

The one snag here is I'm still waiting for tombstones to evaporate in the former cemeteries! >:( ;D

irrelevant

I also have a pretty good stock of goodies squirreled away in the TPs  :D