News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant - Sink Mill: trying for 5000, got 6000 instead

Started by irrelevant, August 15, 2014, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Thanks for posting those pictures, very interesting. In the first few pictures, everything looks setup to supply the Trading OPs (:D), but you appear to have similar overlap between all markets. I've rather had them slightly touching, more similar to how I set up neighbouring foresters for instance. Guess that's not efficient enough. I have a lot to learn :p

Btw, doesn't the game lag horribly with such population numbers on a large map? Do you play with all graphics settings off? Admittedly I'm using everything on full tilt now, but I'm already noticing slight lags from time to time - and that is with a new computer.

irrelevant

Quote from: Pangaea on September 18, 2014, 11:28:55 PM
Thanks for posting those pictures, very interesting. In the first few pictures, everything looks setup to supply the Trading OPs (:D), but you appear to have similar overlap between all markets. I've rather had them slightly touching, more similar to how I set up neighbouring foresters for instance. Guess that's not efficient enough. I have a lot to learn :p
It's just one way to do it, I'm not saying it's the right way; it certainly is not the only way. But having the markets this close together is what allows me to have so many breweries though, and to have them producing at this level (87 produce ~40,000 ale last year, 459 average), it's the best way to insure that if there is fruit around at all, there will be some in this particular spot, at the market. And believe me, there is plenty of fruit  ;)

Ale is the only way I can have enough food for this kind of pop, gotta buy so much food.

"Trading OPs" that's good. ;D

Quote from: Pangaea on September 18, 2014, 11:28:55 PMBtw, doesn't the game lag horribly with such population numbers on a large map? Do you play with all graphics settings off? Admittedly I'm using everything on full tilt now, but I'm already noticing slight lags from time to time - and that is with a new computer.
Yes, it's pretty slow, especially when the merchants are arriving (mine all come at the same time). Yes, the graphics are turned down as low as I can figure out how to set them. If I could turn them down more I would, but I know very little about tweaking hardware settings.

Nilla

I have a small question;

Have you noticed any difference of how slow the game is in spring/autumn compared to winter?

The background to my question:

In my last game, as I tested the milk and honey in a bit larger scale, I had a bit fragile supply and once, with about 2500 people I had no tools. At the most I think about 400 was tool-less at some time. The game became so slow that if the "armada" of tradesmen hadn´t bin saving me, I would have given it up. Before and after these problems , the game was a bit slower, but still good playable (medium map). I have noticed this before. Seems that it takes a lot of computing power to look for tools. I think we have also noticed, that if we have too many free builders, looking for building commissions; the game gets slower. But what is about laborers, looking for something to carry? In winter, when there is no farming to do, the farmers all act as laborers. In my biggest game (the 4k on a medium map) I didn´t have much farming left, to notice anything, but you got a lot of farmers unemployed in winter.

So, back to my question, do these unemployed farmers together with the normal amount of laborers, all looking for work, make the game slower?

irrelevant

@Nilla I have not really noticed any difference in seasons up to now, but in my case the lag is so much worse when my merchants are on the map (I have herded them into a pack, all arriving and leaving within the space of a month or maybe two), when I do finally do turn them all loose from the TPs, the difference is such a relief!

But now that you mention it, I'll pay more attention to winter lag vs the rest of the year. Even then it may be difficult to figure out, as they currently are arriving in late winter and leaving sometime in the spring.

irrelevant

"Llewellin the builder fell off a ladder and died."

Good! Idling bastard deserved it. ;)

Pangaea

Do you usually build enough chapels and graveyards on these maps, and if not, is there any real downside to not doing so? Will the people get noticeably less happy due to deaths for example, or will ale and such make up for this?

irrelevant

This is the first town in which I have not done so. Overall happiness has not suffered much, four and a half stars where I've always had five. I haven't checked individual happiness cause there are just too many guys. I've never had enough chapels; I've run out of cemetery space a couple of times, and I'm about to do so again, this time for good. In any case there is nothing to do about it, I'm out of space to spend on that stuff. I have no idea whether all the taverns have helped. Happiness is another black box.

irrelevant

Found one. Of course it's my critical path builder. Not sure why she's so unhappy. Maybe the pressure of her high-visibility job has made her crack. Her husband and son are both 5 stars. Maybe they're just jerks.

Pangaea

She has probably lost somebody then, a parent or sibling, with no grave to go to. At those sizes though, it must be nigh on impossible to keep up with chapels and gravestones. Must be maybe a thousand people in the ground at any one moment, and that  takes space which can be better used for farms or industry. As long as the overall happiness is still good, it's probably not all that important.

irrelevant

Only six farms. More houses than I'd expected though. And that's what really matters, closing in on 4000.

Wooden houses was a good choice.

irrelevant

Early Winter 68 - Pop 4000!

Education is nearly maxxed; must be time for more nomads. ;D

Those farms wont be placed in service in 69, not until 70.

Screen 2 - major urbanization project

irrelevant

Up to now, I haven't been aggressive enough about building houses. No more. Population stability and sustainability is not a major concern at this point. I could finish this probably in three or four years of growth like this plus a big wad of nomads at just the right moment to push me over the top, a la @RedKetchup  ;D

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

I see on one picture you have built wooden houses, but I see a lot of stone houses as well.

I have read your blog from the start and my opinion is, you do nothing without a thoroughly considered reason. What is the reason for this?

irrelevant

@Nilla The first twenty or thirty houses I built in this town were wooden, I upgraded some but others still are dotted around here and there. I didn't have enough stone for stone houses then, and I wanted to push the pop early by giving every couple a house ASAP.

The houses I am building now also are wooden, I have made this decision in a effort to work around the issues I am having with builders. Wooden houses require 30 labor units, stone houses require 45 labor units. That's the reason.

I figure I'll be done with this town in just a few years, so there is no real reason to build quality, thinking of the future. I have plenty of firewood, the only thing I want now is for the population to grow.