Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant - Sink Mill: trying for 5000, got 6000 instead

Started by irrelevant, August 15, 2014, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Quote from: irrelevant on September 21, 2014, 07:23:29 AM
Quote from: Pangaea on September 20, 2014, 09:59:53 PM

Interesting! Is long commuting to their school the reason people can stay in school for so long? I thought it was random.

Well done and congratulations with 4500 :)

@Pangaea Thanks!

No, if a student attends a school directly next to where she lives, she can graduate when she turns 16. So, education takes 5 years of school, and to that you add how much time is spent walking back and forth. Normally it isn't so much but in a town like this it can be.

Good to know! Could be a big mistake to put up loads of schools, just to make up the numbers, in a remote location then. I happened to put up a cluster of schools in my main savegame, but thankfully it happened to be close to the main population centre, so it should probably work out okay.

irrelevant

I tried to put one near every market (I normally lay out a market together with all surrounding buildings, farms, and roads at the same time), and then add a few more wherever I could fit one in. Turned out not to be enough here. And the fact that graduations were delayed due to long commutes, has also led to the fact that I don't have enough classroom space. If students were all graduating before age 20, the schools would be 1/3 empty.

Like so many other systems in this game, once the school system becomes stressed, it can easily spiral out of control.

I can easily imagine that this started out as a local problem, school(s) in one area filled up, students from that area started filling up schools in surrounding areas, pushing students in those areas further out, etc.

rkelly17

Quote from: Pangaea on September 21, 2014, 09:15:38 AM
Good to know! Could be a big mistake to put up loads of schools, just to make up the numbers, in a remote location then. I happened to put up a cluster of schools in my main savegame, but thankfully it happened to be close to the main population centre, so it should probably work out okay.

I always spread schools around the map--one near every market square--since I had one poor fellow still in school at 23 because he lived so far from the school. I used to build a new school just before the old ones maxed out. Now I build them profligately even if only half the slots are filled.

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 21, 2014, 10:00:27 AM
Quote from: Pangaea on September 21, 2014, 09:15:38 AM

I always spread schools around the map--one near every market square--since I had one poor fellow still in school at 23 because he lived so far from the school. I used to build a new school just before the old ones maxed out. Now I build them profligately even if only half the slots are filled.
In my case here, building a new school "just in time" is just not possible. Not only are children turning 10yo at a furious pace, it also takes months to build a new school given the issue with builders.

But 99% of the time, "just in time" is fine. As long as you keep an eye on your school cap. Too bad there isn't an alert for this, like production limits.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on September 21, 2014, 10:17:52 AM
But 99% of the time, "just in time" is fine. As long as you keep an eye on your school cap. Too bad there isn't an alert for this, like production limits.

True enough. I'm just trying to get everybody through school as quickly as possible.

Nilla

I am not sure of this, but as far as I have checked it out the students stay in the school they started, until they have spent the necessary time in the classroom and are considered adults. They don´t change schools so as the adults changes their workplaces. (or maybe they do but it takes a longer time than I have looked): After I noticed this I always build many schools all over the map, generally long before I need them. But I understand with 4.5 k it is really hard.

I cross my fingers for those 600 nomads you are waiting for!!!!!

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on September 21, 2014, 11:51:24 AM
I am not sure of this, but as far as I have checked it out the students stay in the school they started, until they have spent the necessary time in the classroom and are considered adults. They don´t change schools so as the adults changes their workplaces. (or maybe they do but it takes a longer time than I have looked): After I noticed this I always build many schools all over the map, generally long before I need them. But I understand with 4.5 k it is really hard.

I cross my fingers for those 600 nomads you are waiting for!!!!!
Thanks @Nilla. I finally got some more schools built; now the number of students has dropped significantly. Oh well, crisis passed anyway.

irrelevant

Late Spring 73 - pop 4851

Now that essentially nothing is happening, except for 3-4 houses at a time being built, the lag has become almost bearable. Sometimes even running at 10x :o But the merchants will be here soon, and it will be back to a crawl.

All those wooden houses there, and the market and the 7 schools, all were carved out of the sheep pastures that have been there since the early years of this town. Makes me a little nostalgic for the old days  :'( :D

irrelevant

Early Winter 73 - pop 5000!

Going to keep going though, because you know what? I want those nomads, and even if I get 900 of them, I think this town can take them, for a year anyway. ;) And now that I only have 6 builders working, nothing else going on, the lag isn't bad, running on 5x and even 10x sometimes.

RedKetchup

A BIG CONGRATULATION ! My Friend !

you did it !!!!!!!
you took your time but your city can take 1-2 more k :)
you are THE Master :)

Grats my friend !
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Nilla

:D   :D   :D

Congratulations!

You did it, didn´t doubt a second, you could make it. You build so beautifully (not only to look at, for me beauty is also function). and patiant, and a decent computer..... nothing can go wrong!!!"!!!

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on September 22, 2014, 02:49:16 AM
:D   :D   :D

Congratulations!

You did it, didn´t doubt a second, you could make it. You build so beautifully (not only to look at, for me beauty is also function). and patiant, and a decent computer..... nothing can go wrong!!!"!!!

@Nilla thank you so much! And as far as "nothing can go wrong," here's knocking on wood! ;)

rkelly17

Congratulations, @irrelevant on achieving 5000, a number I can only dream of. Not only excellent work, but dogged persistence as well.

Pangaea

Fantastic achievement and congratulations. 10,000 next? :D