News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The weather

Started by kee, March 26, 2015, 01:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

On the way out to my model train club (in the country between Kitchener-Waterloo and Guelph, Ontario) last night got caught in the middle of a major snow squall. Woke up this morning to -3 C and snow on the ground. The snow is now melting, but the furnace is still coming on to keep the house at 19 C at 10:30 AM. Not my idea of fun for April 23.

A Nonny Moose

11 a.m. -2 degrees (wind chill -8) just 20 Km east of Lake Huron.  The weather mavens are predicting a high of 3 this afternoon.  Feels more like March than April.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Nilla

These big lakes, how do they influence the climate? We have lakes here too, much smaller, but still real lakes and they do influence the climate local. My son lives 80 km away and the wheather is often very different from here. We live 150 m from one smaller and 5 km away from a big one.

In spring we have this cold wind, in summer the clouds sweeps away and we have much sun, the autumns are warmer and the winter, it's different depending on if it's ice on the lakes or not.

A Nonny Moose

The upper great lakes are like inland seas.  Lake Superior is big enough to have tides and swells.  I've only been on it in a small boat (40 ft.) once, and it was like being on the ocean.  Huron is more land-locked so doesn't get the big storms and sea effects but it can still swallow large ships, and has done so frequently.

The remaining lakes are tiny by comparison:

St. Clair is a wide spot in the river.

Erie is very shallow, so in any kind of wind it rolls up quickly.  Lake effect snow often buries the City of Buffalo, NY.  There is a large pool of natural gas under this lake.

Ontario, the last in the chain, it the largest of the lower three, but doesn't have quite the nasty effects of the upper lakes.  I've done a lot of sailing on it, and it can be as contrary as any large body of water even though it really isn't very deep.  283 m. at the deepest hole down by the St. Lawrence River.  However, with Canada's largest city (Toronto) on its west shore, Lake Ontario can have some rather nasty storms that head for this big city because of the heat low that rises from the city.  The west shore of the lake, from Niagara-on-the-Lake to the mouth of the St. Lawrence seems to get the worst of the weather, even though the continental weather pattern is from west to east.

To make things more interesting, the U.S./Canada border runs on an agreed line down the middle of the whole chain and makes for some interesting action in the International Joint Committee on the Great Lakes.  If the Americans could suck these lakes dry, they would, but it becomes an international thing and if they try the big corporations would jump all over them because Thunder Bay at the top of Lake Superior just happens to be the western most port on the Atlantic Ocean thanks to the St. Lawrence Seaway.  This access to ocean traffic makes the lakes vital for sea traffic that reaches the middle of North America.

salamander

Even the smaller Great Lakes, like Erie, have a definite effect on our climate here in western Pennsylvania.  I'm located about 70 miles south of Erie and 20 miles east of the Ohio border.  Every fall and early winter, a lot of our snow comes from the lake effect off of Erie.  But, once the lake freezes over later in winter, that effect pretty much stops and our snow comes mainly from weather fronts moving in from the west.

If the Great Lakes were ever sucked dry, though, just think of the tourist benefits for the area as Garrison Keillor pointed out -- 'Come visit the Superior Canyon, and climb Mount Royale.'

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: salamander on April 25, 2015, 04:35:22 AM
<snip>

If the Great Lakes were ever sucked dry, though, just think of the tourist benefits for the area as Garrison Keillor pointed out -- 'Come visit the Superior Canyon, and climb Mount Royale.'

And visit the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

rkelly17

Quote from: salamander on April 25, 2015, 04:35:22 AM
Even the smaller Great Lakes, like Erie, have a definite effect on our climate here in western Pennsylvania.  I'm located about 70 miles south of Erie and 20 miles east of the Ohio border.  Every fall and early winter, a lot of our snow comes from the lake effect off of Erie.  But, once the lake freezes over later in winter, that effect pretty much stops and our snow comes mainly from weather fronts moving in from the west.

The "event" in November where the south side of Buffalo got 2-3 meters of snow  in a couple of days shows how crazy lake effect snow can be. In mid December we flew to California via Buffalo and the airport limo driver said where his sister lived in a southern suburb they were buried under massive drifts for several days and where he lived downtown they got about a foot. There was an incident a couple of years ago where a "streamer" off the lake buried the 402 freeway west of Sarnia and stopped traffic for several days, but weather was clear and sunny within a couple of hundred meters on either side of the highway. Crazy!

A Nonny Moose

Here in the Bluewater area we seem to be in the lee of the Lake Huron cliffs.  Further north, Kincardine gets socked frequently and the Georgian Bay area is often stricken with odd ball weather.  On the other hand, when I lived in Wasaga Beach, we didn't get the heavy snow that seemed to hit all around us.  Collingwood and Blue Mountain seemed to get most of it.

Goderich, about 30 Km north of us is at the northern focus of the U.S. Tornado Alley.  They had one a few years ago that almost wiped out the downtown area, and damaged the harbour.  If a super cell crosses the Lake at the top of Lake Michigan, there is a chance of an F1 to F3 for the area.  Barrie got one about 15 years ago.

A Nonny Moose

May 1, 2015: Currently 14 C outside.  Forecast for the week is all double digits as high as 23 C (tomorrow).  It is bright and sunny.  Shirtsleeve weather is coming soon.

salamander

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on April 25, 2015, 05:24:12 AM
And visit the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

And the Apostle Mountains would be worth seeing, too.

A Nonny Moose

May 4, 2015 (VE day, May 4, 1945 when I was 7 years old)  Overcast, scattered showers with risk of afternoon thundershowers.  19 C heading for 24.  Shirtsleeve weather arrives with a bang.

RedKetchup

looks like summer here since 2 days :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

A Nonny Moose

Nay h'out t'clout, 'till May is out as my Scottish friends say.  This warm spell could easily be followed by a week of sleet storms.

Summer happens when the temperature gets in the high 20s and low 30s.

salamander

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on May 04, 2015, 07:38:11 AM
May 4, 2015 (VE day, May 4, 1945 when I was 7 years old)  Overcast, scattered showers with risk of afternoon thundershowers.  19 C heading for 24.  Shirtsleeve weather arrives with a bang.

And also Annual Star Wars Day -- May the 4th be with you.

chillzz

i always thought VE Day was may 8th, the complete surrender of nazi germany,
when it was already may 9th in soviet union, and still may 7 in the America's.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup