News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forest Village

Started by Gordon Dry, September 09, 2015, 09:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

@Pangaea, you express my feelings about this game very well.

Nice to see you around again! This page is as active as it ever was. :)

st2050

Quote from: Pangaea on August 31, 2016, 06:37:23 AM
This still looks like theft of Banished's source code

Idea - yes, interface - yes, gameplay - yes. But source code ... hm. How is it possible if the base is "Life is Feudal"? As I am a programmer I say: it's just impossible. Just try to copypaste even few lines the code from one develop platform to another and try to compile - you cannnot do this.
Because of plagiarism of textures in Resurrection mod for Fallout the mod is baned on Nexus and other big sites. But the fact is - this mod is the best realistic complex nature mod for Fallout just like in "Life After People" future-documentary serial. Am I concerned about plagiarism? Exactly so far as I am concerned, that car manufacturers do not pay to the heirs of Rudolf Diesel. Let's leave this problem to lawyers.

New video with beautiful views of nature. The music is nice too.

Pangaea

Whether these people have stolen the source code itself, reverse engineered it from code snippets posted on Luke's blog, or something else, doesn't really matter to me. It's clear as day this isn't fair play. The game is practically a carbon copy of Banished, with some different graphics. I'm staying well away from that game, and I would hope everybody else on this site would do the same out of respect for Luke and the excellent game he has developed.

Turis

"Life is feudal" is a first-person view survival and city builder game. It works like kind of Minecraft with skill-based crafting. It's totally different from Banished.

Gordon Dry

Quote from: Turis on September 04, 2016, 11:17:02 AM
"Life is feudal" is a first-person view survival and city builder game. It works like kind of Minecraft with skill-based crafting. It's totally different from Banished.

I guess you confuse Life is Feudal: You own with Life is Feudal: Forest Village

Turis

No, I'm not confuse. I'm talking about Life is feudal: you own. I'm guessing life is feudal: forest village is the same game-play.

Gordon Dry

So you're still guessing...

In Forest Village you CAN switch into a villager but at first it's a "city builder" ...

mellowtraumatic

I don't know this for sure of course, but the impression that I got was that Forest Village was being made by a small, independent developer and they were unable to finish it themselves and it was taken over by the Life is Feudal people.

RedKetchup

they certainly didnt "stole" or "copied" their code source !
so they cant be penalized.

though they can make their "own" copy of it by trying to "imitate" it...
that is perfectly legal, i think.

it is same with 3D meshes.
if i use a program to "capture" the 3D draws stored in video memory... or use a program which decode the .pkg packages of a game and pull out the meshes...
and use it ... and i dont have the permission to do it ... it is not legal.

but i can take  take a picture , a screenshot , a .jpg, a .bmp ... and with my 3dsMax and do my "own" 3D mesh based on what i see... thats perfectly legal
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Fellow Villager

let's be serious....banished too is a copy

i see that they are releasing a lot of patch
a think now they relased the total number of patch that luke did

Pangaea

So much bending over backwards. It must be exhausting.

Gordon Dry

Turis

The review is impressive.

Abandoned

This is the first I've heard of Forest Village, that review sounds like they are talking about Banished, strange. Coincidence, I think not. Life is Feudal, Serf City of 1994 and its successor Settler II were quite different than this Forest Village or Banish. The goal was to build your settlement, farms, mines, and troops then either settle the most land or take out the enemy.  In my opinion, 3D graphics ruined the Settler series.  I hope the makers of these great Banish mods I've downloaded aren't going to abandon Banish in favor of fancy 3D graphics. The items you make are fantastic, the details are amazing, can't wait to try them all and I look forward to more of them.  And I think the developer of Banish made a really great game, I love the changing seasons, the rain and the snow, and the crops. That being said, I agree, the other game does look good.  So does Banish and your mods.

QueryEverything

I have been wanting LiF:FV for months, and I finally bought it the other day.  It's good, I do like it, though I find some of it cumbersome, and needs a better knowledgebase, and a better tutorial, but a lot of games are this way. 

I have been playing Wurm Online for over 4yrs, it's a similar concept to Banished & LiF:FV, you need to settle, build and has the bonus of a highly active community, PVE or PVP events, and it's a subscription based model with active development.  No modders, as it's a hosted game.

As we don't know what source code (if any) was used from Banished, or even if it's been borrowed, or licensed, it's a dangerous game accusing devs of copyright when it can't be confirmed that they are. 

The game has so many similarities to Banished, but so too to Wurm.  One could argue that each are taken from even earlier games.

The problem with these accusations, is that it doesn't help grow gaming communities and encourage developers, yes Luke has built a great game, but, let's be honest, he's rather made it 'abandonware' rather than an ongoing platform, my loyalty to Luke, Banished and the community only goes so far as to the game itself.  The legalities of other games, unless proven one way or another, is of no consequence to me either.  If I like the game, the genre, the platform I will invest in it.  If it turns out that the game uses source code that has been stolen, borrowed or selectively taken, then I will simply request a refund and go on my way, until then though, I play it.

I guess the only way to prove it one way or another is to be access the source code, compare to Banished and submit the findings to Luke to follow up.

So, in the meantime, if you like the genre, like the look of it, I'd say go & buy it and enjoy it.  It's good, but needs some finetuning, and as an early access game, it's been worth the money I spent on it.  I've spent money on worse, for more.

Cheers :)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]