News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod manager

Started by JM, September 16, 2018, 05:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

There are several ways to approach managing mods--and we each gravitate to the one that works best for us, hopefully. I have a folder called "Downloaded Mods" where I keep a copy of every version of every mod I have ever downloaded (call me a mod hoarder!) each in its own folder, because updated mod .pkm files often have the same name as older versions. Then, between games I copy the ones I want to use to windata and erase the ModEnabled_ and ModIndex_ keys from my Banished registry. This latter habit got started in the early days of modding when things were not always stable. I don't recommend it to those who are uncomfortable mucking around in the registry, and I always remind myself how little I know so I don't go doing dangerous stuff. I like the idea of the Mod Manager, but old habits die hard.

JM

Version 0.6
========

You can add your own description to individual mods. Double-clicking the item opens the editing window. The description is displayed when the mouse pointer moves over the item. You can turn it off by unchecking Show mod description. Descriptions are stored in ModDesc.ini.

I could not find out how to get descriptions from pkm files. The description in the picture was obtained by copying the text from the downloading thread.

I've been using it for a couple of days, and it seems useful to me. I have described almost all the mods I have. (But mostly in Czech, so it does not make sense to post it here)

Mod is a word taken from English into Czech. MOD is not translated from Czech into English as MODE. And the word "mod" has nothing to do with the word "móda" (="fashion"). The word "mod" in Czech is related to the word "modifikace" (="modification") . Remember it at last, Google.

Paeng

Great job!

Thanks to all you guys searching ways to improve the gaming experience!
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

BlueFireChelle

Just installed and used for the first time. Awesome work! Really handy :)  thanks so much.

galensgranny

@JM I have version 0.5 but there is no scroll bar so some of my mods don't show on the available space. I have a LOT of mods installed.

JM

That's strange. The program only uses standard components. If not all items fit into the window, the scrollbar should appear automatically. Can you insert a screenshot here?

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

galensgranny

@JM below is the screen shot of Modman 0.5 on my computer at full size, taking up my entire screen.  The right menu does not show at all, no scrollbar at the bottom, and no way for me to make the screen larger to see all the mods. 

JM

I tried version 05 on a Windows 10 computer. With default font size 100% works well, with 125% looking as distorted as on your screenshot. Maybe that's the cause.

The 05x is testing version. It works on my computer even with scaling other than 100%. Please try it, and if it works then I will find a clean solution. I used dirty trick in this quick fix. The program is written in old Delphi7 and scaling causes trouble.

Use new 'F' button to change the mod-list font, if there were so many mods that they do not fit on the screen.

galensgranny

Modman5x works fine!  No cut off, all as it should be, with scroll bar.  Thanks!
You spoke of scaling.  I don't see so well so I used the display option in my computer to find a good display for me.  So it did make changes to my computer.  I guess it was to scaling.

xPelZx

Finally a proper mod manager, thanks a bunch  :)

danfan

Hi, just joined, looks like a great website :)

DragonT4

yes! this is much needed, thank you!

MarkAnthony

To JM,

This little gem of yours is very nice! Thank you for taking the time to create it. It's a definite time saver and quite handy. I do have two questions though:

• Is .6 still the latest version?
  • Maybe I misread but I thought you or someone else mentioned we can add descriptions to any mod we wanted to better tell why a mod is installed and the order it needs to be included etc, etc. I only see a way to add a description for the profile itself like, "Use this profile when playing map seed #xyz" for example.

Thanks,

~MarkAnthony

EDIT: Further down from this post of mine here I figured out for myself the answer to my second question - I need to double-click each mod in the Mod Manager list to add notes for the individual mods.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

brads3

that is the "description" button. and you can name the save files as you want too.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: brads3 on June 16, 2019, 08:38:04 AM
that is the "description" button. and you can name the save files as you want too.
Yeah, I saw the Description button but that is for the whole profile itself from what I see. What I meant was, I thought there was a way to put a description on each individual mod itself, each mod would have it's own description note. That's what I thought I read. I guess I will go back and read through all the comments again.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.