News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Sub-folders in WinData?

Started by Tonje, April 19, 2021, 05:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonje

A few of the files in my WinData folder start with the creator's name, like DS and Kid. Which makes it easier to know what they are. RedKetchup told me files cannot be renamed... but what about Sub-folders?

Gatherer

Nope. PKM files go into WinData folder and that's it. No subfolders!
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Tonje

Got it. Thank you both!

Any idea what these files are:
data0.pkg
data1.pkg

Also, some of my files have both .pkn and .sub file endings.
What do .sub do? Do I need it?

RedKetchup

the data are game files.
the subs are the file created by steam and is linked to your subscription to mods. the .pkm is the mod, the sub is the subcription on steam for that mod.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Tonje

Glenn

You may find it easier to create a banished file in "your documents" in your computer then copy the mods you want into the windata.

That way you can organise your mods into categories (folders); eg roads, food, gameplay etc

Nor do you need to get the mods from steam.

My banished is a steam game, but I get all my mods from here and play offline which makes the game much easier to play as there is no lag time caused when the internet speeds drop or is being used by other people at home.

Tonje

@Glenn

How do you choose to play offline?

I like your idea of making a sorted library of available mods. Really good idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that. I've done it for 10+ years with The Sims 3 and 4 downloads.

If anyone happens to read this comment, I suggest adding a preview (give it the same name as the mod) that way you can see and easily remember what it is.

Glenn

It only takes a few seconds to play offline.

* Click on the internet icon on the bottom right of your taskbar - go to your service provider and simply disconnect it.

* Open Banished and the game will try to start normally with an internet connection to steam - when it can't a box will pop up that will ask you if you want to play offline - say yes and the game will start - this whole process takes less than a minute if you have a SSD on your computer

* The game will then start as per normal.

* If you want to you can then close the game ( I do ) and reconnect your internet - if you then look at your hidden icons on the task bar steam will show as being offline and it will stay that way until you disconnect steam or turn off your computer - assuming you connect automatically to the internet .

* But once the game is in an offline mode it will open automatically without having to repeat the process. 

Glenn

I have all sorts of folders for my mods

My preference is to use group types as I said earlier  -  roads, food, etc.

I also have load order folders when I start a new game  - the first folder I load is gameplay -  more iron, seasons down under etc.

I then load all the mods I require -  remember only pkms' in the windata -  no folders.

In my main Banished folder I place mods into author groups - eg. all kids mods are in one folder with copies of the mods in any "group type" folder    ( eg gameplay ).

DS for example has a road mod - All my DS mods are in one folder with a a copy of the road pkm in my roads folder.

There is also one other thing I do - I download a few pictures of each mod to help me identify what I am looking for, otherwise it is easy to forget what is in a mod -  at times I keep a word document description of the mod

I also keep other small word documents in these folders where necessary - they say pick one only or place above another mod - I do this to stop any unnecessary game crashes - A mod zip may have three pkms but you can only load one otherwise the game will crash

I hope all this helps you enjoy the game.

Tonje

@Glenn
RE: offline gameplay... I'm gonna try that. Thank you for explaining it so well.

After I posted my comment yesterday I was eager to make my library. Soon the sorting monster with a hint of OCD woke in me and I spent the next 6+ hours setting it up like I'm used to for The Sims 3&4 downloads. The only difference is that with Banished mods there is a load order.

My Banished Mod Library - Main folder:
00 Gameplay (Folder for files I copy into WinData)
01 Basic (folder for mods I always want to have installed. Has sub-folders.)
05 Themed (folder for e.g. Magic, Tropical, Winter, Wild West, Native...),
04 Bundled Mods (folder for e.g, MegaMod, REC, CC...)
07 Toolbar (folder for everything related to the toolbar)
08 Resources, Maps, and Start conditions
09 Test (folder for everything I want to test out)
10 Not working (folders for mods I have problems with)
11 Download sites (Folder for URL shortcuts)

+ Creator folders starting with their initials (if applicable), like RK - RedKetchup

+ Shortcut to WinData (makes it fast and easy to add/remove mods)
+ A .txt file named Main Load Order (updated as I get information)

Inside each Creator folder:
- I drag and drop the URL to where they upload.
- add a .txt with load order for their specific mods. Copy info to "Main Load Order.txt".
- Every mod gets its own folder. I name them what the creator has named their upload plus version (if applicable).
  ? In these mod folders, I also place the preview(s), URL, and a .txt with info (if applicable).

Now, after learning that Discrepancy has a couple of mods with a version that ONLY goes with certain Bundled mod,
e.g. DS Blast Furnace and Industry Mining and DS Jetty & Bridge v2.1 - PATCH for THE NORTH v6
only works with The North v6. So these files (with preview, URL, and .txt) I pop into The North v6 folder.
Haven't figured out the load order part here yet.

Some of my sortings may seem unnecessary, especially the URLs. But having them makes it easy to find the mod's page. Also, I'm used to making regular backups (for my TS3&4 files) onto an external hard drive. After having lost my Banished related files and URLs to download sites when my computer broke I've decided to the same with Banished mods.

I've already cataloged 75+/- mods. Most likely I'll change some things around. I like tidy systems.

I'm interested to know more about your load order folders.

kid1293

:) It is not OCD. Working with so many files needs to be structured.
One file wrong and the setup won't work...

Keep going :) :) :)

Glenn

I use this method when starting a new game.

Folder 1 - gameplay changes  -  more stone, seasons down under etc
Folder 2 - food items  - kidfarmyard, RK goats etc
Folder 3 - roads
Folder 4 - decorations

After a folder is added I save, exit and restart

And so it goes -  I have other folders of preferred mods and by using this method I know that they all work together and their effects.

It also helps identify conflicts when adding new mods to your game

For example DS mods have a load order to stop icon problems and affecting CC increased storage capacity

I find that by using this method I always get a smooth trouble free start to every game and when I add anything new I do so one or two mods at a time to check how they impact then game then save, exit and restart.

Glenn

Here is a load order link that DS recommends for his mods

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2147.0;topicseen

Glenn

Yes, Banished is game where you need to be organised to avoid potential problems.

For example, there are CC mods that must be placed below CC as these mods require CC to work

V Decorative plants has three versions, but you can only use one at a time otherwise the game will crash

In Kid Bits and pieces you can only use one Vegetable garden at a time

However, once you work out your own personal system of how you organise your mods you should be able to avoid the majority of potential problems and by making regular saves of your game you can always go back to an older save if you need.