News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Streamlining textures?

Started by Paeng, November 07, 2018, 11:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paeng

Thinking about Red telling me that textures eat up most space in a mod...

Is it not possible to create a texture repository that holds the most common, widely used textures?

* Roll all these textures into one mod that everybody can download, call it e.g. TexRep1...

* Now modders can keep these common textures out of their individual mods, all it needs is a note in the description - Requires TexRep1...
* That download would be no problem as every player will quickly have it as a standard mod with his collection, and will never need to DL it again (except for occasional updates).

That could avoid loading the same texture again and again across various mods by different modders, and reduce a lot of possible conflicts?

Naturally modders can still introduce their own special textures for special items... I'm after the common textures that all modders use again and again.
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

we have no choice to have all the textures we use in a mod because 2 things.

1. what if the person doesnt have that special texture mod ?
2. we cannot compile successfully without tons of errors if we dont have the textures in its folder.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on November 07, 2018, 12:06:47 PM1. what if the person doesnt have that special texture mod ?
2. we cannot compile successfully without tons of errors if we dont have the textures in its folder.

Well, 1) is not really a problem, at least not with people who do read release notes etc...
* and we would make them read those notes!

But 2) is of course a big no show, if you guys cannot find a way around that  :(

Too bad, it could make a lot of things easier...

RedKetchup

Quote from: Paeng on November 07, 2018, 12:35:18 PM

But 2) is of course a big no show, if you guys cannot find a way around that  :(

will have to press ignore like 826 times per compile
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

kid1293

Same textures from every modder does not sound very fun.  :-X

Tom Sawyer

Issues 1 and 2 could be solved by using blank textures which would be overwritten by such a "shared textures mod". But it would make things more complicated just to save some pkm size. Not really practical. From my mods I would not know what to share as each model has its own individual texture.

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on November 07, 2018, 01:07:31 PMwill have to press ignore like 826 times per compile

LOL - but not cool...

Quote from: kid1293 on November 07, 2018, 01:50:34 PMSame textures from every modder does not sound very fun

Yeah, though that was not the point...  ;)
I was thinking of the textures that are used again and again and again across the board... naturally that would exclude individual textures.  :)

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 08, 2018, 03:24:34 AMby using blank textures which would be overwritten by such a "shared textures mod".

Yeah, I was contemplating sth along that line - that's how we would often solve (or share) repeated/exchangeable textures in SC4...
So there is a way - but I guess it's overkill within the scope of Banished...  :)