News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The North - Help...

Started by Paeng, October 27, 2016, 10:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@Paeng , your system of building sounds very good, your towns turn out beautiful.  I am still experimenting with gameplay and I am still trying different mods and combinations.  I usually start with dirt roads and pave the high traffic ones when I have stone and workers to spare.  So far I have only been building small settlements on small maps.  The north looks really beautiful but I don't think I am quite ready for that yet but maybe soon. There are a lot of mods I have yet to try.

Nilla

Quote from: Paeng on November 12, 2016, 06:48:13 PM

Mind you - I'm not saying that this is "better" or "more successful"... it's just the playing style that suits me  :)
Other players - other styles... and that's good that way. It's just fun comparing styles once in a while...  ;)

Even if the both of us have the most different approach on this game, I can find, I very much agree on this. That's also a reason, I like this page so much. It's interesting and fun to see how other people play. There's no best way. Everything is right, if it leads to your personal "goal" for that game.

Discussing houses: An important fact is, that you can build a vanilla stone house from the start, without the detour of upgrading a wooden house. If @Tom Sawyer choose to make the red houses as an upgrade from some other simpler building, you would not be able to build any right away. A pity! I'm a big fan of the red houses, but I don't think, I would build many in such a case.

And, yes. Occasionally I upgrade houses but I avoid it, if I can. As you might have understood; I dislike "spoiling" resources; materials and manpower. It's rare, that I demolish and move any buildings. As you have seen; normally I never concider aesthetics. I put buildings in a long term, efficient way from the start. If I demolish any, it's because I need the land for expansion.

I do build roads early, if I find, there's a reason for it, (to connect an important stockpile to a port or an important barn to a market...) but no stone roads. The stones are much too valuable early in a game. At some point later, when I have a lot of stones and enough spare builders, I often put stones on the main roads, where most people walk. But this will take 20 years or more.

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on November 13, 2016, 02:45:28 AMIf Tom choose to make the red houses as an upgrade from some other simpler building, you would not be able to build any right away.

Wait... so far, in my plays it took quite a few years before I could build falu houses - first I needed to import the brick-technology, which needs a lot of "cash" up front to build a port and all...

What housing do you build before falu is available? And do you not change those houses (or some at least) to falu later on?

* In my current game I used some of Kid's red houses (also because of the different shapes), but later I changed most of them, because the color is rather bright...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Tom Sawyer

My thoughts about upgrades. Actually it is just a shortcut for faster tearing and rebuilding. For vanilla stone houses it is nice to have, otherwise rather useless. But it is awesome to remove decorative items or to quit hunting and fishing.

I will not paint red houses by upgrades. Also no red-painted logs, which are carried to the construction site. The color must be attached to the finished house. Every craftsman would kill me for it and I like the timber texture of the building stages. The options are: More than 3 building materials if possible or packs of building materials or cancel the color as building requirement.

To "upgrade" an early game house like a log cabin to an advanced building like the red cottage is another thing. Could make sense but only possible if it has the same size. And you can not choose the F-variant. Not nice for citybuilders.

Nilla

Sorry about my bad English: As I said right away; I didn't mean from the beginning of the game, I just meant without first building some other house and upgrade it. Sometimes I do replace at least some of the original buildings, sometimes not.

Paeng

Bah... I go take a break and play x-com for a few... my newest town crashed badly and the save seems to be thoroughly corrupt, and I don't feel like going 9 or 10 hours back...  >:(

:)

Turis

What about the last autosave or did you disable it?

Paeng

Quote from: Turis on November 24, 2016, 12:59:02 PMWhat about the last autosave or did you disable it?

Nope, autosave is on... but that's the one that is corrupted (or rather a point 2 or 3 minutes before the game conks out), and my last true save is wayyyy back... my old fault, I get so deeply into a game that I forget to do saves at regular intervalls...  :-\

Must be one of those "unmotivated" errors, I did not change anything or added new mods or what.

Tom Sawyer

Oh, that's annoying! Maybe this cottage bug or a crash while autosaving because of a conflict in your mod list. If cottage bug then the current version could worth a try. Just uploaded. It expands the house UI to 10 people, also of existing houses in a saved game. But I think it would be very lucky if your lost game would be rescued by this update. And always if you enable/disable mods, exit and reload Banished before you start a new game...

But I don't want you to stop playing xcom. I am a great xcom fan. Enemy Unknown, XCom2 not until now. My "impossible" mode (the name) was inspired by xcom and I want an ironman mode too. ;D

Paeng

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 24, 2016, 02:19:37 PMIf cottage bug then the current version could worth a try. Just uploaded.

Oh, that's good to know... current means 4.3? I was still playing a 4.3beta (or maybe 4.2.2, not sure anymore)...

QuoteI am a great xcom fan

;D
Yeah, once I start, I can't leave it... it's like a fever LOL

Tom Sawyer

It's just a small bug fix to 4.3.1.

I feel like a session xcom. Need some change from fiddly work on houses.  ;D

Paeng

Okay, just playing a round of 4.3.1...
This time around I found into the game much easier...  :)

One trap I keep falling into is the stone limit - since it ties stone, bricks and tiles, I always "see" I have plenty stone when I really don't have any... falsely cursing my peeps for not finishing up a construction I been waiting for...  :o  Need to get into the habit of checking on stone via the townhall...  ;)

Another thing are the tunnels - I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the build times are longer than default? I only noticed because I need to build a lot of them in my current mountain-y map, and man - they take forever, and cost a fortune!

Old pet peeve of mine - why do I need to "pay" with stone in order to scrape stone out of the mountain? In my mind that's not logical - I should GAIN stone by building tunnels... If I'd gain stone, I would not mind longer work cycles, and even (a modest) additional cost for logs, plus higher death rate maybe... That would give me a sense of achievement. As is, I tend to just have my peeps take the long hike around a mountain...  >:(   :)

* On the positive site - tunnels now seem to blend smoother into the mountain-side, without that elongated entrance sticking far out... or is that just my quirky imagination, luck, wishful thinking?

Tom Sawyer

That's right @Paeng. Bricks and tiles are flagged as stone to be stored on piles. As soon as your brick production starts, the status bar also counts bricks, tiles and clay. This is just like in NMT and the best solution I think.

And yes, tunnel construction is more extensive in the north. I mean, it should be an important project to develop new land by tunneling a mountain. It's way too easy in vanilla (my opinion). Here it takes more work time and also a bit more stone (8 instead of 4 per tile). But this is just to keep the same building costs. You have more stone in the north because it comes 4/3 instead of 2/1 and the maximum production of a quarry is 16k instead of 4k. So the building costs are about the same. To adjust the work time could worth a closer look. On a mountain map it might be a bit too hard. Thanks for this hint!

The tunnel model is the same. Maybe the better look comes from the mountain texture. :)

Nilla

I don't build tunnels very often. I guess, it's my old habit of being stingy about the stones. But in a Nordic game, I often have too much stones, so I have built some and I've also noticed, that they take longer and need more stone than the vanilla tunnel.

I think the argumentation of both @Paeng and @Tom Sawyer make sense. A tunnel takes a long time to build. (@kid1293  knows it very well. In his neighborhood quite a long railwaytunnel was built. How long did it take?20 years? ) A vanilla tunnel is too easy and fast to build. But that much stone and no other material? If you build it through the mountain, I agree with @Paeng , it ought to give more stones than it costs, but it would need a lot of logs and wood to be built. Especially as they used fire to brake stones, before there were any explosives.

Paeng

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 30, 2016, 02:51:55 AMBricks and tiles are flagged as stone to be stored on piles.

Yes, good solution - just need to wrap my head around it  ;)

Quotetunnel construction is more extensive in the north.

Yep, and I agree with your reasoning...
Though to me you should not adjust the longer work time, but the cost of stone...  :)

QuoteThe tunnel model is the same. Maybe the better look comes from the mountain texture.

Cool - it certainly seems to create a rounded "hump" over the entrance, instead of a long stretch of exposed tunnel...

Quote from: Nilla on December 31, 2016, 03:40:55 AMbefore there were any explosives.

Yeah, I always thought some blasting powder (which existed long before dynamite) would be a nice little production chain to break huge quarries... maybe something like Kid's tiny quarry, with input of some rawmaterials (e.g. sulfur and charcoal)... cool for maps with little natural stone  :)

To stay with stone - I always felt there should be a stonemason as well, for more advanced or sophisticated housing... Just using the stone collected from the map seems a bit too simple...