News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Dye Maker

Started by Paeng, May 09, 2017, 05:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paeng

Playing with RedK flowers I been thinking how to get more than just perfume for trade...

Could we maybe have a Dye Maker?

Input: Flowers (RedK), Salt (EmbX, RedK), Water (Embx, Disc, RedK)
Output: Dye

Products with Dye: Dyed Cloth or Canvas, Sails, Homewares...?

... where canvas and sails (and possibly ropes) may point to another chain all together, e.g. improved fisheries... not sure, I seem to remember there were already plans in that direction...?
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Abandoned

@Paeng I like your idea of useable dye, another option is always good.  When I get to that beautiful mod I think I would like to make dye rather than perfume.  I would probably hate to cut those beautiful flowers.  :)

QueryEverything

I like that idea @Paeng a lot.  In Wurm Online dye was always made out of coloured items, (Water, Cochineal, Copper lump, Tannin, iron lump, Woad, Zinc lump), here some of the colour items that have been produced.  I personally own a pink boat, "The Pink Lips of Love".  :D  She's sweet, and reasonably fast.  Need to login and do some work on her though.
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/143796-amish-color-works-dye-shop/
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/111328-archaeds-rainbow-dyeworks/

At this point, until clothing seems to be more common output (other than the CC mutli clothing, which do rock ;) ), then definitely lovely sails etc.   
Building some of the boats that you talked about the other day, with 'dye' being a consumable, and what dye you choose then can be used in the sails, which then creates different coloured boat parts to then go on to be used to make boat decorations.  Like some of the decorative plants where you need reeds, seeds etc, to build them.

The mod maker would need to predefine the model, as you can't then dye ingame like in WO, but at least dye could be used in the production chains.
Also too, the statues & pottery makers, like 'meat', when pushed through the chain, you would then earn more for it at the Traders etc.

Good idea, I really like it @Paeng :D

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

RedKetchup

i dont say anything for the moment.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

QueryEverything

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 09, 2017, 06:37:27 AM
i dont say anything for the moment.
What about quietly typing it then @RedKetchup (cheeky) :) 
I'll leave you be with your poker game face on ...  but, i'll be watching & waiting :D 
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Paeng

Quote from: Abandoned on May 09, 2017, 05:46:42 AMI would like to make dye rather than perfume.

The perfume is nice, too... brings in good cash  :D

QuoteI would probably hate to cut those beautiful flowers.  :)

Hahaha, yeah... now that the grass and flowers (very realistically) wither, I dread the long winters even more... but it's so great when spring finally returns   :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: Paeng on May 09, 2017, 07:26:15 AM
Quote from: Abandoned on May 09, 2017, 05:46:42 AMI would like to make dye rather than perfume.

The perfume is nice, too... brings in good cash  :D

QuoteI would probably hate to cut those beautiful flowers.  :)

Hahaha, yeah... now that the grass and flowers (very realistically) wither, I dread the long winters even more... but it's so great when spring finally returns   :)

:)  :D
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Necora

I have the sails etc. planned, but will not be until after the summer now, although I could release a sail loft, it is all ready to go, just there will be no use for the sails apart from for trade. Maybe I'll chuck it into the NS set for fun.

As for the dye, new fancy clothing options? Ink?

One very common source of dye in ancient times was from Murex whelks in the Mediterranean known as 'Tyrian Purple' as the ink from the whelks make a rich purple color. It was a very valuable dye.

Abandoned

oh yes Mr @RedKetchup , you smile now, wait till I get to that mod and pester you for deco versions of those pretty flowers,  LOL  or has someone already asked?  Will I have to call in reinforcements?

Gatherer

Quote from: Abandoned on May 09, 2017, 09:54:34 AM
oh yes Mr @RedKetchup , you smile now, wait till I get to that mod and pester you for deco versions of those pretty flowers,  LOL  or has someone already asked?  Will I have to call in reinforcements?

Reporting as ordered Ma'am.
:P
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

Paeng

Quote from: Necora on May 09, 2017, 09:24:43 AMthere will be no use for the sails apart from for trade.

Yeah, that's the thing with quite a few items... I'm hoping for a more elaborate chain with sails, rope and related stuff (needing reeds, dye, cloth etc.)... I really like Disc's idea with gathering baskets, fishing- and hunting gear that "breaks" over time and needs to be replaced...

One of my dreams is still an upgradable fishing lodge  :D

Necora

Quote from: Paeng on May 09, 2017, 12:45:23 PM
Quote from: Necora on May 09, 2017, 09:24:43 AMthere will be no use for the sails apart from for trade.

Yeah, that's the thing with quite a few items... I'm hoping for a more elaborate chain with sails, rope and related stuff (needing reeds, dye, cloth etc.)... I really like Disc's idea with gathering baskets, fishing- and hunting gear that "breaks" over time and needs to be replaced...

One of my dreams is still an upgradable fishing lodge  :D

I'm not sure what the dynamic is with Discrepancy's baskets etc. but with the new NS fisheries (in Beta - full mod being released soon) you need fishing gear and boats to build a boat that lasts a certain amount of time before you need a new boat.

I was planning to do the same... but you build a ship (!!) which is then placed next to a quay and functions as a fishery, lasts for a long time, and needs to eventually be replaced.

Paeng

Quote from: Necora on May 09, 2017, 02:17:16 PMyou need fishing gear and boats to build a boat that lasts a certain amount of time before you need a new boat.

So that's more like a mine or quarry mechanic, right? Use until depleted, then rebuild?

I think the baskets are more like tools... you can run out, but no need to rebuild the producer, just shore up production... or so  :)

Necora

Quote from: Paeng on May 09, 2017, 02:53:59 PM

So that's more like a mine or quarry mechanic, right? Use until depleted, then rebuild?

I think the baskets are more like tools... you can run out, but no need to rebuild the producer, just shore up production... or so  :)

yup I've used the mine mechanic. So the boat lasts 2000 units. This is OK for a small row boat, but perhaps not as good for a large ship (unless it lasts for a loooong time). Perhaps the ship would be better as a permanent thing that takes a lot of resources to build, then gives you a literal boat load of fish each year. This was how I was anticipating the Maritimes Set to end with, a few large, really nice ships. We'll see, it looks like a project for the fall now :)

I am not sure that @Discrepancy managed to make the baskets etc. actually function the way he wanted them to, I think they are a consume:produce mechanism like any other, but I am not sure. A resource that acts like a tool that is specific to a building rather than general like tools are in game currently, so work is dependent on it but it is not a 1 basket = 10 fish kinda thing, is on the top of my list for if any changes are ever made to the game by the dev.