Main Menu

Nilla-filling small maps

Started by Nilla, June 16, 2019, 03:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

Glad midsommar, Nilla!

Vädret är som vanligt, ostadigt.

Tom Sawyer

Happy Midsummer from me too, from the North (of Berlin^^)

Nilla

Midsummer celebration over. Not that we really celebrated, my health doesn´t allow all too much, but usually, it´s an important holiday here in Scandinavia. Why it´s worth to celebrate that we now are going towards darker times, I don´t know but we´ve done it for thousands of years. One holiday that the Christians didn´t hi-jack 1000 years ago. So I guess it will remain until there´s no Scandinavian left on earth. ;)

My no-forest experiment works well. So far no crisis what so ever. Your concerns @brads3 are unfounded. I will show you some pictures and tell a little about this town specially and Banished in general.

First picture
Look carefully, if you see something odd on this picture.

It´s early spring but the snow lies deep on the fields. It was a long cold spring that year. That´s not so odd, happens now and then in Banished. But look at the fields. No single farmer is assigned to work. That´s a "trick". I have "unassigned" every farmer when I saw how cold it was. If I hadn´t they would have started to plant in the snow and the seeds would have been destroyed on the south end of the field. I have seen fields with only a few rows of the crop on the north side was left to grow. When the temperature reaches the freezing point I will reassign all of them. But not all at the same time by writing 133. If I do the farmer will live randomly far away all over the map and the fields will be planted very late. I must click 133 times on the "increasing the number arrow". I find it´s a job worth doing if it prevents half of your crops to freeze.

The picture shows my last expansion of the town, the last piece of nature will soon have to go.  :'( You can also see the inventory. It doesn´t contain many different kinds of goods (especially compared to a modded game) but there´s no lack of anything.

Second and third picture
On @MarkAnthony´s thread, we discussed education and what professions uneducated should have/not have and if it´s possible to assign them to certain professions. Here I made a mistake; was a bit careless about the number of schools and built one too late. 3 or maybe 4 or 5 youngsters didn´t attend school. In this medium size settlement, it´s very tedious to find them. I don´t want to look through every house, so I left the matter and hoped for the best.

But now I have identified 2 of the uneducated. The first one, Bessiah happened to move into the house next to the school you can see on the bottom of the picture. You can see he´s uneducated, no child graduate at 13. Suitable enough he became the teacher! :)  :P :D

The second picture also shows the food graph. This is the way it should look in a safe game. Amount of food stored increasing with the population.

After a while, I noticed a fast reduction in my tool supply. It is time to build a 4th blacksmith soon; there are 450 adults, many of them miners and stonecutters (who need a new tool much more often than most of the other professions) but this fast drop could only be explained in one way: a blacksmith who doesn´t know his craft. I looked and of course, I found the second uneducated; Turnett. He and his family now live in a place with only fisher and farmer. I hope they are happy.

I haven´t found the 3. uneducated yet, but I soon expect a fast drop in clothes production. ;)

Fourth picture
I stopped the game yesterday evening at a turning point where I need to change my plan in some way.

What was my plan?

I wanted to fill the map with stone houses as fast as I could. For a long time it worked fine, I was never very far behind but now you can see I can no longer keep up the stone production enough to build enough houses. You can see that the stonecutter spend more time walking to the bottom of the quarry than cutting stones. This has 40 % left and it will get worse.

There are some options; I don´t really like any of them so I needed to think about what I should do. I have now made my decision. I´ll let you know in my next post.

Nilla

Now I would like to tell you the possibilities I saw to reach my goal, despite the low stone production.

1. Go back to an earlier save and start to produce a large surplus of stone to use now at the end of the game. - probably the best but also the most boring way, so NO!
2. Build another quarry and double the stonecutter. NO! The stone from this third quarry will be enough. I need land for houses and to produce food.
3. Let it take the time it takes to finish the map. Build a new house when I have stones. Possible, but the speed of the population growth will slow down and I will reach a lower maximum population with the same number of houses, than if I grow faster.
4. Build wood houses instead of stone houses. It´s a risk.  We will need more precious fuel/will need to cut more orchards, but it will be possible to catch up with the planned housebuilding speed.

I choose 4.

I also took another risk. I demolished some fields and built quite a few extra wooden houses. I usually play too safe. I already left the safe path by building wooden houses, so why not. I didn´t know if it would work and I still don´t know. I stopped the game as the population started to decrease. Unfortunately, this game is no "self-runner" and now it´s boring. The settlement lives but without a big surplus of anything. It may or may not survive a really bad year. We will never know because we will now leave towards the north. See you soon in other surroundings.

But before we leave it´s time enough to show some pictures.

I just see, I made no save as I stopped the game, the last is from year 50 and I stopped somewhere 58-60, so I can´t show you much from the end but I made some screenshots along the way.

First picture
One reason I can´t say for sure if the settlement can survive is 3 bad years in a row; 49-51. You can see the small peaks on the food graph. First, there was a very early frost, then a very hot summer and this year vi had a cold spring. I don´t build anything, so I just run the game on 5 or 10x speed and didn´t pay attention enough to used the "hold back farmer" trick. If these would have been normal years, I think the game would have been safe. But on the other hand; it brought some life and excitement to the boring end.

You can also see, where I have demolished some fields; small groups of wooden houses.

Second picture
Typical production numbers. It´s been similar the last 10 years; barely enough of everything.

Third picture

My last screenshot. It´s at the population peek. I think I saw 1151 but that was the most. I played it another couple of years and the population started slowly to get down. 

MarkAnthony

Quote from: Nilla on June 23, 2019, 02:49:22 AM
... You can see he´s uneducated, no child graduate at 13. Suitable enough he became the teacher! :) :P :D
That matches up quite perfectly with the saying, "Those who can't do, teach."
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

Artfactial

I envy that production graph.:)

That old mine would make for a great public park or pool when the river would be diverted into it!

Nilla

Quote from: Artfactial on June 24, 2019, 07:36:57 AM
I envy that production graph.:)

That old mine would make for a great public park or pool when the river would be diverted into it!
Do you envy the first 48 (safety) or the last two years (excitement)? ;)

These ruins (together with the low production and many accidents) are the reason I avoid mines and quarries if I can and normally buy stone and iron. @Tom Sawyer made it possible to float an empty clay pit to become a fishing pond. I wish it could be made by this big hole as well.

Talking about Tom, I decided to go back North and again and play a Nordic game with the changed happiness. I started the day before yesterday with Anders and Ella and Norsemen on a nice small forest map. Again I want to fill the map with as many people as it allows. I think there will be only a little trade. I´m not sure yet if I will stay in "old times" or develop to the "red houses period". We´ll see along the way. What I know, however; I want to get everyone as happy as possible.

First picture
After a few years, my "Anders"; the first settler got Mumps! It´s very early in the game and I have no doctor. Normally it´s no big deal. It will probably spread to more or less everyone. But Mumps is hardly lethal. The production gets down for a while, after that; business as usual. But wait; this is Norsemen. I suddenly remembered that if someone gets ill and there´s no doctor, he will never reach 5 stars; not in his entire life. (At least that´s what I´ve seen in other games). And it´s a real-time aging game. The entire initial population; never fully happy? No, I don´t want that.

There´s one more problem. The North has no hospital for early years. In theory, you can build a vanilla hospital but that doesn´t fit the rest of the buildings. And the new Nordic clinic (a very nice building) need brick and glass that you don´t have at the beginning and this large, red house would fit as bad s the vanilla hospital in these surroundings. So I decided to load the Forest Outpost from @kid1293, that has a nice little sauna that works as a small hospital. For this game, it´s a pity that it has no effect on happiness but I also know that it has its advantages, so Kid, it´s no request. 

Second picture
Yesterday I started a new game on a new map. I haven´t got very far but it looks promising. I will grow by immigration.

Here @MarkAnthony, I have used the separation trick to get more children than the 5 person house allows, that @brads3 talked about in your thread. I have temporarily split the initial couple. The mother and one child in one house the father with two children in another. This way it´s room for more children even if the house only allows 3.

Oh, I just see a child named Messie was born; I guess they will soon need a football field! ;) By the way; we´re still in the World Champion; beating Canada yesterday. But the next game is against Germany. Unfortunately, our girls always lose, to the joy of my German husband.  :-\

Artfactial

QuoteDo you envy the first 48 (safety) or the last two years (excitement)? ;)
Both really.:P I have had an erratic food income for some time and have been paying for it in the last few years of my town. Excitement is good...sometimes.:P

I have yet to try The North, it looks great and is right up my game-play alley. I have so much American colonization ideas still floating around!

brads3

The NORTH climate is harsher than America's even on mild.it is challenging. the fields want 70 degrees to produce food.i am using TOM's Nordic climate mod and getting 70 degrees 1 out of 5 yrs. NILLA cheats thou. her farmers don't need to be educated and she has hardier crops.

Artfactial

Yeah, it looks like a real good challenge.:)
Uneducated farmers  seems like a good way to go (or is that a feature of the mod?)

I normally don't like to start with seeds, relying more in trade, but I can imagine that that would be an incredibly important starting condition if you don't plan on trading.

Nilla

Me, cheating??? Brad, Brad how can you imagine that? I´m asking for harder options, not easier. ;) You only have these troubles because you try to grow pineapples and cucumbers from other mods in a cold climate. If you stick to traditional domestic crops like turnips, cabbage and barley you will hardly have any problems, at least not on "mild". On "harsh" it doesn't make much sense to farm but that´s another matter. Here I want to, so I choose "mild".

And if you don´t mix other mods in, you will notice that it´s not me; it´s Tom who decided that the undereducation penalty is gone or is very small by simple professions. By others, it may be very large. Even by farmers, the uneducation penalty is different depending on the crop. Not easy but interesting and logical.

In a Nordic game "Anders and Ella" they have turnips from the start. There are other options; some have seeds and animals, some only the one or other some of them have nothing; and I mean really nothing; not even a tool or a little food for the start.

brads3

i am not growing pineapples. this ain't Hawaii.less i use a greenhouse.didn't even do that this time.i have RED's crops so they are affected more by the climate than TOM's. mine need 70 degrees as long as possable.  planting is delayed  til mid summer also. i wish i had your un-educated changes. that is a huge advantage i had to fight for every educated farmer i could get early on.   by the way, my pine mod maple treees suffer in this climate and that mod was made by a Canadian.

i do like the Nordic climate overall. it does match up with the Mid-Atlantic region guite well.as close as we can get with Banished.i just wish i could hold 70 longer or at least have it every year. some years i am lucky to see 65.

if i could chose,i'd like to have the education you have and TOM's alcohol as food tweak.those 2 help so much with how the bannies act. 

Tom Sawyer

If you mean the quarry with big hole then you can flood it as well @Nilla.

And the climate setting in this "Nordic Landscape" mod from 2016 or so can't be compared with the current version. It was something like a predecessor of the north mod before I started to make models and everything was adjusted since that. If I remember right, it was colder but can't check. I don't even have source files of this old mod anymore.

Nilla

Now you must explain @Tom Sawyer; how can I flood the vanilla quarry?

Yesterday I played nice, peaceful and...........SLOW. Even if I take every nomad and one couple arrives more or less every spring, not much is happening. Of course, some micromanagement is needed but not all too much. Most of the people are happy so the idling hours have been reduced and the production has increased. At the moment I´m inclined to agree with @brads3; real-time aging is easier at least now at the beginning.

I had a lot of time to make some screenshots I´ll show them and tell a little why I made them,

First picture
As I planned, the initial settler family has got its 4. child.

Second picture
I don´t know what this is; most springs one couple arrive to join the settlement but it looks like this village has become a getaway for middleaged women who have run away with their teenage lovers!  ::) :o

You can see that most people are happy. Only a few living out in the woods and temporarily in the initial goahti are unhappy.

Third picture
Here we can see the reasons for the happiness; our little village center with church, inn, traveling vendor and sauna.

Fourth picture
Believe it or not; I used some decorations. Don´t know what has happened. ;) I must be bored by the slow pace. The pear trees aren´t pure decorations. They can be harvested but one by one so they need a lot of micromanagement. Sometimes they will pick the pears sometimes not.

Fifth picture
These teenagers! Always do the opposite of what they are told! Lancesco; the first child who was born in the settlement simply moved out from home and occupied the hut, that´s there for new arrivals. The gouhti is next to a storage full of all kind of food but what does he eat? Only venison. And now he suffers from all kind of health issues and he doesn´t believe his mother, saying that he should eat a proper meal instead of his beloved meat.

Tom Sawyer

There is a small button in quarry window, just as for the big claypit. Works exactly the same way.