News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

DS Roads v4

Started by Discrepancy, June 03, 2016, 04:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanypredator

These roads look really great! One question - your gravel and wooden roads are as fast as a standard stone road?

Gatherer

Thank you for this mod and its updates. It has become one of my favourites.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Discrepancy

Quote from: tanypredator on June 11, 2016, 10:16:35 AM
One question - your gravel and wooden roads are as fast as a standard stone road?

All 7 Dirt Roads, the 3 Gravel Roads and the Wood Chip road are all rated as Fast (like Banished vanilla dirt road).

The Stone Roads and Wood Road are rated as Faster (like Banished vanilla stone road).

perhaps my build costs should also be more reflective of this?

Paeng

Great job, roads are never gonna be the same again...  ;D
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Kimbolton

Wonderful! Thanks for all your hard work!

tanypredator

Quote from: Discrepancy on June 11, 2016, 04:57:14 PM
perhaps my build costs should also be more reflective of this?

Yes, that is what I meant. I think that if road costs something, it must be "faster". On the other hand, gravel and wood chips may count as by-products of stone and logs production, so that roads may be build without costs. As you like more :)

Discrepancy

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you're liking them. Happy I can give something back to the Banished community :)

Quote from: tanypredator on June 11, 2016, 09:07:44 PM
I think that if a road costs something, it must be "faster". On the other hand, gravel and wood chips may count as by-products of stone and logs production, so that roads may be build without costs. As you like more :)

Great idea, I like the sound of that, and it makes sense game wise, while being realistic :) thanks.

Idea for next release:

Dirt Roads  (Fast) / 0 resources + 1 Work
Gravel Roads (Fast) / 0 resources + 2 work (I thought having the extra work as a cost for bringing the by-products to site?)
Stone Roads (Faster) / 1 Stone + 2 Work (even though the vanilla stone road is only 1 work, considering some of the complex designs I still think 2 work ... unless players think otherwise?)
Wood Road (Faster) / 1 Wood + 2 Work (same as above?)
Wood Chip Road (Fast) / 0 resources + 1 work (realistically wood chips are lighter than stone, and would need replacing often, so only 1 work)

(+ also I need to rework gravel road 02 texture, as it is too dark. This will be in the next release along with a Corduroy Road, 2 Dirt Paths, and the Stone Road random tile additions to stone roads 04 & 05 [also note to my self I need to adjust the icon of Stone road 01])

tanypredator

Quote from: Discrepancy on June 11, 2016, 11:38:34 PM
even though the vanilla stone road is only 1 work, considering some of the complex designs I still think 2 work ... unless players think otherwise?

I think it is Ok, if it works without bugs in game. It is more realistic :)

Discrepancy

a couple of questions were asked on the steam page, I thought I'd share them and my answers here also:

Quotethey don't look quite the same in my game as in these photos. Two of the stone roads are much lighter and more translucent, so they can be hard to see, and the background color seems to show through. In addition, the wooden roads vary darker or lighter depending on where they're placed.
my answer:
I forgot to update the preview image for this v3 release, which is why the picture isn't indicative of what is in the mod.
Regarding issues with the roads difficult to see, you are right and I know some of them I need to work on. But my overall goal of this mod was to create roads that in a way blended in to the surroundings... like they had already been there for 100yrs. But I take on board what you have said and will take a look at the textures. By the way, if you (or anyone) can tell me which roads require work from your perspective it would be a great help to have a different set of eyes.

QuoteThe fast stone roads don't seem to lay over the slow roads, like vanilla. You first have to seperately demolish the old road and then come back and lay an upgraded one. I haven't used every road in the mod so some might not be this way, but some of them are.
my answer:
Regarding the fact that the stone roads don't overlay the dirt roads, you are correct, and that is a change I will make for the next release. Each road has what is called a 'uchar _index', wherein the lowest number will always replace a higher number. The vanilla Stone Road is # 0 and the vanilla Dirt Road is # 1. Due to some other mods adding roads, all of my roads have 'uchar _index' #'s between 100-200, but I had put them all the wrong way around, so once I reverse them, Wood Chip & Gravel Roads will be able to be built over Dirt Roads, Stone Roads over WoodChip/Gravel/Dirt Roads, Wood Plank Roads over all roads.

and...
what I'm planning for v4 release:

- re-work of road costs - done.
(dirt / wood chip roads=1 work, gravel roads=2 work,
stone roads=1 stone + 2 work, wood roads=1 wood + 2 work)
- 2 more dirt paths - done.
- 1 more wood chip road - done.
- In-menu Flatten Terrain tool (with work cost) - done.

- Stone random tile pieces for stone road 04 & 05 - started.
- New wood road 'Corduroy' style - started.
- re-work hard to see road textures - started.
- change uchar_index numbers for correct build sequence - started.

purringcat

I love your new roads.    As someone once said, the smallest things make the biggest impact.    So true with these lovely roads.    8) :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: purringcat on June 15, 2016, 04:06:18 AM
I love your new roads.    As someone once said, the smallest things make the biggest impact.    So true with these lovely roads.    8) :)

agree

i hope too there will be a nice one that will perfectly fit the railroads  :P
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Discrepancy

I have released an an update for v4.

Pictures to come soon.

so what is in v4?
3 x Grass Roads - requires 0 resources & 1 Work to build each tile. Fast
8 x Dirt Roads, requires 0 resources & 1 Work to build each tile. Fast
2 x Wood Chip Roads, requires 0 resources & 1 Work to build each tile. Fast
5 x Gravel Roads, requires 0 resources & 2 Work to build each tile. Fast
7 x Stone Roads (+11 variations) , requires 1 Stone & 2 Work to build each tile. Faster
3 x Wood Road (+3 variations), requires 1 Wood & 1 Work to build each tile. Faster
1 x Garden Patch Road (work-in-progress), requires 0 resources & 1 Work to build each tile. no speed bonus

Also some free to build road decorations, edge border pieces.

Also included is the Remove Road, Cancel Removal and Flatten Terrain buttons within the DS Roads toolbar menu.

** Unknown if this version is save game compatible with previous versions.

elemental

Thank you for this mod.

A question about roads... I use Kralyerg's invisible road (from grassy roads mod) around buildings and orchards to stop pesky foresters from planting trees where I don't want them. I also use the invisible road beside normal roads to keep a strip clear of trees through a forest. The problem is the villagers prefer to walk on the invisible strip of road and won't walk on the actual road. The other problem is when you place two roads next to each other you get sharp edges (see pic). Not very attractive.

Could you make an invisible single tile tree-blocking building/object? The invisible tree-blocker would need to be passable so villagers can walk through it.

Discrepancy

Yes I can do that. It would have to be a single tile object, an empty 'model', as I have tried this previously with the road code, but it crashes the game, unless I'm doing it wrong.

About the road edges. I have tried to make this better, but the same thing happens with the vanilla roads also. We are really limited with this, that is why I made the decorative road edges, they are free to build and can be used to break up the point where two road textures meet.

I am still struggling to do the alpha channels correctly, and hence why some roads are still too dark/bright in the snow.

elemental

You don't want the tree-blocker to be road because then they will walk on it instead of on the real road. And yes, the sharp edges happen with all roads. It's definitely not something specific to your roads. Those ones you see in my pic have Kral's invisible road next to them. That's why you see a single road with sharp edges. Without the invisible road next to them they have the normal faded edge, which to me looks much better.  :)