News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - North Pole Fishing Hole - Story 5

Started by Abandoned, December 09, 2016, 02:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turis

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 13, 2016, 07:36:51 AM
It's a hard life in the North but a hard life writes the best stories. ;)
Except, "Dead men tell no tales" - Pirates quote phrase.

Abandoned

@brads3 yes, the iron & tool making is a challenge, quite different.  CC has a Iron is Iron mod but I haven't used it and don't know if it would work with the North, don't know if I would want to use it. I like that the North is different.

@Nilla, the crop fields are now doing well but that orchard I think will be firewood soon.  I tried early harvest, 2 farmers, houses and storage close enough, now some apple trees died.  Maybe will try a new orchard elsewhere.  I too have hazelnuts and squirrels at the birdfeeders. Don't tell @brads3 but Mrs. Claus put him on Santa's naughty list for suggesting you would steal food from the squirrels.  I said to my husband I think you and I are a bit similar, he sends his sympathies to your husband  :D

@Tom Sawyer tool production improved,  I moved the bloomery close to charburner and new blacksmith and mine.  The settlement was doing well, there is a major set back in chapter 5 but we survived. the North is a challenge but enjoying it.

@Turis  hope you are enjoying my story,  here is chapter 4.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

Year 4.  Our to-do list just kept getting bigger.  We had a town meeting to discuss all that needed to be done.  In order to build a village by the fishing hole to make Santa feel at home, we would need bricks and roof tiles.  We would need a trading post to get some.  We soon discovered we didn't have nearly enough iron to finish building the one we started, the work was put on hold. We only had one builder. We needed an iron mine and another blacksmith, and we needed a tailor. We had a good supply of wool in the storage barn.  More helpers arrived at the well but we needed more food.  Our first crop of apples was a poor one, even though the orchard was small, we apparently did not start the harvest soon enough.  We needed grain and seeds and milk cows.  We were beginning to feel like we were failing Mrs. Claus. 

We built a mini trading post and in April of year 6 a commodity merchant arrived before we had any trade goods moved to the port.  We ordered bricks and roof tiles.  Two more helpers arrived at that same time, Kareeman was a tailor who could make some fine Nordic wool coats.  He and his wife moved in above the new tailor shop. There was an outbreak of influenza, we began building a mini hospital behind the orchard.  The illness past quickly so the hospital construction was put on hold. We had plenty of herbs but we would need an apple a day to keep the doctor away.  Despite all our problems we continued to marvel at the beauty of our surroundings and the changing of the seasons.  The school children continued to build snowmen and they collected pine branches and made decorative wreaths as a class project.

The mine and blacksmith were build and the trading post was completed.  Helpers and riverboat merchants arrived at regular intervals.  Norbertie the food merchant had a lot of goodies but nothing we needed.  Our food supply was holding steady and we sure liked the salmon being caught from the new fishing pier.  If we couldn't get sugar from the merchants to bake Santa's favorite cookies we now knew where we could get some gingerbread men. We also discovered that we could get a good trade value for Nordic wool coats.  We traded some to Rolon the commodity merchant for roof tiles.  Herbs and iron ore got us quite a few dalers and pennings from Kynda the export merchant, but not enough for dairy cattle or barley seeds when Kaelynett the seed and livestock merchant came to call.  No milk and cookies for Santa again this year.

We suffered 2 tragic loses.  Ramie and Taney's son, Lyne, had just finished school and began work as a laborer when he died of a weak heart.  A newly arrived helper just began work at the mine when he was killed by a cave in.  Their graves were marked with simple white crosses in the cemetery. 

Our final building project of those first 10 years was two bridges across the river, one to the east where Santa's castle and village would be built along  with a workshop and bakery, and the other bridge to the north where we hoped to have grain fields and a mill and dairy farm.  We have yet to see a merchant with sugar or spice for the cookies but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Nilla

Nice story and nice pictures!

I come to think of something about your bad orchard. There's nothing wrong. One farmer with automatic harvest will be fine. It's some kind of "bug" from the original game, it has nothing to do with any mod. You will hardly notice anything, unless you play on a mild climate. With some mods, you see more of this, than in a vanilla game. It's a bit hard to explain especially in English but I will try.

As the fruit has grown to 100%, the farmer starts to harvest. He/she goes on until the amount of fruit, that an orchard of that size will give is harvested. But if the temperature is high enough, the already harvested fruit will continue to grow or rather the pointer for how much fruit is left, will continue to grow, even after it's harvested to 100%. So if the fruit is harvested fast and the temperature is mild, even 100% could be shown.

You can see, that there is nothing more to harvest, if the farmer is hacking weed in the orchard, instead of carrying fruit away. You will for sure get a small amount of apples from that small orchard if you play the North. A maximum harvest is much less than in a vanilla game. You will need big orchards to support you population. But I'm pretty sure that 1 farmer can harvest all fruit from a 13*13 orchard most of the time.

Abandoned

@Nilla , something wrong with small orchard for sure, farmer weeding and not harvesting, tried early harvest, even worse.  Orchard gone in chapter 6.  Several other problems then but still investigating.  Here is chapter 5.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

In spring of year 11, 7 helpers arrived.  Among them was an elf named Denningsley, a botanist.  He brought seedlings with him, he would need a greenhouse.  We had been hesitant to build one.  Felecta, back in Smallville, raised seedlings in a greenhouse and got a very good trade value from the riverboat merchants, seedlings were in demand.  Here, however, almost every boatman that came to call already had seedlings.  We did not know if they would take anymore in trade.  We took the chance and built a greenhouse near the trading posts.   Denningsley said his seedlings were for magically colored impossible trees, he would plant Santa's favorite reds and greens.  We were impressed with the vibrant colors.  He said he would plant some of the other colors over by the new clay pit for us to see.

The riverboat merchants accepted our seedling worth 8 trade units each.  We soon had the bricks and roof tiles we needed to construct our own brickyard.  We traded seedlings and dalers for cabbage seeds and planted them in spring of year 13. We had a good harvest that year except for the apples.  The harvest was started a month early but produced our smallest harvest yet, nowhere near an apple a day for 75 townspeople.

In April of year 14 the brickyard was complete and construction began on another bridge across the river.  The leaves opened on the impossible trees and they were such pretty colors and really brightened up the clay pit area.  That month 5 helpers arrived and we needed laborers and another builder for land clearing and new construction across the river. Even with the extra laborers, wild foods and other resources were not being collected.  In October Allington the miner was killed by a cave in, one of the new laborers took his place.  The cave in triggered the beginning of our downfall.

In spring of year 15, cabbage and potatoes were already planted in the new fields before the boat merchant arrived with barley seeds.  We finally would have grain.  He also had pear and walnut seeds, we hoped to have enough seedling to trade for at least one of them before he had to leave. We failed to notice our shortage of tools until it was too late. Our trader, Haskellyn, who had been working at both trading posts, felt responsible for what was to happen because there were tools sitting in the trading post for years.  Haskellyn got the tools out and to the workers as soon as he could but the damage to our production had already been done, and the boat left before we could trade for pear or walnut seeds.

The harvest was a poor one even with the new fields.  The new barn and several houses were complete.  It was a cold snowy winter, Oliver the fisherman appreciated the covering built over his trout fishing spot.  With new tools hunting and fishing improved but our food reserve was critically low in spring of year 16.  To make matters worse, Waver and I discovered our 19 year old son, Rosendon, was living with the 49 year old woman and 2 children.  We assumed the youngest was our first grandchild.

It was a child who was the first to die of starvation.  We traded for food when a food merchant came to port, but it was not enough.  We lost 2 students, 2 miners, the smelter, a farmer, and our botanist.  A child was the last to die of starvation in August of year 17.  Our small cemetery was full of simple white crosses, our town full of mourners.  We were short of food and workers.  We needed help.

Nilla

Bad news! :'(
No wonder, these terrible trees distracted everyone from working. That's the reason for your trouble! ;)

Without joking; I know the North is harder than a vanilla game. I had my doubts, when you built that nomad well. It's hard enough with good educated people. A lot of poor educated "tometenissar" diligently helping out here and there.... hm..... I had my doubts, as I read your last threads. Find a polite way to say no to Mrs Santa, when she sends more of them and you will do better.

Where did you find these red houses looking like the vanilla version. I can't remember them since the very early days of the Nordic mod.

brads3

Nilla do you mean the red and white nordic wooden houses from wayyy back in the beginning of developing the North?

Abandoned

@Nilla , those houses are Nordic Wooden House mod.  I think I got it from a  link posted by @brads3 in the Colonial House mod discussion.  They are not part of The North mod. They don't use brick or roof tiles, they use iron.  Maybe part of my tool shortage problem. 

Edit:  Nordic Wooden House.zip is on first page of Nordic Landscape mod discussion thread.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

In May of year 18, 13 helpers arrived.  We again reevaluated our work assignments, production of food, tools, and trade goods taking priority, then building materials.  Everyone loved the new red houses across the river but were anxious to see red cottages built with our bricks and roof tiles instead of stone and iron.  We now think building those first two red wooden houses by the barn contributed to our tool shortage.  We planted another field of barley hoping the extra grain would improve our failing health.  Our food reserve was good before the harvest of year 19 was even finished.  After the apples were harvested, the trees were cut.  A larger 13x13 orchard was cleared and planted.

Our food supply was again low by spring of year 20.  We ran out of potatoes to bake at the new brick-oven snack stand.  Hopefully, the new orchard would  supply enough apples to bake.  Roasted chestnuts and corn would also be nice.  We will have to see if the next food merchant has any, we bought cabbage last time he came to call.  We bought 3 dairy cattle and rye seeds from the seed and livestock merchant, we had a pasture ready and waiting for them.  We were surprised when Elainey, the herdsman, said the 10X20 pasture would only hold 5 dairy cows.

The following year we built an apothecary and the townspeople lined up in the rain to visit the herbalist. The schoolhouse was filled to capacity so the outdoor classroom was reopened.  We needed educated workers. We planned to build a little red schoolhouse over by the new rye field and mini gatherer.  A flour mill was built by the creek, we planned to build a bakery,  we looked forward to rye bread.  We wondered how we would be able to bake cookies for Santa when we were struggling to feed ourselves.  At least we would have milk. 

Tom Sawyer

Yes, these wooden houses were my first attempt... by painting the vanilla models. I had no idea of modding. Haha.

The village is going well. Your settlers have managed the food crisis, you have managed it. Despite the many uneducated helpers! I think the new grain fields will help a lot and especially rye when processed up to bread. Think of it, the bakenman will need salt. Not much, exactly 20 g on 1 kg flour.^^ And it is an import product.

And cows need more space to find enough food in this environment, thats true. Nevertheless, it is worth it. But better to build a larger pasture. 20 x 20 for 10 cows or more.

The 13 x 13 orchard is clever!

Great Story. I vote for an award. Best Director or so. :)

Abandoned

@Tom Sawyer , thank you for award vote.  I am glad my story is doing justice to such a great mod, not only a good challenge but so beautiful.  I took wise Nordic woman's advice on orchard size, it is a good size with good harvest totals.  I made note of bigger pasture size for future North maps.  I really like the black and white milk cows, just like farms here at home.  I have come across one small problem though.  There is no little picture of the milk on the inventory screens, not the pasture, barn, storage shed, or houses. The beef and hide have pictures.  I think it might be because of conflict with Red Ketchup's Red looking Creamery, it uses milky cow.  The mod is loaded after The North.  I have not gotten the creamery built yet. There seems to be no other problem with the cows or use of the milk. 

Tom Sawyer

Wow, not even a string. This must be a bug in the Nordic mod. I will fix it. Thank you!

brads3

could it be a conflict between mods? i get those tagless items after i change the mod order and then play hell trying to determin which 1 is causing it. is RED's creamery above the north?? good ting is you is sure it's milk. i usually can't tell what the item is.

Nilla

You have my vote, too. :)

Your stories describes the gameplay in a very pleasant way.