News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Help a newbie!

Started by jesta030, January 22, 2017, 12:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesta030

okay, this is weird. when i pull up the contrast on the AO pic until all the baked areas are white and the rest is transparent, it doesnt change a thing. when i fill the whole picture with white the house suddenly looks normal. could be a problem with mapping the AO pic to the mesh?

Edit: filled the transparent areas with white, ingame model is lighter now. no idea wether AO is actually applied or its just dynamic lighting im seeing now...

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 06, 2017, 03:28:31 AM
what kind of light did you used in blender ? in 3dsmax we use "light => standard => Skylight" to get a light all around (and not just 2 sides) like a bright and beautiful sunny day.

no light source. it baked the texture and the AO just fine in blender's cycles engine without lighting.

and another quick question: do i have to delete the "bin" folder every time i change something or will changes replace the older files?

RedKetchup

personally , i am doing it. just to make sure everything is new :)
just by adding this to the begining of your .bat

cd RKTrainingCamp
rmdir bin /S /Q
rmdir build /S /Q
cd ..

replace the RKtainingCamp by your new mod folder
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

and personally i always use a full 64x64 white .png as AO. the level of details in game, and the zoom capacity allowed.... i dont think it justify all the time i would need to take to make them all... a white one is enough ^^

jesta030

So you basicly dont use AO?

RedKetchup

Quote from: jesta030 on February 06, 2017, 04:56:00 AM
So you basicly dont use AO?

i dont

but we are obligated to put one in the code or the game will crash .... so it is a blank (white) one.

jesta030

So I successfully imported multi-texture objects into banished and am making Progress in simplifying my existing house model (baking textures from co-planar faces into a texture Atlas currently), but i have more questions:

do i Need an extra AO Image for every texture Atlas i have and another one that covers all faces with repeating textures?

RedKetchup

no, you cannot have multiple AO for every textures. i dont think. only 1 AO that represent the whole mesh (and 1 AO for build01, 1 AO for the build02 building process. but they are still for the whole meshes)

AO is a per mesh thing, not a per texture thing

Tom Sawyer

If I look at your model @jesta030 I wonder if it is really the best way to make multi texture things. I guess a single texture would simplify your project. AO I did not use too until now. It means a lot more mod size. Not only because of many AO images, more because I can not overlay faces in the uv map (correct me if I'm wrong with that). So much more texture size and that's the thing what makes pkm's big. Passive shadows I always made directly in the texture using Photoshop. Inside the chimney for example. It's just a thought. I do not argue against AO. Actually the game wants it and I try to use it in my current model.

jesta030

I know that Multiple textures will quickly inflate the Mod but im going in reusing alot of the seamless ones.

I wasnt satisfied with the quality when using a 1024² Image for the simple house I made at First. It was blurry when zooming in. Im going to try to Bale allerdings textures into a bigger Image and See If I can find a suitable quality.

Blender allows baking Texture and AO into the Same image. If I then use a White 2x2 Image as AO Placeholder for the Game I could save alot of Space.

RedKetchup

the way i do it , i prefer to not bake them in one 1024x1024 ...
i prefer to work with multi-textures technic.

like a text for roof, a text for wall, a text for door... window... woodbeam ... etc

that way the resolution is alot better and alot less pixelirized.
and also, when you use the same individual textures, at the end , you save alot of space file. the .pkm is smaller cause you can reuse the same 256x256 or 512x512 like two or three dozen of times if not hundreds...

jesta030

How do you manage These textures between Models? Where do you put the . rsc Files?

RedKetchup

Quote from: jesta030 on February 07, 2017, 08:39:37 AM
How do you manage These textures between Models? Where do you put the . rsc Files?

in MaterialInstance folder and you make a .rsc and a Texture.rsc for each texture used:)
like :

Tom Sawyer

Blurry with 1024 is strange. Maybe there is something wrong. Even my big barn on 8x5 tiles has a 1024 px texture and I think it's good. And I also use a 2x2 white place holder image and don't care about any AO in Blender. No need to bake something there in this case.

jesta030

need more help.. :(

i have baked the wall texture to a 1024 image and tried unwrapping the corresponding faces into a separate UV map. i think the separate map isnt recognized by banished because i get distorted/black surfaces ingame for the faces i unwrapped into the second UV map.

so then i tried unwrapping all into a single UV map, placing the faces that make up the walls on the baked texture image, then scaling them and the corresponding wall texture down to half the size. this lets me fill the rest of the UV map with the remaining faces (that have seamless textures). in banished the walls are textured but the texture is obviously double the size, so banished didnt recognize that i scaled the texture size in blender, just the scale of the faces in the UV map...

any tips?

RedKetchup

on blender i cant help. maybe someone can do ....

about the seperate map... i dont think banished can recognize that