News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Necora's Work in Progress

Started by Abandoned, February 27, 2017, 07:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOtherMicheal

@grammycat aha! I don't have those mods so I didn't know what they changed in the game but I think you might have found the culprit!

Nilla

After hours of playing without problem yesterday evening, I had another crash. It was late; some kind of "Nilla-go-to-bed-alarm-crash" so I shut the computer and went to bed.

At the first crash, I saw the merchant just docking, as the game crashed. This time I was busy elsewhere, so I cant say for sure, what happenend. I started the auto save this morning and it's probably a merchant this time, too: one arrived after a few minutes.

Maybe one (or a few) of the CC-merchants causes this. I seldom play CC, so I don't remember all of these merchants. There are some I know of, that I haven't seen in this game; the ones who sell animals, luxury goods, fruit and vegetables. Maybe some more I can't recall. Could beone of those.

Abandoned

@Nilla your crash may be due to the boatman having too many items.  There is a fix for it.  I don't know how to post a link but the zip is in a post by Red under mod discussions back on Sept 26, 2014 MOD General Goods Merchant Fix for boat overflow crash.  I did a search for general goods merchant fix and found it.  Hope that helps.

TheOtherMicheal

@Nilla did you notice if the game was autosaving at the time of the crash? I ask because in the last three hours I have had two crashes when the game tried to autosave. One caused my computer to stop, I have a music player running in the background when I play Banished (because I got bored with the in game music after so many hours of playing!) and it stopped completely so I knew something bad was about to happen.
The second crash didn't stop the computer but gave me the Fatal Access Violation popup.

I have a lot of mods running and I thought maybe there was too much information for the autosave but other autosaves worked fine and manual saves worked fine as well. I am wondering if it's a problem with the 1.0.7 beta rather than any particular mod?

Nilla

@Abandoned: I`m sure the trading fix from Red wouldn't help here. I know it. It was made at the beginning of modding, as there wasn't enough space for all the new products the modders added to the game. But that was fixed in the next patch of the game and shouldn't be a problem here. But thanks anyway!

@TheOtherMicheal: No I'm pretty sure, it wasn't saving as the crash came. Because of the first crash, I changed the autosave to every 5 minutes. And I played several hours yesterday evening; many autosaves without problem.

But I had a weird crash today. After the game crashed yesterday I shut the computer and went to bed. Today, I started the last autosave, just to make some screenshots, to show in my blog. The game didn't run, but stayed open. I watched an internet television stream on my second monitor, at the same time as I looked at the screenshots and wrote the text. (WC ski crosscountry, we won bronze in men's relay :) ) It was only Banished that crashed, not the rest. I have no idea what that could be.

adelegarland

Quote from: TheOtherMicheal on March 02, 2017, 04:42:33 PM
@Necora  @adelegarland I'm using all the updated Maritimes mods with Banished build 1.0.7 beta but also with Colonial Charter 1.72. I have a lot of the mods adelegarland is using and I'm not getting any crashes except for one that I believe is unrelated to Necora's mods - whenever I build the vanilla stockpile and charcoal gets placed in it the game gives me a Fatal Access Violation (but I don't normally build the vanilla stockpile because it's inefficient compared to other storage so I'm not too worried about it).

As mentioned, I have a lot of mods enabled (including a few storage mods), a number of these mods were made for build 1.0.6 and one or two were made for earlier game builds. So far I haven't had any of the crash issues - except for that stockpile thing which is kind of weird but doesn't stop me from playing so <shrug> I don't worry about it.
There's a few mods in her list that I do not have (cotton sand brewery, Slink's hogs, tree growth and life, wildife) but I'm guessing that the crash is caused by one of two situations, 1. one of the older mods that changes something like reource spawns or 2. load order.

@adelegarland have you placed Necora's mods at the top of your load order? I'm thinking that without Colonial Charter, Necora's mods are providing all the info regarding the new resource flags (unless you have other mods made for build 1.0.7) and because some of Necora's resources require their own specialized storage, perhaps the game is getting screwed up by trying to use 1.0.6 storage for 1.0.7 resources?

@theothermichael  You make a lot of sense!  I'm trying a new village with Maritimes first in the load order, than all the 1.0.7's then anything that shows up with no conflict.    If it doesn't crash, I'll try adding in the 1.0.6 items at the end of the load order and see if they are causing the crashing.   Yesterday I played with it using only the 1.07's first and non-conflict mods but with maritimes in the middle of the load order.  Going to use your advice and put them a the top this time!    Thanks!!  (All of my other mods are showing conflicts, including storage.  But DS's new 1.0.7 storage has a set of storage yards that seem to have really good capacity...  So rendering some of the older storage mods obsolete.)
I am not a crazy cat lady...  I'm THE Crazy Cat Lady.

QueryEverything

When I have a crash that is too complex to solve my very first thing to do is delete the Autosave file completely.
Load the last good full save, save with the current time stamp and quit.
Go into the load menu, delete the Autosave.
Exit the game entirely
Go to your local saves folder, make sure the Autosave has been deleted fully.
Load Banished
Load the last save
Let it run

Banished will then generate a new Autosave and shouldn't crash when the same events happen in the new (old) game map.

There was an issue I had with @Necora rope maker, when the Banni tried to take it to the local tools & hardware market it would crash my game, but that was about a month ago and I haven't had it happen since the new releases.  I was never able to confirm it was exactly that, but it was the common event when that game would crash.
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Nilla

I'm sad to say, that I had another crash in my game yesterday. This time it was no merchant. I have no idea, why this happened. I reloaded the autosave, but opposite to the other crashes, it happened again, to exactly the same time. The second (and third) time I didn't build anything, just let the game run, still crash.

I haven't thought of deleting the autosaves. Do you think, it could be somehow corrupted @QueryEverything? I don't understand how, but I will try to do it your way. I wanted to go back to my last save anyway and see what happens. Unfortunately, I haven't made many saves, so I have to play several years again.

I play Necora´s mods without CC. I have no idea, if it has anything to do with these crashes. Has anyone any experience here; playing these mods with/without CC?

QueryEverything

@Nilla I had a map where every 3 mins after reload it would crash, right when the autosave would attempt (I had the swirly icon in the top left), no matter what I did, it just crashed.
I had enough, deleted the autosave completely and then I was able to run the map from the previous save without any issues at all, and went for 2 + hours. 

I can't offer any guarantees, but, it has to be worth a shot :)  *WARNING - backup the autosave first (copy & paste) in case it isn't that issue, and you can reload that autosave.   OR
Save the map as soon as you reload it.  Then delete the autosave, that way you still have all the work you finished, and all those years, but you get rid of any corruption in the file save. 

Good luck Nilla, it's such a pain!! :(

[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Necora

@Nilla I'm so sorry to hear about the crashes. It seems to be save game related, but I have no idea how my mod would have caused that with nothing being changed between saves. I have not played extensively with the beta game, so I will try and do so if I can get the time.

With the dock related crashes @adelegarland I have been thinking. I don't understand how the 1x1 dock piece can cause a crash, it doesn't do anything once built. I'm wondering if that crash was something else but just happened to occur at the same time? With regards to rope makers, there could be a couple of issues.

1) Storage flags in buildings - raw materials will use different flags between new 107 mods and old 106 mods. If a bannie needs hemp/flax to make rope, but the flag is set at something different between mods, then they will not be able to place it in the building but will just keep walking back and forth between storage and building with the item. This, however, should not cause a crash, just a very tired bannie.

2) Storage flags in stock piles - The new limits/flags moved some resources around. For example, rope and dory were materials previously (using the CoalFuel flag). This meant that they were to be stored in a stock pile, and so had 3 extra mesh instances for the stock pile piles. If they don't have this, the game crashes when they are put into the stock pile. With the new limits, rope and dory are now under 'crafted' for Custom0 flag, which is to be stored in barns. This means I took away the stock pile meshs. If, however, you have another mod above the maritimes which causes rope and dory to be materials once again, such as a 106 maritimes or CC or something, then when they are put into the stock pile it will crash the game.

3) Again, with mods from 106, there may be an odd occurrence where the resource limit and the building limit are different, which may cause the game to crash when these are used.

Necora

Dev update - I have finished pulling the Sherbrooke set out of the big mod, attached are some pictures. We have a blacksmith, tailor, school, church, market, and saw mill. I had the idea of 3 'levels' of buildings, basic, middle, and advanced. The pine set and PEI Shore set makes up the basic level, Sherbrooke and NS Fisheries make up the middle level, and I have not got to the third level yet!

brads3

could pick a different area of canada like near the rockies.  define 3rd level. what do you have for ideas of what it should consist of? i still have my farm-homestead and the lodge and different way of doing the forest set ideas.

adelegarland

Hi Necora,
I've been working a game with only 1.0.7 mods and non conflict mods that are all green in the load order. I started with none of your maritime mods, and added them in one at a time, playing for hours with each addition and adding the normal items to progress the game.   I've added them in in order of when they were released, and most of the mods were OK, several "fake crashes" where the program crashed on a Save/Quit/Load sequence, usually crashing on loading, then being stable on a second load.    Got to the Crystal Cliffs and all kinds of crashes began.    I built everything in the wild resource production tab before the crashing started... I think that as things were collected and processed, somewhere in that process something messes up. It seems that since building these items the crashing began.  Its always the fatal access violation error.  Do you know if there is anything in the crash dump file to tell us what went wrong?  I don't know how to get it open to see it.

I am going to compile a list of all the mods I am using in their current load order and post that too.   right now I'm quitting for the day, been playing this since 7:00 this morning and its almost 1PM.    Time for a break.
I am not a crazy cat lady...  I'm THE Crazy Cat Lady.

Necora

@adelegarland hmmm...

You said it started crashing once you set up the crystal cliffs mod. There are few common resources between those mods, the main one being lumber.

Indeed, I checked the lumber template file and in the Crystal Cliffs mod it does have the old 'CoalFuel' flag/limit rather than the new 'Custom5' flag/limit.

That might be one cause of a crash. I'm currently updating the mods now, but won't be able to upload anything until next week due to bad internet. In the mean time, move crystal cliffs below the Pine Set in your load order, that should fix the lumber issue making the pine set lumber load first. Lumber is only a build requirement in crystal cliffs, so there should be no issue there at all.

As for the crash dumps, I have no idea.

QueryEverything

@adelegarland I have mine listed in the following order, over CC & MM (if you run them), and I haven't had a problem with lumber, in fact I had to turn it off because I ran out of buildings that used it :D

See if this load order helps you.