Started by embx61, June 25, 2017, 04:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

embx61

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

gatinho65

Since my question is about this mod, I hope it is okay to post it here rather than in the general question section?

I love these plants and really would love to use them, but any game that I have tried to include this mod, crashes within the first year. Every single time, and only with this mod enabled in the list of the mods. I only use this on its own, I don't use the Irrigation mod. Is that a factor?

Does it conflict in some way with a spawning or other big early load mod? I tend to always try to play my games including New Flora and NatDiv, but even in games where I left these out, I can't get my game to play including these decorations no matter where I put them in the load list. Again this might just be a mac only issue, like I'm having with most of Maritime's beautiful mods, but I thought I'd ask in case someone has noticed when I should leave these decorations out if I'm including something else that doesn't play well with it.

Gatherer

These decorations don't rely on anything else. It is a completely standalone mod.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Necora

As far as I am aware, there is no such thing as dependencies in Banished in the same way as, for example, SC4. There are a couple of mods that are fixes or overrides for certain things, but any sets such as this will work completely stand alone, so you are definitely not getting a compatibility or dependency issue.

I have not used this mod, so I can't say for sure, but it seems like you are having issues with mods that include "high res" models, such as the trees from the maritimes set? The trees tend to have higher numbers of vertices etc., and also have 'animations' for lack of a better word where they sway in the wind, leaves appear and disappear in winter etc. I'm not sure how but I wonder if it is a mac, graphics, or memory related issue...?

gatinho65

@Necora: Ha yeah the dependency thing in SimCity was a horrendous nightmare lol, really glad to hear that it doesn't work that way in Banished, I just wanted to be very sure.

And I think you are probably, somehow the higher quality models are glitching the way the mac runs the little pc drive that works the game within its envelope. When the game crashes for me, there is always a note from within that created drive that says something wasn't working right, usually a dll issue.

Funny enough last night I ran a test game for 10 banished years just to see if the NMT crops would work that long without a crash, and they worked fine. It was enabled along with NatDiv and New Flora so I was happy to see that at least a few mods with more demanding complex models can run well together. Or maybe the NMT crops aren't really complex models and so are fine lol. My next test is to see if that NMT crops work with the colonial sets. I'm still working on figuring out which mods work well together long enough to play enjoyably without crashing as the game gets into the teen years.

RedKetchup

Quote from: gatinho65 on October 06, 2017, 12:23:06 PM
Or maybe the NMT crops aren't really complex models and so are fine lol.

nan they arent complex models :)
orchards will be more because trees are alot biggers than just a little something on the ground ^^ and trees are alot harder to do :( they are on pause cause the 2 last tries to make new ones were disasters ^^

the meadows though are more complex than crops
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

gatinho65

Did anyone figure out how Luke made his trees? As a quide for what sort of construction worked? It seems like its best to have a simple skeleton and then fake the foliage with those sheets of leaves or however its termed lol? Is that how necora made her beautiful trees? I guess that is why the xfrog plants would be challenging, they often do model all the various parts. The EB irrigation deco look like xfrog plants to me, they seem familiar, maybe that is why they are more demanding to run in my game?

I had most of my SimCity success with desert plants with simpler shapes, not lots of branches and leaves. But even an opuntia turned out very well, and some really lovely palm trees. I only ever tweaked models in gmax, a bit in 3dsmax, and xfrog itself, I don't know how to make a tree in blender but it looks very difficult lol.

Necora

@gatinho65 well the trees in game are very simple, they only have something like 200 faces (158 for the fig tree example), the maritimes ones have more like 500 (566 in the aspen tree). I used a similar method to the game trees, the trunks are pretty much the same, only mine are bigger and have more yet smaller leaf faces, the main difference is I subdivided my leaf faces to give some depth to them rather than perfectly flat planes. I have not really played around with them since I released them the first time, so maybe there is some optimizing that could be done at some stage, but they take a lot of time. It is really hard to get a full looking tree while keeping some nice detail without blowing the face count out of the water.

That being said, the models in this set don't look like they have too many faces to them. As for your crashes, do you use any of the decos before the crash? If you don't place any of the items, does it still crash?

gatinho65

@Necora: Sometimes the game crashes before I get to plant any of the deco, sometimes after. If I only enable a deco mod on its own and play a test game with all the vanilla buildings, it runs fine for over a decade at least. Except for this Irrigation Deco, which crashes within the first year every single time, no idea why.

But if I enable several housing/production mods and the deco mods as well, the game runs into problems. Sometimes before the game even loads, and sometimes within the first year. And if I try to enable mods from say, 4 different creators, the community toolbar seems to melt down lol, it just doesn't want to load all those lovely buttons. This is often when the game fails to even load. Or maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there. But it does seem to matter to my game how many different creators I use all at the same time.

I can play 1 set of plant deco (like kids), Maritime Storage, DS bridges, and Kid's Colonial Set and the game seems to run okay for at least a decade but does start to get a few crashes after that if I'm adding houses and other items to keep the game going, usually again when a Trading boat arrives.

However, anything more complex then that and the game won't even load up. I can play the full range of DS Small Village but add nothing else. I could probably play Pine Set all on its own but the game is so slow that its hard to even know when it would run into problems, it would take me weeks to get to a village of 10+ years.

And to be honest, the reason I'm doing so much testing now is because it is very discouraging to build up towns over many hours and then find that crashing gets so constant that its no fun to play the game and I have to abandon it. My goal is usually around 100-120 stable population and then just lots of landscaping and decorating, so I'm not going for mega-towns or anything lol, but even getting a game to be stable at 80-100 pop is proving difficult if I have too many or the wrong combination of mods enabled.

I suspect the vast majority of these issues are related to running a virtual pc for the game on a mac. But I'm curious to see if others have had issues loading lots of individual mods from various creators even on a pc, people doing this instead of using those gigantic mods like CC or MM.

About the trees: in SimCity it was often obvious in a negative way when seeing low poly plants and trees, somehow the 'fullness' using those transparent sheets with leaves really didn't work well. I still think Luke's original trees are quite attractive, as is most of the vanilla game, but also think they are pretty simple. Your trees are really successful imho, really beautiful, and I watched an entire hour of them through the seasons at one forest spot without moving when I was doing my first test with Pine Set that didn't crash;) I guess its about constant testing to see if you've added enough foliage sheets that look good? No wonder it takes so much time!

I'm hoping when I get my new game pc and can actually use some of the modkit, I will be able to go back to something creative. I have old versions of 3dsmax but it might be fun to try Blender, although I've read it has an extremely steep learning curve and is especially difficult for plant creation. Since I have so many xfrog plants, I'd really love to figure out a way to take advantage of the models that can look good but still cut down on the poly count.

Send me a message if you have a particular tree or two you'd like to experiment with and I can send you the xfrog tree if its in my library, only I think most of them are in the xfrog format. But most of them were already available in other formats so at least you know what to look for if you google for a link to a different format for that particular tree, I think some formats are much easier to import into Blender than others (maya format maybe?) and you can see how they are constructed. Some of them do use those leaf sheets also, and xfrog plants have good textures if you can figure out how to use them.

Gatherer

@gatinho65

I'm no computer wizard or anything like that but with all the problems you keep reporting running this game on mac it might be wise to invest money into a proper gaming pc. Now I'm sure you have your reasons for using mac and Wine or Linux or whatever OSx. To each his/her own but if something doesn't work properly I'd think very hard if I'd want to run it any longer or abandon it.

Please don't take this as a criticism. It is just a train of thought on my part. Below is a list of mods in load order for one of my towns (Castle Rock X - screenshot blog can be found in the Village Blogs subforum).

As you can see I've used many mods from various modders.

I'm running on Win7 32-bit, SP1, i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 4GB RAM (3,46 usable)

tradecomplete
NewLimitVanillaTP
banishedUI
SeasonFX
limitResource
tighterroadsextended
MoreStone
StorageMod
MoreWood
MoreIron
betterFields
NMT30CanalSet
NMT30ClayChain
newmedievaltown
NewFlora
MaritimesPineSet
MaritimesTrees
NatDiv
plains
MaritimesNSInshore
rowhouse
MaritimesDockSet
ForestOutpost
MaritimesPEIShore
MiniBuildings
ColonialResource
ForestDeep
WheelbarrowBigger
DSWagonVendor
DSJettyAndBridge
DSSmallVillageProduction
DSSmallVillageServices
MaritimesSherbrooke
BetterStockPiles
KidWildWest
EBStorageSet
SpecializedStockpiles
BetterStockPileStorage
RKFirewoodStorage
storageCart
DSSmallVillageStorage
warehouse
ColonialHousing
NordicWarehouse
StorageCrates
D20MedievalHouses
DSStoneHovels
CountryLittleHouse
GHLightHouse
BroadwayTower
NewEngland
EBFarmhouses
nordichouses
Charburner
RedCottage
DSAleHouse
ChickenCoop
DSCrestBlacksmith
Mathieuso_Furnace
RKGardenWallsUtility
RKOldBlacksmith
DSPickandHenBrewery
EBHerbalist
WorkPlace
Ketchup
MarketBBQ
DSStythTower
MarketSoup
GoHunting
FlyFishing
sawmill
EBWinery
monastery
EBMarketSet
LogDepot
marketpuzzle
wintinEmporium
EBApothecary
CleanMeat
Carrots
EBSunflower
lettuce
CropHerb
Pigs
whiteChicken
fig
Ducks
KidLargePort
LargePort    -    -    -    -    -    -    MOD DISABLED
SmallPort
EBChurch
EBChapel
Tiny
VillageSchool
gardenshed
KidYardCover
MaritimesDecorations
WhiteFenceSet
WhitePicketFence
DecoPlants
DSBridgeCrossing
WashingMod
DecoCrates
Mathieuso_Decorations
DecorativeItems
DSFences
RKGardenWalls
NECEmptySquare
Covering
smallwell
DSRoads
NewTrees
flatten
mushroom
detachableMonkeyDisableFires
LessFog
kayTweakMoreWorkers
BobbiDoctorHouse
vBetterRainSound
XP-HS-Training
roadTest
LongerLivingOrchards
professionsBox
Radius
IrrelevantTweakCrops
FenceLess
TinySmoke
CallofNatureSoundtrack
CCTerrains    -    -    -    -    -    -    MOD DISABLED
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

wiscoke

@gatinho65 , I have to agree with @Gatherer . I think your problems are because you are running it on a mac or the load order of your mods . In my recent game I have used more mods then gatherer and still no crashes. You can check my load order of the mods I used in my latest map on imgur http://imgur.com/a/h9DE9