Author Topic: The Next Chapter of Wifi...  (Read 6230 times)

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
Re: The Next Chapter of Wifi...
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 10:22:59 AM »
And it is still somewhat incomprehensible to me, although I now accept that as the case.  ;D

I have the unfair advantage of being born American and now being Canadian living in Ontario. It gives one a unique perspective on both Americans and the English. After all, it was "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" that caused the original divorce, eh?

If you really are happy on the beach and aren't living off tax money, what's wrong with that?

As a professional theological ethicist, I can assure you that the answer to your question is: Nothing, absolutely nothing. The problem in the modern world is the price of beach property.  :'(

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 04:28:02 PM »
I had nightmares during the first summer I worked as a student in a research laboratory.  I felt terribly guilty that was I being paid to have fun, in my estimation.  I got over that.  The last resistance crumbled when I was sent to Florida for a seminar, in winter, that had evening hours.  I spent my afternoons lazing around in a swimming pool drinking margaritas while listening to a marimba band, at company expense.  At that time, I imagined the feelings of my coal-miner grandfather had he been alive and aware of what I was doing.  I smiled to myself and reveled in my freedom.

After I was married still felt obliged to "work for a living" in order to maintain my rights as an adult.  This was a leftover of my mother's admonitions when I was a young adult.  If you didn't bring in any money to the household, you were nobody.  Living in America's Heartland during several recessions made that difficult, which brought that part of my life an end with an argument between my husband and I.  He said he was proud of being able to support a wife who did nothing, and he wished I would stop taking what were, frankly, humiliating jobs as well as poorly paid ones.  I realized that my mother had been supporting two children and an invalid husband who was too proud to file for such benefits as were available at the time, which almost certainly weren't as many as are available now.  I realized that I didn't need to do that, and therefore stopped trying to find work. 

After a few years of leisure, my husband put me back to work in our own business.  That was mostly fun as well as, sadly, unprofitable.  He lost his job and worked from home for two years, after our business went under.  Now we're both retired and neither one of us misses going to work.  We've never taken a cent of taxpayer's money other than Social Security, for which we paid more than we will ever get back.  And on which, I might add, we pay income tax.  The government giveth with one hand and taketh with the other.

I'm happy though.  And a beach is overrated.  Too much sand, flies, and people.   :)

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 09:27:35 AM »
It is interesting how our parents live on through us.

I have to disagree about beaches being overrated. Of course I did grow up in So. Cal. where you have your choice of beaches. My Mom and my sister currently spend a couple of weeks every August in a little town called Cayucos which is about 1/2 way between LA and SF and is not overrun with people. We couldn't go to CA to be with them this year  :'(, but there is nothing quite like sitting on the deck sipping a nice dark roast coffee or good black tea and watching the waves roll onto the beach through the fog. Not much frolicking (it's too chilly), but very soothing. Living here I can go to Lake Erie or Huron, but it doesn't smell the same. We had a great week on Briar Island, Nova Scotia, a couple of years ago and my work sent me to Lunenburg, NS, several times over the years which is beautiful. So, I admit it, I'm addicted to places where ocean meets land.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »
I grew up with the Chicago shoreline and I loved it, but it was much too crowded for my current tastes.  I used to ache for the sight of big water meeting the land, but now it's just not worth traveling to see.  Also, sitting in the sand is a lot different from sitting on a deck overlooking said sand.  I didn't mind sand in my clothing when I was young, single, and often tipsy.  I love my comfort more, now.   ;D

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
Also, sitting in the sand is a lot different from sitting on a deck overlooking said sand.  I didn't mind sand in my clothing when I was young, single, and often tipsy.  I love my comfort more, now.   ;D

You've got me there! Next week we'll be going to a very beautiful lake NE of Toronto called Stony Lake where the closest I'll get to the sand is drinking my morning tea on a Muskoka chair (like an Adirondack chair, only Canadian). And the cottage is air conditioned.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 03:55:57 PM »
...We've never taken a cent of taxpayer's money other than Social Security, for which we paid more than we will ever get back.  And on which, I might add, we pay income tax.  The government giveth with one hand and taketh with the other...

Be sure not to save any of the Social Security to pay for something like your funeral. When the govt finds out, they will take it since you are supposed to use every cent they grudgingly give back to you.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 07:42:47 AM »
...We've never taken a cent of taxpayer's money other than Social Security, for which we paid more than we will ever get back.  And on which, I might add, we pay income tax.  The government giveth with one hand and taketh with the other...

Be sure not to save any of the Social Security to pay for something like your funeral. When the govt finds out, they will take it since you are supposed to use every cent they grudgingly give back to you.

(Bitter rant coming  >:( )

Be thankful you are not a US citizen living outside the US using a "foreign" bank (which in our case is the bank around the corner). We have to report every last cent we have in the bank to two different US govt. agencies using two different sets of forms, report all money in retirement savings on yet another set of forms and file complete income tax returns for the US. I used to fill out the forms myself, but they are now so complicated that we now pay an accountant to do it. And, of course, we pay our Canadian income taxes. I'm all for nabbing people who hide money offshore to avoid paying their fair share, but it does create a burden for those of us who can't afford tax havens.

(/End of bitter rant  :'( )

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 08:06:39 AM »
Oh yuck.  I always wondered what the result would be of checking that box about foreign banks.

On a more humorous note, back when I incorporated our family business online, I got a whole bunch of e-mails offering to set me up with off-shore banking.  We should only have had such a need!

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 06:47:56 AM »
On a more humorous note, back when I incorporated our family business online, I got a whole bunch of e-mails offering to set me up with off-shore banking.  We should only have had such a need!

In a very weak moment some years back I served a term as assistant dean. Somehow the word got out and I still get spam from "placement" services advertising all the great people they have who would like employment. I also get spam from executive head hunters with academic administrative job offers. Should there be a hell, it would be an eternity as assistant dean.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
Forgive me, but I didn't even know there was such a position as assistant dean.  In my experience, the dean was only there to talk severely to you if your grades were less than average.  Or in the case of the dean in my undergraduate college, to look delicious playing volleyball in his swim trunks.   ;D

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 08:06:18 AM »
Or in the case of the dean in my undergraduate college, to look delicious playing volleyball in his swim trunks.   ;D

If only!  :'(

Back when I was an undergrad there was also no such thing as an assistant dean. But, you know how it is with bureaucracy. In the modern university like cannot go on without more vice presidents than full-time faculty and every dean MUST have an assistant dean--who now gets the job of speaking severely to you if your grades aren't what they ought to be and convincing faculty that, yes, they really do want to teach that class that meets Friday at 4:00 PM. Like I said, if there's a hell . . . .