News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Send me Terrain textures and I make your Terrain Mod

Started by embx61, August 30, 2017, 01:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

embx61

I made 2 little terrain mods so far but I think that most players have their own idea of what the Banished World should look like.

Between my regular modding sessions I can do some Terrain work as the code is fairly simple.
Finding the textures is the most time consuming.

So you want your own Banished World design?

All I need is 6 textures. Unless you want the Vanilla Pasture/Crop Field/Orchard/Storage Yard. They have to be at least 1024x1024 and square and they have to be seamless.

Format does not matter as long as it is not a real odd format. but JPG, PNG, PSD will all do.

Send them to me and name the textures for what you part want them to be and I put a Terrain Mod for you together.

I send the source code as well as the PKM so maybe you want to change a texture later you can as long as you have the Mod kit installed to compile it.

The six textures should be named:

Mountains
Grass
Pasture
Orchard
CropField
StorageYard

so I know what texture belongs to what part you want it to be.

Also what name you want to give your terrain.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Necora

I've not looked into terrains, are they the only options to change? Can you change the colour of the sand along river banks for example?

Oh and I love the look of the Grizzly terrain, looks nice and rocky. I'll have to give it a go.

embx61

There is a dirt texture what can be replaced too but I left that one untouched so it uses the vanilla one.

Nothing I see for the river banks so I guess it is the dirt texture what gives it the color.

brads3

there are sand roads that can be used to make a beach area. but they are limited in that they can't go into the water spaces.we need an editor like SIMCITY 4 so we can design,paint ,and then connect towns together. 1 map can interact with another. that would help abandoned's stories.

embx61

After some testing and making a dirt texture with a real red output I put it in the game.

The river banks had some red just on the edge of the regular terrain.
I think the rest of the river banks are using the mountain texture.

It also seem that the dirt texture blends through the grass terrain texture as it was showing pretty red all over the map.

Necora

Tom Sawyer

Yes, the dirt texture is blended with grass texture for some diversity on flat land and also appears at transition areas between grass and mountains. Grass and mountain texture are blended as well depending on inclination of the terrain. Steep terrain gets mountain and flat gets grass which means to get also mountain texture at steep river banks. On my wish list for Luke I have a point of a separate texture for steep terrain with height < 0. Would be nice to create a suitable texture on banks with sand or vegetation and without messing up mountains.

embx61

@Necora

Give me a bit and I will do the test again and take a screen shot before and after adding a customized dirt texture.

embx61

First Picture is with the Vanilla Dirt Texture.
The second Picture is with a dirt texture I made with a lot of Red so it would stand out.

It seems the riverbanks get also some bleeding from the Dirt Texture as the mountains are gray textures as can be seen in the pictures.
So the riverbanks are also a blend of Mountain and Dirt Texture.

brads3

another limit to the game design. we need another layer.so it would lay the ground,the mountians,and at least 1 more for river banks.then we would want 1 for this and 1 for that,LOL. like stones,beach,forests and meadows. the only way i can see to do a beach now,is the ghosted decoration spaces or the roads. both are limited in that they can't impede into the water much and are at ground level so the sand space looks like it floats.the only solution i foresee is a combination of RED's roads and NECORA's riffle mod. where ghost decoration spaces is set to dig out the ground and set lower. this would give a break from the ground level and texture plus when placed half in and out of water ,the space would be under water partly.

embx61

There are four main textures for terrain.

Mountain
Grass
Dirt
Snow

The dirt however blend with the grass and at the river banks.
The dirt not interfere with mountains unless it is about horizontal with the ground plane on those mountains.
Some grass is visible on those spots too.

I found after making two terrain mods and a test terrain mod so far the vanilla Dirt textures just works fine so I did not see the need (yet) to replace it.

Making all kind of different terrains is possible. You can make desserts, jungles, meadows, heck even a fully paved ground with the modkit.

It is only because of some of the blending it is not possible to have for example green grass and dark brown mountains but the river banks being yellow sand color.

QueryEverything

I love that reddy/brown mix terrain, it's quite lovely, and different.

Though the new terrains won't work with the other start condition mods by @Bartender / @Necora / @tanypredator will it?

I wish there was a way where you could write a program that would mix & match start conditions that could then create a new start plugin to load into the game.   Like a shopping cart.  *le sigh
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

embx61

Depends.

I not sure if they change the 6 textures of the Terrain in the game.
If they don't it should work as all what this mod does is add a terrain what call those six textures.

So no spawns and stuff.

QueryEverything

I might let the others answer, otherwise I can try and test it out myself when they're ready for release :D 
It would be interesting to be able to have new start textures with mix/match appeal with start conditions :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

embx61

I am pretty sure Tany not changing the terrain textures but I can be wrong.

I can check it out by loading the mods one by one and look at modlist rollout to see if there are conflicts.