News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

You want it darker?

Started by kid1293, September 19, 2017, 09:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatherer

Personally don't like too much new trade only stuff. It takes more time and more merchant visits to get a few much needed items without special (and more expensive) orders.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

That's one of the main reasons I like choosing a small select group of mods for each map.  That is why I like Red's stand alone old greenhouse one reliable trade item, and I began using it in first story, Smallville, as part of the storyline - environmental restoration.  Also the same reason I don't like too many production chains, how many players don't use cheats for that?

TaylorItaly

One is me.
I allways start at Hard , never use debug ;max 3 trade ports.
But i think you are right, most will just use debug to get seeds or livestock.

Abandoned

I use 1:1 aging or proper time on small maps, never debug, different start conditions some more difficult than others. 

Denis de la Rive

Since we are discussing player styles, I find that if I don"t have several production chains, there is nothing to do after 25-30 years, stockpiles are full, barns bursting with food. You can always get new seeds, but they only change the look of your fields. Once you have a grain, a veg, cows, and chickens, (sheep are nice too), the rest is mostly decorative, not that this is wrong. Survival wise you are set.

Having chains forces you to strive for goals beyond survival, more so when it concerns building requirements. In my last town I played without CC, so I could try Nat/Div, and ran out of things to do!

One of my beefs is that with limited production options you have little to trade with when all you get are trader that don't take alcohol, you could trade clothing and tools, but that is just too risky.

Having options for trade that are balanced is important for many reasons, including helping players who are less skilled, and experts don't have to use them if they find it cheats. Trade issues can be solved by using specialized docks, that you remove when you are done.

TaylorItaly

I am a newbie and don`t want to step on somebody's ( your ) toes, but i always play Nat/Div + New Flora + CC.

Paeng

I also don't debug and cheat (unless you consider using specialized ports cheating)  :)

And I also find playing without chains rather dull after a while. The important thing is that chains stay simple, not become convoluted monsters where you need to build five additional workplaces to just get one fresh resource or item...

My favorite chains are those that enhance food - a butcher to make all kinds of meat products, a saltwork to preserve fish, meat, veggies, a beekeeper to make met and candles... up to more involved chains like fodder/stable/fertilizer/, with an associated perfumery... or workplaces that make for more advanced building requirements like clay, reeds, glass, bricks etc... An occasional chain just for trade items is okay, as long as it does not become a simple "cash cow".

For me, chains are the salt in the soup.  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

i agree. i like it simple  ;)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

i agree with most of what you all have said. however,i rather leave all my mods or all that i can enabled and not switch in and out each game. the mod order is so picky that i rather get it to work and then leave it alone. i can shoose which mods i want to use while playing it. i don't usually build everything in 1 map.plus if i decide i want something later it is already in the game. i don't have to add the mod and run the risk of killing the map mid-game.
       the debug gets a bad name.you all list it as a cheat. it can be a handy tool. 1st it is handy to check mods out and see how they look.it also is handy to check for mod conflicts.when CC did the last update,i ran the debug and threw buildings and decorations all over a mpa just to see what all was different.when i did upgrade to the 1.07,i ran the debug to see how the NMT and CC bricks would work as well as trade posts to see about double item tags.the other day a player asked about issues with the small tavern. i was able to take all my mods out except CC and run tests in  minutes with the debug. without it, the same tests would take hours playing "live".
      i also don't think of it as a cheat if used for start conditions.say you want to start with cows and a certain fruit. the game may give you that start if you restart 10 times,but it might not. you could debug it in and then choose to trade for the other seeds and livestock.actually adding bannies can make the game harder. you need to build more workplaces and houses faster.it does give you more options.
      for new players the debug can be useful. soe only pick up the game for a short amount of time off and on.say they made a small mistake,like the crop field got cleared in early summer, instead of starting over,they might want to use the debug to fix the mistake and then let the game play.this is quite ueseful when you start learning the game.

Paeng

Quote from: brads3 on October 07, 2017, 08:18:59 AMthe debug gets a bad name.

Absolutely right, and you listed most of the good reasons for it.

I also use it to monitor my frame rate to see which mods create lag.

* Iwonder if it's possible to mod a "minimize" button to the debug menu - if so, I want it - badly!  :)

TheOtherMicheal

I agree too, I've found the debug quite useful for my style of play. I always have disasters on but I use the debug to turn off tornadoes for about 80% of the maps I play because I like the added challenge of disasters but I HATE the mass damage of the tornado. I'm happy enough with fires, disease and crop/livestock blight but I HATE tornadoes.
Other times I've wanted to focus on building a town rather than focusing on survival and the debug allows me to remove the survival needs so I can concentrate on making the town look the way I want it to.
And I think I might have mentioned that I hate tornadoes...
  ;D

kid1293

You want it darker?

Here a test of cemetery textures.
Of course it could not be empty. All done with debug.  ::)

Abandoned

Nice cemetery @kid1293, will be a great addition to the Gothic set.

For those of you who like complex production chains, hopefully @embx61 will finish taking a break and get back to work making more of them for you.   :)

Paeng

Quote from: Abandoned on October 10, 2017, 08:43:42 AMhopefully embx61 will finish taking a break

Indeed, he is much missed...  :(

* Not that I find his chains overly complicated, they all work nice and easy enough...   :)

brads3

indeed. i notice it has been too quiet lately