News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Close to Giving up

Started by mellowtraumatic, October 24, 2017, 04:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mellowtraumatic

I hate to say it but I may have reached the end of the road with Banished. I can play a new game for a good while but then eventually, the game begins to crash whenever I save. I'm not sure what the problem is. I've tried all sorts of different things to get it running again. It could be due the reshade or one of the other mods but I would think that it would crash much sooner than it does if that were case. I don't want to walk away from a game that I have so much fun with but I'm at a loss as to what to do. Playing without mods is not really an option.

RedKetchup

so sorry to see the end of your banished road  :'(
i hope you will find a new interesting way to play with fewer better mods.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

mellowtraumatic

Maybe I'll just do some more experimenting. Start adding mods a few at a time and see how that goes. I do love this game. I tried to play Forest Village for a few hours but that one isn't without its problems either and it's just not the same.

irrelevant

I lost one of my favorite towns due to mod conflicts. In my case the crashes occurred when the game tries to do something with one of the resources that was defined differently in one of the mods than it was in one of the others. Once it gets to this point, that town pretty much is gone.

But since then I have made dozens of successful towns that I have enjoyed very much. Don't give up on the game just because you lose one town. Just be more selective with your choice of mods next time. 

mellowtraumatic

Well, it's been several towns now. This has been happening for a few weeks. I'll give it some more time though. Play around with the mods and dump a few.

RedKetchup

Quote from: mellowtraumatic on October 24, 2017, 05:23:58 PM
Well, it's been several towns now. This has been happening for a few weeks. I'll give it some more time though. Play around with the mods and dump a few.
thats good :) cause...

there will be 1 of very big immersion mod that will happening in a few weeks .... :)

brads3

does it ONLY crash on save?? do you have auto save disabled? did you chrck the task manager and shut down any programs you are not using? are you running full screne or is that disabled? i am not convinced the problem is a mod yet. have you tried using an earlier save and let the game run a couple minutes and then try to save it? with the same mods enabled, have you tried a new map?  hit start change the speed to 10X and hit save. will it take it or will it crash?
     just to be sure,you are running 1.07?? it does say on the bottom of the start screne 1.07 build 17 something?i ask in case somehow that part was corrupted. i would think the game would error instantly or show errors when trying to enable 1.07 mods to  1.06 game but what we think and what happens can be different.the world does get foggy sometimes.

mellowtraumatic

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 24, 2017, 05:45:03 PM

there will be 1 of very big immersion mod that will happening in a few weeks .... :)

Oh, that sounds exciting! :D

Quote from: brads3 on October 24, 2017, 06:31:26 PM
does it ONLY crash on save?? do you have auto save disabled? did you chrck the task manager and shut down any programs you are not using? are you running full screne or is that disabled? i am not convinced the problem is a mod yet. have you tried using an earlier save and let the game run a couple minutes and then try to save it? with the same mods enabled, have you tried a new map?  hit start change the speed to 10X and hit save. will it take it or will it crash?
     just to be sure,you are running 1.07?? it does say on the bottom of the start screne 1.07 build 17 something?i ask in case somehow that part was corrupted. i would think the game would error instantly or show errors when trying to enable 1.07 mods to  1.06 game but what we think and what happens can be different.the world does get foggy sometimes.

Yes, it only crashes on saving. I disabled the autosave quite some time ago. I am running full screen. I try to shut down everything I'm not using although I don't go to task manager and shut them all down. I just close everything I've got up. I can load up my town right now from the previous and save it if I want. It does fine. I had done a lot of building and added a lot of things in my last playthrough when it started to crash on saving. I get a myriad of error messages when it happens, like a runtime error, or error in a game module, etc. This eventually happens on any map that I try. And I am running the current version of 1.07. I just checked to be sure.

brads3

hmmm odd. so you can save the town sometimes but not others and you haven;t narrowed it down to a specific building as it happens randomly?do you have RED's trade fix mod installed?i'm stumped by the fact that it only does it on saves. only thing i can think of is to reopen the game do exactly what you did before but save it between things more often and try to narrow down more. just for curiosity sake,did you ever debug and check the inventory to see if you have any double or blank tags?

QueryEverything

Hiya @mellowtraumatic :)

There is a known bug where if you haven't loaded, exited, reloaded a new mod when installing it, whenever you attempt to save a map the game will crash.  Some mods don't do this - so you may not have had this happen in the past, however for most of us, it's happened on more than one occasion, and I'm hoping this is the cause of your problems, because if so, it's an easy fix :)

1)  Load Banished
2)  Make sure mods are enabled in the order that you want them in, move them around, disable them etc as you need to
3)  Exit Banished (after pressing OK to the changes in step 2), make sure the game completely Exits
4)  Load Banished, check all mods are ok - don't change anything though
5)  Start a small map, name it, change things you need to
6)  Save the map - make sure it saves
7)  Exit the map
8)  Reload the map, make sure it runs ok.
9)  If all is good, try making your map as you want it.
**   I suggest a small map as it's so much faster to load, and easier to access as you're testing things to begin with
*** If the above doesn't work - try doing the steps again, but disable ALL the mods :)

I would also as part of this make sure the autoback up file of the save files has been deleted (when the game has been closed).  The game is touchy - it doesn't always really confirm the mod changes when you press "OK" as part of the confirmation, so really the only way to do so is to Exit out completely and let the game load to the PC correctly that way.

If that still hasn't solved your problem, I'm wondering about a compatibility issue, a rogue mod somewhere, perhaps one that actually hasn't downloaded correctly, or is a really old one and is conflicting with the new game updates. 

By at least following the process though you will be able to troubleshoot if the issue is the way the game has the mods loaded into the registry - OR if it's a mod itself.

Good luck. :)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

RedKetchup

Quote from: mellowtraumatic on October 24, 2017, 07:02:00 PM
Quote from: RedKetchup on October 24, 2017, 05:45:03 PM

Oh, that sounds exciting! :D

oh me too i am excited ^^
sometime i just launch the game just to listen to my brand new music files ^^

Abandoned

RedKetchup

Abandoned

mellowtraumatic

I did a little bit of experimenting last night, taking Brad's advice to recreate what I did before to try and narrow down the crash. It seems to happen after I destroy this nomad well that I have next to the market. It's a little confusing because this is the first time I've ever destroyed the well. I always have one of those in my town though.