News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Texture replacements – feedback needed

Started by Voeille, May 17, 2018, 10:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voeille

I decided to make texture replacements for the standard environment as it wasn't green enough as far as I'm concerned. I used my standard grass textures I made (using a stock image and textures from The Sims series) for The Sims (2 and 3) and Cities Skylines. I also replaced the cliff texture. Overall I'm happy with the result, but I'm not entirely sure about the rocky texture for pastures, orchards, and cemeteries. Should I leave it like that? Or maybe just go with a brighter grass texture?

kid1293

Don't leave it like that. It looks out of place compared to your nice grass.
Maybe a little lighter than grass (not much). Or even just a bit darker.
It is a matter of taste. Test :)

brads3

i agree with KIDD.have you checked out the seasonFX mod?

since you started this  will throw ideas. 1 of the things other players as well has mentioned from time to time.is there a way to get the game to allow us to add different start settings to the map.most times it seems it depends completely on the highest mod in mod order. the old "rule" is the highest mod  has the most affect. that generally works for most mods. however start settings are somewhat different. instead of adding the effects from mod 3 to mod 1 and 2,mod 1 overrides mod 2 and 3.

for example take the CC shipwreck start. that start works by itself but won't work with the pine and nat div mods.similarly if you tried to use the multiple starts mod with that ,they clash. you get 1 or the other.

seems there should be a way to add the start variable controls from different mods by mod order. like say add your texture plus KIDD's vegetable garden start plus an A&E population setting. all at once.so far there are a few exceptions. we can add the pine mod and its trees and traps plus the NAt DIv mod's plants. with my setup those have limittions also, as the food collecting tools ignore some of those items.

Voeille

Well, I've tried several options and I think this one seems best – lighter terrain under orchards, and sort of medium with bits of ground for pastures.

I agree about the custom starts. I would like for example an Adam & Eve start, with old growth forests from Beautiful World, with thatch-grass from NatDiv, and with additional plants from New Flora. But thatch never works unless NatDiv is at the top, and then I don't get the forests. My replacement mod doesn't show as conflicting with anything else and rightfully so – all it does is replace vanilla grass and the like when they're used, so for example with CC starts you'll get their custom textures.

brads3

i can get the pine forests with the pine above the NAt DIV and still have thatch,etc.probably 1 reason i stopped the BW mod a long time back.i use the seasonFX between the pine and ND mods to get the nicely plowed crop fields. with the ND and CC ,you do not get reeds.

i learned to use the minimize button on the mod list screeen to check what actually is conflicting. very handy to fine tune mod order. i did that with your dense forest mod to get it to say it works. strange part was i had to move it above the forever tree mod after i enabled the North.with the North off it showed "orange" which ment it would have worked below the forever tree mod.
     i do notice  your mod has affected the pine mod. NECORA had traps and several items set on a delay. they take a couple years before they grow or appear on the map. with the dense forest mod,that delay is gone.there is pine items on map from start. it is strange cause those aren't trees.

Voeille

That's indeed weird, the only explanation seems to be that that mod somehow uses those 3 numbers I changed in the forest mod.

Anyway, I shared the replacements here :)

angainor88

I like it! I will have to download for when I eventually stop playing vanilla