News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Is Vanilla your taste?

Started by kid1293, July 13, 2018, 09:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

It's huge but nice.
And more to the point - the vanilla apiary is the only building given to us from Luke.
It means - that building is the start of all buildings we do! I honor it!

...you can always place a few workplace beehives and get honey. Decorate with flowers
and you have your own unique apiary! :)

DesoPL

kid1293

Cheer up- I am glad you care. I just try to go away from too much to do. :)

BlueFireChelle

Loving this new take on the vanilla theme! I am always amazed by how great your models look and how quickly you can make them! Having tried my hand at Blender I am now eternally impressed by other people's skills.

kid1293

I have one question for you all. (wrong thread, but...)

What do you think about the added storage to my Tiny buildings?
@Yandersen did not stay long but it is a nice contribution.
But... some have trouble with bannies having to run all the way
out into the forest to get some food. Not good!

I am about to remove extra storage and make a workover on Tiny.

Input please. :)

schueler

The attached storages should maybe look more rustical and vintage and have a sloped roof, in my opinion.
But then they wouldn't quite fit the design of the main buildings...  Attaching them right to the building with a sloped "half-roof" would also be an option.

Right now - no offense - they look like oversized outdoor loos. ;)

galensgranny

@kid1293 , I did not know what you meant at first, but mentioning Yanderson made me realize you meant the added storage in Tiny V1.71, for the gatherer, forester, etc.

I like the idea that those buildings can also store what their employees gather.  There would have to be a storage area somewhere nearby those buildings anyway, so I don't see the problem.  Also, near my homes I have markets where the Bannies get food.  If some of them want to wander the map to some out lying storage building, well, they do weird things sometimes.

brads3

the storage option to the forest is handy.very glad that the forester will store many items as well as logs. if you and other modders pick up TOM's happiness influence more than a market out in the forest wikk be more important. with the set always being built in the trees,having storage saves players having to place buildings and piles.the less buildings needed the easier to line up and set them. before you added this and RED added the forester storage,the pine storage sged got used a lot.it is good to have more options now.

several of our modders have left that brought much unique improvements.they are greatly missed.they didn't just bring buildings but helped discover more to impact the game. speaking of which,how is PILGRIM?

Goblin Girl

I like the storage if and only if I have markets.  Though, the one that has seemed most problematic to me is the forester.  Typically when I build one, the first thing I do is clear the stone and iron from the circle.  Then it gets stored in the forester's building, which means they have to schlep their logs all the way to gown, or I have to set the building to be destroyed so the bannies will empty it.  Once the forest is cleared of stone and iron, the log storage isn't bad, but again, it's better with markets (and I love love love your log vendor!).

galensgranny

Kid, if you are going to be redoing the Tiny V1.71, would you consider having a well that does NOT attract nomads, along with the current well that does?  If you felt like adding a Tiny Tavern, that would be a great bonus.

galensgranny

Quote from: Goblin Girl on July 23, 2018, 12:51:52 PM
I like the storage if and only if I have markets.  Though, the one that has seemed most problematic to me is the forester.  Typically when I build one, the first thing I do is clear the stone and iron from the circle.  Then it gets stored in the forester's building, which means they have to schlep their logs all the way to gown, or I have to set the building to be destroyed so the bannies will empty it.  Once the forest is cleared of stone and iron, the log storage isn't bad, but again, it's better with markets (and I love love love your log vendor!).
GoblinGirl, I usually put a small general stockpile near where I want to clear the forest area, before I set down the forester building.  Then that amount of stone, if any, is not going in the forester storage.  Before there was any storage in the forester, gatherer, etc., we always had to have a stockpile nearby anyway, so it isn't very different, just saving space. 

Also, it is better that there is food available for the Bannies right there in the forest where they are working.  Otherwise, they will have to walk all the way to where ever to get something to eat and take longer to get back to work in their area.  Before we had these buildings that also stored items, didn't you always put some kind of storage barn nearby for the gatherers and hunters to put their products?

embx61

The whole no extra buildings in a forester circle is overstated IMHO.
It is maybe important for max numbers players who like  to squeeze that room for that 1 extra tree in the circle but for the regular Banished players not important.

I always place about 7 or 8 houses 4x4, a pile, a small market, and a small barn next to the gatherer, forester, hunter, herbalist, and woodcutter all in the circle and still enough trees for logging/gathering.
About all the professions used in the circle will occupy those houses soon with a laborer or two added to the mix.
It will lose room for trees but my bannies are very efficient because their house/market/pile is close by and they not have to walk out of the circle every time they have to get warm/get food/get supplies so that makes a lot up for the lost trees.

I never run into problems this way. Again, maybe I lose some logs a year then not having extra buildings in the circle but I can say it is not that bad according to all the maps I played so far with this setup.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

galensgranny

Quote from: embx61 on July 23, 2018, 02:00:09 PM
The whole no extra buildings in a forester circle is overstated IMHO.
It is maybe important for max numbers players who like  to squeeze that room for that 1 extra tree in the circle but for the regular Banished players not important.
Embx, I like the forest buildings to have storage because it makes no sense to have a large building that does nothing.  In real life, the buildings would of course have the forest pickings put there at first.  I don't care as much about saving space for more trees, just that I like things to be more logical and sensible.

embx61

I was not meaning you Granny but I read it many times also on other sites that it is bad practice to place extra buildings in a forester circle and have seen quite a few players believe it.
So I can see from their point of view the wasted space of some footprints like forester goes against the the above.
I just wrote it to let players know it is not a bad thing to place extra buildings in a circle because I do it every time without issues.

As for storage to the forester building. I am not against it but I personally have no use for it because a small barn in the circle will do just that and fits with my play style as I don't care about losing some trees for close by storage. :)
The wasted space from some Vanilla buildings is something I not worried about.
It is not perfect but not a game breaker either and Luke was just a bit lazy here to come up with a better solution I think.  :D

Now see if I can add storage to the Town Hall because technically it is wasted space too.  :P   :D  [ducking]
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

elemental

Another option is to use one of the foresters/herbalists/gatherers that have a larger circle. There there is plenty of room for housing in the forest community.