News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Into the Wild

Started by A Nonny Moose, September 07, 2014, 12:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salamander

There's seems to be more than one philosophy as far as story-telling.  Without saying that either is better than any other, I would like to see more of this particular story line, A Nonny Moose.

Bobbi

irrelevant

A Nonny Moose

Got to go out right now.  This will continue as long as my creative juices flow.  At the moment they are sporadic.  Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

This is fine work, A Nonny Moose. I hope your creative juices keep flowing.

A Nonny Moose

Glad you are enjoying it.  I have a lot on my plate today, so maybe a new bit tomorrow.

A Nonny Moose

A little more of the story.  This is getting complex as you will see.

The next morning Julia was looking smug and Geoff was looking sheepish. I gave both a greeting smile and went off to tend my nets.

Later in the day, Serpina presented Julia with a warm, beaded jacket of fine deer hide lined with milkweed silk. "Wonderful, thanks", Julia said. "Now, how is the leather supply? Winter is coming and new boots are likely needed. Do we have someone who could make lasts?"

"Well", Serpina said, "I guess you didn't share much last night. Geoff is a fine carpenter and does cabinet work around the settlement. Have a chat with him."

Julia headed for the farmstead looking for her man.

I found the nets were well filled with fish, and ready to be hauled, so I connected up the winch that Georgio had made for me, and hauled the catch up on the dock. We sorted and gutted the fish, disposed of the gutting pile and salted the catch down, then put it out to dry. I held out a dozen fresh fish for the night's meal to supplement the other foodstuffs that were coming in from the others.

Dash came into the salting shed and said, "Dad, I want to learn to read."

At six Dash was a fine strapping boy, and I certainly didn't want to hold him back. "How are your chores today, son?"

"Done."

"Well then, run along to Julia and ask her if she is ready for a student."

I thought, Poor girl, we won't be giving her a moment to catch her breath.

About an hour later, I saw Dash whittling on a plank he had begged from somewhere. "What are you doing?, I asked.

"Making a book cover", he said. "Julia wants me to keep everything I do bound up". I'll be using Birch bark for leaves until we can make something better. Georgio says he can help the women make ink. I have to make a pen, too".

"You know, Dad, that I've been looking at some of those water reeds and wondering if we can't make some kind of writing leaves out of them by weaving them together and beating them flat"

I went to see Julia myself. "Julia, is there an article in that encyclopedia about making papyrus?"

"Just a moment", she said. After a few minutes, she came back and said, "There is an article complete with drawings and specifications for using papyrus reeds to make paper of a sort. Why did you ask?"

"Something Dash said about the reeds by the shore. I hope this is not all first blush enthusiasm and that he will carry on with it. Maybe you could show him the article and explain it to him. It will encourage his want to read and learn."

"Don't worry too much about that boy. Haven't you noticed that he never forgets anything?"

"I sort of took it for granted because I am the same way."

Nilla

A new mod in development? Paper-maker!

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: Nilla on September 25, 2014, 05:58:03 PM
A new mod in development? Paper-maker!
It ain't necessarily so.  What if poor Dash fails to make anything worth writing on?

Necessity is the mother of invention.  I want to do something useful with these children other than following in the footsteps of their parents, which seem to have got them ostracized from society.  This is a top-down plot, so we'll all have to see where it goes.

A Nonny Moose

About a month later, I saw Dash moping around looking rather dejected. "Well, son, how is the writing project coming?", I asked.

"I've decided to abandon it", he said. "None of the results are satisfactory, and the ink just blots up on anything we've made so far. Besides, my sufaces dry up and crumble within a day or so."

"So the reeds around here are unsuitable. I'm sorry."

"it's not that.", he said. "I am trying to find out why you get a square set when you use a triangle that has sides three, four, and five."

"It's a law of nature", I said. "This has been known for generations."

"Yes, but why?". He wandered off looking thoughtful.

After I finished salting the catch, I wandered over to Geoff's place looking for Julia and found her softening some deer hide. "Julia", I said, "Does the encyclopedia say anything about triangles and square sets?

"Dash asked me the same question. All it says is that if the sides of the triangle are three, four and five, the side opposite the five-side will be a square set."

"Oh. Thanks." I went back to mending the nets.

A Nonny Moose

Over supper that night, Marta leaned towards me and murmured, "I saw you over at Geoff's today. Did Julia say anything out of the ordinary?"

"No. Why?"

"Say nothing as yet, but she told me she thinks she is with child"

"That was very quick. How do you think Leon will take being a grandpa?"

After another month went by, it became common knowledge that Geoff and Julia were expecting. There was a lot of badinage about the suspicious timing and everyone marked their calendars.

Sure enough, at the end of the winter, Julia was delivered safely of a beautiful baby girl. The time was nine and a half months after the hand fasting.

The rye crop had been good this year, and as we faced the spring planting, we were visited again by Leon who discovered he was now a proud grandpapa. I took him aside and asked if he had any writing materials he was willing to trade.

"Most surely" he said. He went aboard his bateau and returned with a pen, and ink block, and a large sheaf of parchment sheets. "Consider it a birthing gift to the town", he said.

irrelevant

Why of course 3-4-5 is a set square! Everyone knows that. It's because, uh.... Clearly it must be so, since.... Um.

Yes, why does a2 + b2 = c2? Well, it just does, okay?! ;)

A Nonny Moose

I am in a bit of a quandary as to whether this kid might develop Euclidean geometry or Affine.  The boy is a polymath, so he might not bother with either.  He might be an inventor instead.  He is the eldest child, but the others are getting older and need to come into the story more, as do some more immigrants.

A Nonny Moose

In response to the request for more soap, here is some more material.

"Now, Leon, let's see what we can do in trade", I said. "We have a stock of tools and wooden ware, as well as some packets of rye flour, and rye seed. We also have more of those beaded leather jackets and some trews that you might find a market for in the towns outside. Hunting has been good. We also have venison jerky that might do well with hunters and travellers. Come over to our storehouse, and see how industrious we've been over the last period."

On the way over to the storehouse, we ran into Geoff, who was carrying some cabinets to place there.

"Hello, Father Leon", he said. "I hope you don't mind if I call you that, since you are the grandfather of Lisa"

"No, not at all. How is she doing?"

"When you've finished your business, drop over to our place for supper and you'll see what a going concern she is becoming. Is John with you? He should meet his niece."

The three of us entered the storehouse, and Leon agreed to dinner and said he would bring John along.

We helped Leon select goods he would take in trade and I was pleased to note he took several pieces of furniture and cabinets made by Geoff. He also took some hammers, a few scythes, and some steel knives that had Georgio's mark on them together with several sacks of rye flour and some rye seed packs. He then selected several suits of leather. "Come down to the landing and we'll see what you'll take in trade for all this", Leon said.

Walking down to the landing, we encountered Walter and Juliana coming up from the docks. Juliana gave Leon a hug and said, "There you are, you old rake. Are you ever going to settle down?"

Leon looked both surprised and gratified. "Juliana! I didn't know you had settled here with Walt. It is good to see you again."

"I was sorry to hear that Maribell had passed, Leon. Don't be alone. Come see us when you are in the area.", Walt said.

"Turning to me, Walt said "You wouldn't have known but Leon is the godfather of our Vicki. Small world after all."

"I'll tell Julia to set some extra places for dinner tonight.", Geoff said. "Come along for dinner and bring Victoria"

"We'll be there" said Walter. "It will knit some family ties" Walter and Juliana continued on whatever errand they were on, and we continued to the bateau. John was aboard, keeping watch as usual.

"Ahoy, John", called Leon. "Put out the gang plank, we've got trading to do"

"Aye, Father". answered John putting out a broad gangway with safety stanchions and lines. We went aboard and down into the cargo hold.

Leon had a good supply of wares that would be useful to the settlement, and we bargained for a while, settling finally on some preserves and some seeds for apples and wheat, as well as some barrels of wheat flour. And, finally, a packet of yeast.

"The women will be well pleased with the flour and yeast. We haven't had yeast bread since we were banished from the last town." I said with glee. "Let me find some people to help move this stuff then you can John can get ready for supper.

Bobbi

Yes, Rye seeds, that's what we need. I love a good rye bread. Thanks for keeping up the story!