News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

rkelly17: Fingen: Testing Mods

Started by rkelly17, October 15, 2014, 01:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Welcome to the settlement of Fingen.

This is a town I have just started to test out the recent output of mods, especially by two of my favorite modders, @RedKetchup and @slink. The mods will appear as the town reaches appropriate levels of development.

The first picture is the map information. I'm using the original version of the NewMaps mod by TheChucklesStart to get a large, flat valley.

Mods in play are:

by @RedKetchup:
Adriana's College 1.0
Jamie's Monastery Alpha 1.0
Balanced Apiary 1.0
Bobbi Special DoctorHouse 1.0
Decorative Items Pack 1.3
Little Chapel 1.0
Steph's Grain Silos 1.0
Warehouse Inc. 1.0

by @slink (SJGL):
Slink's Snug House 0
Immortal Trees Override 1.0
SJGL Small Markets 2.3
Slink's Brewery 1.0
(Slink's No More Seeds to be added when all seeds acquired)

Others:
Better Fields 3.0 by @rageingnonsense
New Maps 1.0 by TheChucklesStart (I think this is up to version 4 but I find version 1 sufficient and stable)
Smaller Vendor Buildings 4.0 by Elfecutioner with graphics by @RedKetchup
The Fountain Mod Lite 1.51 by Cosacks (Mathieuso Art) (This is up to 1.52 at least, but versions beyond 1.51 have so far added things I don't want).

We first encounter Fingen in the Early Autumn of its eighth year. The two initial villages have made it beyond the initial stage during which mere survival is the primary goal. (2nd Picture: Map and basic info). 16 Banished citizens decided to settle on a lake shore in the valley of the Fingen River. They brought with them seeds for corn and plums, so the first thing they did was plant two corn fields. Then they sent builders off into the forest to establish a gatherers' hut, a woodcutter, a hunting cabin and a foresters' lodge. Then they set about building houses for themselves, two for farmers and four at the forest village. When these were finished they cut more logs, gathered more stone and iron and built a blacksmith and school near the farm. By this point enough of the original citizens had become adults that they could build two more houses and a tailor's shop. With this the basic needs of the community could be served. As children born in the valley became adults more houses were built and a general store and small chapel with a cemetery were added. They built a second farm to grow more corn. Finally they could produce enough surplus firewood that it was sensible to build a trading post. While they gathered firewood in the trading post they also built two pastures, knowing that soon they would need to introduce livestock to make their lives better. The first merchant to land at their dock brought sheep to trade (after a little convincing  ;) ), and so one pasture was put to use almost immediately.

The third picture is the main part of Fingen from the lakefront. The road that disappears into the forest leads to West Fingen, the forest village. The fourth picture shows the village from the South. You can see that the citizens have bigger plans since they built a highway leading North. They hope that in the not to distant future they can build a larger town center as the administrative center for the region to the North of the current village.

The fifth picture is from West Fingen looking East toward Fingen. The sixth picture gives an overall aerial view of both villages.

We don't often think of the citizens of a Banished settlement as having hobbies, since they seem to work from the day they graduate until the day they die (except for the idling, of course  ;D ). But the last picture clearly shows that the vendor at the general store is an amateur astronomer and has built herself a telescope and observatory on the top of the store from which she can observe the stars and planets at night. Maybe it is her studies which enable the citizens to know when the seasons change and when to plant and harvest.

As you can see, not many mods in play yet: Better fields, Immortal orchards, general store and small chapel. These are the mods that seem appropriate for this stage of the valley's development, but there are certainly more to come.

Nilla

Nice!
On which building is that telescope?

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on October 15, 2014, 02:08:24 PM
Nice!
On which building is that telescope?

It's from the general store in Smaller Vendor Buildings 4.0 by Elfecutioner with graphics by @RedKetchup. I'm not sure how @RedKetchup came up with it. Maybe he will enlighten us.

RedKetchup

it s a building already made and i downloaded from internet (same place slink taking her buildings) it was an alchemy lab i transfered into general store.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 15, 2014, 02:51:18 PM
it s a building already made and i downloaded from internet (same place slink taking her buildings) it was an alchemy lab i transfered into general store.

It is a nice building, and this was the first time I zoomed in close enough to notice the telescope. Fun!

rkelly17

Fingen: Year 15

Since our last installment the citizens of Fingen County have been busy developing their settlements. The first picture is the Town Hall Overview window.

The second picture shows the new county center and Town Hall Square as it is being developed. There are the Town Hall, a large neo-Gothic church, a new college, three shops which supply the citizens' needs and three houses. In the background you can see the hospital. The citizens are hard at work beautifying the plaza and the town hall grounds, having already built three fountains and now at work planting trees and hedges. They are also planning some wells and many benches where weary workers can rest. The new "downtown will be called Fingen Center and the original village will be called Fingen South.

In order to finance all of these improvements the county council wants to increase trade. A trader arrived with pepper and cabbage seeds and after trading firewood for these seeds the council realized that, with population growth, they weren't producing enough firewood to create any surplus. As a result they decided to develop a second forest village. It will be called Westcreek and is shown in the third picture.

That picture also shows the new herbalist's cabin and home in between the two forest villages. The herbalist and her partner built a nice, snug cottage across the road from the workplace and that is in picture 4. The fifth picture shows the shops along the south side of Town Hall Square.

The new buildings in these pictures are @slink's small markets and snug houses and @RedKetchup's college, trees, founatins and statues along with cosacks medium stone houses, hedges and medium fountain.

One note on cosack's medium stone houses. They initially ask for 10 or 12 builders--if you use them make sure you turn that down to 2 or they will suck up all the builders for themselves. The hedges and medium fountain don't indicate in the build window how many builders they want, but it seems that the fountain wants 5 and the hedge pieces 1 or 2 each. These numbers can't be changed.

Pangaea

Looks good, and I particularly like the overview shot with all the forest :)

rkelly17

Quote from: Pangaea on October 16, 2014, 12:09:12 PM
Looks good, and I particularly like the overview shot with all the forest :)

Thank you. The forest does look nice, doesn't it.

I've started placing herbalists between two forest villages, right at the point where the two hunters' circles touch. Who knows whether it works better, but it looks nice. Before @RedKetchup so kindly supplied the DoctorHouse mod I was building my forest villages around the outer edge of the valley with a herbalist between and putting the hospitals next to the mountains behind the herbalists. Now with stone fences and no idlers the hospitals have moved back into town.  :D

rkelly17

Fingen: Year 25

Since Our last installment the citizens have been focused on three projects: Finishing the landscaping of Town Hall Square, bringing food production up and creating more trade.

The first picture summarizes the situation: 138 citizens, 68 "families" and 47 houses. Year 16 revealed a small food production shortage, so the citizens got to work on a new farm just West of Town Hall Square. A group of 8 nomads was taken in about year 20 and an outbreak of mumps followed (a child of a couple who had been born and raised  in Fingen). The young lady got to the hospital without infecting anyone and she was the only one who got sick. You can see from the professions listed that fish and honey have been added to the food producing operations more recently.

The second picture shows the progress on Town Hall Square. The only thing left to add is the library.

The third picture is the new village of Riverbend. It is being developed to be a trading and industrial center for the county. There are docks planned along the river front (two already built) along with cherry orchards and a tavern producing cherry ale for export. To serve the residents of Riverbend a school is already built and a small chapel and library will be added. You can see the fishing dock where the river broke through to create Fingen Lake. The apiary is on the north side of the orchards where the bees find plenty of nectar and the orchardists get their cherry trees pollinated. Cherry ale production has just begun and so far one trading post is getting stocked with ale.

The fourth picture shows a new farm (the one in the rear) and brewery. In Late Spring a merchant brought wheat seeds to trade. Even though it was too late to get the seeds in the ground for this year, the citizens built the farm and brewery in anticipation of next year's wheat harvest. BY this time next year we should see some nice Hefeweizen going into kegs for use during the Winter. Maybe Fingen will have an Oktoberfest next Autumn. In the background you can see the cattle herd that has been added since year 15. At the moment there is plenty of leather and wool and everyone can have a nice warm coat in the Winter. The citizens tend to build their pastures 16 wide by 25 high rather than 20 X 20 (thanks to Better Fields).

Development remains pretty close to the center of the valley. As population increases and ale production ramps up the citizens will need to develop further from the center, so they are planning ahead for the road system that will keep everything moving. So far surface stone and iron are sufficient for immediate needs, but the laborers are having to go a bit further afield. Hopefully there will soon be enough ale to trade for what is needed for construction and tools.

Nilla

QuoteThe fourth picture shows a new farm (the one in the rear) and brewery. In Late Spring a merchant brought wheat seeds to trade. Even though it was too late to get the seeds in the ground for this year, the citizens built the farm and brewery in anticipation of next year's wheat harvest. BY this time next year we should see some nice Hefeweizen going into kegs for use during the Winter. Maybe Fingen will have an Oktoberfest next Autumn. In the background you can see the cattle herd that has been added since year 15. At the moment there is plenty of leather and wool and everyone can have a nice warm coat in the Winter. The citizens tend to build their pastures 16 wide by 25 high rather than 20 X 20 (thanks to Better Fields).

Glad to hear that, I lived in the Munich area for 15 years (original Oktoberfest!) But I am sorry to say, even if Weissbier is very popular in Bavaria, it's the original "Wasser Malz Hopfen - Reinheitsgebot- Bier" that counts. ;) and I haven't seen any barley for malt or any hops in Banished yet. But I suppose it is a matter of time. ;)

rkelly17

Fingen, Year 35

The first two pictures give the summary.

Not long after the last installment a group of Trappist monks looking for a new home appeared in the valley and asked whether they could build a monastery there. The citizens found an appropriate spot and told them to go ahead. As it happens that spot was right across from the brewery which the citizens had built from some plans someone bought through a mail order catalog but which no one knew how to work. The monks just happened to be from a monastery with a long tradition of brewing, so they offered to take over. Their beer recipe was for wheat beer, so they also grew the wheat. The citizens had no hop seeds, but some of the valley's herbs provided a nice bittering agent and the community was soon enjoying the efforts of the monks. The monks also knew how to make books which, it turned out, the merchants who visited the valley valued quite highly. All in all, allowing the monks to build a monastery was one of the wisest decisions the citizens ever made. The monastery and environs are in the third picture. The community discovered after about five years of beer-making that the supply of herbs needed was more than one herbalist could supply, so one or two new herbalists' cabins need to be built. The graph in the fourth picture tells the story.

The building of the monastery led to new development West of Fingen Center where a new market town has grown up. The citizens started calling it Westerville and that name has stuck. It includes cherry orchards and a tavern for making export ale, two new farms, a school, woodcutter, blacksmith and tailor. In addition an innkeeper set up shop to accommodate nomads and travelers. All this is shown in the fifth picture.

The other are where there has been further development in the past decade is in the Riverbend area south of lake and river. Riverbend has built out to the East to include a second market square, more cherry orchards, new taverns, new trading posts and new pastures. The citizens finally decided that it would be a good investment to purchase a flock of chickens and they decided to double their cattle herd and sheep flock at the same time. This is shown in the sixth picture.

This will be the last installment on Fingen. People continue coming out with improved versions of the mods I'm already using and new mods that are just too good to be passed up (I'm looking at you @RedKetchup and @slink  ;D ), so Fingen has outlived its usefulness. Yet another valley will be settled before tomorrow.

RedKetchup

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 19, 2014, 06:29:58 PM
hehehe poor @rkelly17 ^^ we are hard with you ^^

I suppose you could say it's my own fault for wanting to use them--but, seriously, who can pass up two-story houses?

RedKetchup