News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Awright, what's the matter with orchards?

Started by A Nonny Moose, November 07, 2014, 10:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

Orchards are lumped in with the farm hands, but whenever you lay one down you get what appears to be a separate demand for personnel.  Is this a bug?

Today, with a well attended set of farms, I added a second orchard which simply presented the no-workers symbol even after I added farm hands.  It was showing 0 of 1 all the time.  I normally run my farms somewhat short-handed, and have found they will run with about 50% bannies, but orchards throw a wrench into this.  Grrrr!
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

slink

Have you got some farm set at more workers than you expected to be using?

A Nonny Moose

No.  I generally under-staff farms by about 50% because I make 15 x 15 farms which always demand 4 bannies, which is utter nonsense.

slink

I have no idea what could be going wrong for you.  My orchards are using farmers in the new version of the program, just like always.  Even newly built orchards are doing so.  Are you using any mods?

irrelevant

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on November 07, 2014, 10:32:26 AM
Orchards are lumped in with the farm hands, but whenever you lay one down you get what appears to be a separate demand for personnel.  Is this a bug?

Today, with a well attended set of farms, I added a second orchard which simply presented the no-workers symbol even after I added farm hands.  It was showing 0 of 1 all the time.  I normally run my farms somewhat short-handed, and have found they will run with about 50% bannies, but orchards throw a wrench into this.  Grrrr!
So is each of your farms' demand lowered to the number that you want to use? For example, if you have an 8x15 farm, do you have that farm set for 2 of 2, or is it set for 2 of 3? Make sure all your farms are set to exactly the number of farmers you are using on each one.

Mahnogard

The only time I've had this happen is when I've either forgotten to lower a limit elsewhere, or if I've forgotten to choose the orchard type before assigning workers.

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: irrelevant on November 07, 2014, 12:26:16 PM
<snip>
So is each of your farms' demand lowered to the number that you want to use? For example, if you have an 8x15 farm, do you have that farm set for 2 of 2, or is it set for 2 of 3? Make sure all your farms are set to exactly the number of farmers you are using on each one.

Aha!  No, I've been using default settings.  That never occurred to me.  Thanks.  This is probably why things get upwhacked.  I'll try it.

rkelly17

Quote from: Mahnogard on November 07, 2014, 12:34:31 PM
The only time I've had this happen is when I've either forgotten to lower a limit elsewhere, or if I've forgotten to choose the orchard type before assigning workers.

Same here. It happens to me most often when I first finish a market or trading post. The game will pull people from the sites I've already lowered to 2 or 3 into the new one that is still listed for 12 or 6 and leave some of the others without staff. In this case it appears to be taking the one new farmer into one of the older fields or orchards which has a higher requirement than the new one. I learned the hard way that I have to lower the number of workers asked for in the counter to the left.

smartfarmer

I stick to 8x15 farms and 4x15 orchards, each with 1 farmer if the farmer is educated, has a very close storage and a house. Otherwise, I use 2 farmers, orchards are just fine with 1 farmer. As per cattle I use 20x20 fields with 1 herdsman.
My current game has 16 farms (32 farmers to get unemployment down) and 18 orchards for a total of 50 farmers at a ridiculous 50,000+ units of food for about 250 citizens. Of course, I am running my mod Plains as shown here.