News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Promoting Seed Availability from Traders?

Started by TheOtherRick, December 10, 2014, 06:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOtherRick

I have only played the game on Hard setting, never Medium or Easy. Therefore I always rely on getting seeds from Traders to start farming. My current settlement has had to start its third Gatherer's Hut to keep up with what I desire for a food surplus because I have yet to see any seeds for trade when the barge arrives. Can seed availability be promoted somehow? Will the trading barge be more likely to have seeds if I place a crop field in my settlement? Or is it totally random?

irrelevant

It's random. The only way to increase the probability of getting seeds is to build more TPs. Each one will get a merchant yearly.

Also there is a mod available that allows you to build specialized TPs; each TP will always get just one type of merchant.

tomplum68

I just had a similar problem myself where I was outgrowing two forest nodes after 14 years(started on hard also).  Building a second trading port was problematic due to lack of stone in the area (80 can be a lot).  I've just started another game with the trading post mod that I just discovered yesterday and was reference above.  Of course the new map I started has an incredible amount of stone and iron near my starting spot so the circumstance is totally different but I built the seed/livestock trading post first.  Should really get things flying out of the gates.  I feel like I'm cheating but why couldn't you realistically dictate what type of goods you wish to purchase.

You can also save the game after the merchant spawns and before he docks and then if you don't get seeds, reload the save and a different merchant may show up.  I haven't done this myself but per other posts it is a fact.

rkelly17

Quote from: tomplum68 on December 10, 2014, 08:16:23 AM
You can also save the game after the merchant spawns and before he docks and then if you don't get seeds, reload the save and a different merchant may show up.  I haven't done this myself but per other posts it is a fact.

Indeed. I generally use this trick on Hard starts. Make sure you have at least 625 units of firewood to trade (seed merchants are picky) and then watch the river just upstream from your dock area. When the merchant comes into view pause the game and save. Unpause and see what you get. If it is not to your liking load the save and try again. Sometimes it takes awhile to get what you want. You can tell if you let the merchant get too close because you'll get the same thing over and over.

The alternative is to use @JamieIdle2.0's specialized TP mod. In that case build a seed and livestock TP and fill it with firewood. When the first one has 1875 firewood (enough for three seeds or a herd of livestock) build a second and get twice the merchants. You might want to use the reload trick even with those because on hard your biggest need is grains (corn or wheat).

If you mainly need food a quicker way to get food is to build a fishing dock--if possible on a good spot that maximizes the water inside the circle. If your people have really low health because of no grains, then an apiary (mod) will help provide a universal food. I use @RedKetchup's version.

TheOtherRick

Thanks for the replies. I was REALLY hoping that it was not random...that the game looked for circumstances when determining trade barge cargo. But, oh well. I really don't see myself doing the save and reload option...too much hassle and a crap shoot at best. Looks like the specialized TP with a seeds/livestock TP going up first might be the road to go.

On a separate, but not totally unrelated question, what is the purpose of the "Purchase" tab in the Trading Post UI window. It has slots to set limits of some kind for items, but what are they for? There is no currency in the game...so I don't understand the need for a "purchase".

tomplum68

thats auto trading.  it will use whatever you have stocked in your tp to reach the limit you set to purchase.

TheOtherRick

AH! Ok then. I had "auto-trading" confused with "ordering" goods from the trader. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

rkelly17

Quote from: TheOtherRick on December 10, 2014, 11:59:33 AM
AH! Ok then. I had "auto-trading" confused with "ordering" goods from the trader. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Sometimes I use both together. I "order" two items from a merchant. The merchant will bring LOTS of those items, so I set "purchase" to the numbers I actually want and let auto-trade handle the details.