News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Gopher Prairie: extreme tenure, 10,000 years

Started by irrelevant, December 23, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Most of the changes I have made/am making here are in response to my discovery that only the highest trade value (TV) item in the TPs ever gets traded away in auto-trading. So even though I was putting mutton, vension, wool, leather, coats, and mushrooms in my TPs, the only stuff that ever got traded away was ale and firewood. I was having to do a considerable amount of manual trading to get rid of the other stuff, and manual trading is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

So now I am basically down to trading just ale and firewood. I'm going to need to refine what stocks of each I have in each of my 12 active TPs, so that some TPs have a higher TV of firewood, and the rest have a higher TV of ale. It will take some fussing around to get this balanced so that the appropriate amount of firewood is getting traded away. Right now my ale production is maxed out because I trade it all away, but firewood production is very inefficient as it keeps getting shut off by hitting the inventory limit.

I can't just go ahead and raise the limit indefinitely because there are only so many stockpiles, even on a large map. 

irrelevant

Year 2369

Ran unattended overnight. The pop curve swung much lower, looks like it's in a two-phase variation again, one moderate cycle followed by a severe one. Lost 130 professionals including many farmers, to the point where food production didn't keep up. This won't do!  ;)

Filled all the vacancies and added back 2 gatherers per hut, until I get the food back up to 800k or so.

Previously when I had a two-phase cycle like this, I found that accepting nomads on the down curve helped regularize the pattern. I'll probably try this again.

Also all but ran out of iron. Iron/tool strategy needs some work.

brads3

with that many laborers i am surprised it would drop the population to the point of starvation.i wonder if a 1:1 age mod would actually solve this. the world will never know cause nobody will run a game as far.lol

irrelevant

Year 2397

Dude.

Working on creating new families near the top of the curve, using fake demos.

Quote from: brads3 on November 11, 2017, 04:12:43 PM
with that many laborers i am surprised it would drop the population to the point of starvation.i wonder if a 1:1 age mod would actually solve this. the world will never know cause nobody will run a game as far.lol

As long as the curve is swinging like it is, hundreds of laborers can die in just a few years with very few replacements.

Hoping for a band of nomads in the next couple of years, that's what I need to give this pop curve a nice kick.

irrelevant

Year 2399

And there ya go.

Hope it's not smallpox.

Typhus. Not great, could be worse.

How do homeless people decide which hospital to go to?

Got up to 17 sick guys; I was able to stop it by jumping on each new case and firing him from his job. When you do that they go straight to the hospital. Nothing you can do about children, students, and laborers of course, but you can do what you can do.

And hard on the heels comes dysentery, not so bad.

That one got up to 4.

I'd take another band of nomads in the next 5-6 years. Want to slam this pop curve hard.

Still year 2399. Influenza. The mildest disease.

Stopped at patient zero.

Early Spring 2400. Mumps. Lowest chance of transmission of all diseases. But it's an idling child, the worst. Lucky break, he fell ill near his home, which was near a hospital. Stopped at patient zero.

Summer 2400, looks like that's it for now. I did identify a weakness in my hospital arrangements, and am building one more.

Nomads can be useful, but they certainly are filthy!

Be sure to check out the "Diseases" thread: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=357.msg4517#msg4517

brads3

yikes,huh. wonder if those diseases is what has been affecting your population swings before? never even thought about that side. according to SLINK's chart, you should have a third of the working adults set to laborers as insurance.then no matter what disease occurs,you wouldn't lose a assigned worker. that is a huge amount.

irrelevant

Quote from: brads3 on November 15, 2017, 04:49:38 AM
yikes,huh. wonder if those diseases is what has been affecting your population swings before? never even thought about that side. according to SLINK's chart, you should have a third of the working adults set to laborers as insurance.then no matter what disease occurs,you wouldn't lose a assigned worker. that is a huge amount.
Pretty sure not. It would show up as a nearly vertical drop in the 100-year pop curve.

None of my guys died because of these disease outbreaks. Unless you get one of the really nasty ones (Plague, 33%, Cholera 25%, Smallpox 20%), only a very small % will be fatal.

When you do get a disease outbreak, it will be Plague only 1% of the time.

irrelevant

Another band of nomads came in 2402. This time only 104 of them.

Was not expecting more so soon, still have more families than houses. If it was a larger group I'd take them, but this small lot is not worth chasing down sick guys for the next year over.

irrelevant

Year 2406

Took a band of nomads near the bottom of the pop curve. Got 6 disease outbreaks in less than 2 years. ::)

Okay, and now, back to running unattended. :)

pappa

irrelevant

@pappa  it's a fun town to play around with.

Year 2436 - woke up this morning to a food crisis. I have no idea what happened; there was no die-off of farmers, all farms were fully-staffed. Took several hours of manual trading and fiddling around with food producers to get it turned around. Fortunately I had ~80k food banked in my four landlocked TPs.

Have 80@ 15x4 orchards, something I rarely use. My main problem with them is that even these small ones need two farmers each to produce full harvests. With a single farmer they get maybe 60%.

The pop curve is in uncharted territory. I'm not building more housing or accepting more nomads until is settles down into something more regular. Makes it tough to let it run AFK (away from keyboard) but I'm going to do it overnight again tonight anyway.

brads3

let me guess you ran a dictatorship and stole the food with taxes and traded it for gold? LOL. did your bannies waunder off to join  a church or cemetary and not get back to the fields in time? that is a huge drop off. my orchards with 1 worker at 10x10 produce as much as a normal crop field. ohh wait i have a forget about orchard mod so i don't have to prune them all the time. that may be why you need 2 workers.

irrelevant

Quote from: brads3 on November 18, 2017, 06:55:52 PM
let me guess you ran a dictatorship and stole the food with taxes and traded it for gold? LOL. did your bannies waunder off to join  a church or cemetary and not get back to the fields in time? that is a huge drop off. my orchards with 1 worker at 10x10 produce as much as a normal crop field. ohh wait i have a forget about orchard mod so i don't have to prune them all the time. that may be why you need 2 workers.
@brads3  I don't know what those guys get up to down there ;)  Yeah, very little in the way of mods in this town.

Year 2464

Woke up to this; now that's looking promising.

irrelevant

One of the mods I'm using is Bobbi's Special Doctor House, which supposedly has removed the happiness radius from the Hospitals, but my hospitals still seem to be idiot-magnets. :o >:(

RedKetchup

did you added Bobbi doctor house before or after you built the hospital ? like for example, the hospital was originally built while not using any mods.... and then later you added the mod ? maybe you need to destroy it and rebuild
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .