News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

TradingPost Sync Button

Started by Trizeropz, March 17, 2015, 03:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Quote from: Trizeropz on March 18, 2015, 07:24:19 AM
i have exact 2870 pop and they need 312 986 food/year. why do i have so much more than your calculation? which is it dependent if they need more?
If you are making ale the fruit/berries/wheat input counts as food used also.

rkelly17

Quote from: Brathaehnchen on March 17, 2015, 07:53:34 PM
Quote from: Trizeropz on March 17, 2015, 03:04:54 PMif you build a big city with lots of trading posts

Do you need so many trading posts?  :o
I need a maximum of 4 pcs. With the Mod  Specialized Trading Posts that works pretty simple.
Or have I now understood that all wrong, it's also 4 clock in the morning.  ::)

My experience with Specialized Trading Posts is that you need fewer TPs than if you are using vanilla TPs, especially if you place orders. My experience has been only up to 500 citizens so far, so things may go differently as the population goes higher. I also trade almost exclusively for stone and iron (sometimes logs) and produce all my own food, so I just have one food TP for years when I run a deficit. At t huge populations when you need massive amounts of food and can't grow it all, you would need enough food TPs to bring in enough food.

Rayden

My town it's around 1500 pop and I only use two TPs mostly for logs and some extra cheap food and some times for some tools. The rest it's produced locally.

rkelly17

Quote from: Rayden on March 18, 2015, 09:57:09 AM
My town it's around 1500 pop and I only use two TPs mostly for logs and some extra cheap food and some times for some tools. The rest it's produced locally.

Yeah, I trade primarily because I've decided that quarries and mines are not aesthetically pleasing. I'm content to let somebody off in whichever place the merchants come from put up with all the deaths and a valley blighted by used up quarries and mines and trade their iron for my ale.  ;D

In the early days of Banished some people built unbelievable trading empires where the rivers were side-by-side TPs from one end of the map to the other. @nmid, who hasn't been heard from in a long time, was one of the masters of this technique.

We also at one point had a trading challenge (http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=270.0). My humble effort is recorded here: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=281.0

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on March 18, 2015, 05:48:25 AM
Quote from: Nilla on March 18, 2015, 03:48:59 AM
If you want a really big population, you will not get along without a lot of trading ports, even with the specialized from Jamie.

@Nilla funny that you should say this. I'm thinking of starting a new town which would have no TPs and no schools.  ;)

I said really big, didn't I? As you might remember, I played my no-trading-game with 2100 (?) inhabitants on a medium map. And there was a lot of struggle. I suppose you could get 3000 on a big map, but not much more - OK that's big, but not really big, Mr 6000. ;)

salamander

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 17, 2015, 09:22:09 PM
Quote from: salamander on March 17, 2015, 06:48:11 PM
That is a good idea.  Since it seems the game's still beta, maybe the dev would still be willing to take suggestions.
it is even totally done . he is only porting it to linux/mac and thats all.

for us : he will never touch it again, he is passing to other things. he has 3-4 ideas... will start to code them and the one he will be the most excited.... he will make that one.

That's disappointing.  And, although I don't mean to argue with you, Steam still shows my game with a 'beta' tag.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on March 18, 2015, 11:42:48 AM
Quote from: irrelevant on March 18, 2015, 05:48:25 AM
Quote from: Nilla on March 18, 2015, 03:48:59 AM
If you want a really big population, you will not get along without a lot of trading ports, even with the specialized from Jamie.

@Nilla funny that you should say this. I'm thinking of starting a new town which would have no TPs and no schools.  ;)

I said really big, didn't I? As you might remember, I played my no-trading-game with 2100 (?) inhabitants on a medium map. And there was a lot of struggle. I suppose you could get 3000 on a big map, but not much more - OK that's big, but not really big, Mr 6000. ;)

;D ;D I think if I get to 2100 I'll be lucky. You definitely are more crafty than I am, the only advantage I have is my willingness to sit here and struggle with the AI.  ;D ;D

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on March 18, 2015, 08:07:22 PM

;D ;D I think if I get to 2100 I'll be lucky. You definitely are more crafty than I am, the only advantage I have is my willingness to sit here and struggle with the AI.  ;D ;D

I suppose you´re right, but just because of the uneducated punishment. It will be very hard to reach a high population. I wish you luck!

Bobbi

QuoteIn the early days of Banished some people built unbelievable trading empires where the rivers were side-by-side TPs from one end of the map to the other. @nmid, who hasn't been heard from in a long time, was one of the masters of this technique.

Trading challenge was fun. I won in two categories (preens). Never before or since have I had so many trading posts! Mostly I try to have as few as possible. All that micromanagement...and I am not sure if it really increases the lag, or if that is all in my head.

rkelly17

Quote from: Bobbi on March 19, 2015, 06:06:53 PM
[Trading challenge was fun. I won in two categories (preens). Never before or since have I had so many trading posts! Mostly I try to have as few as possible. All that micromanagement...and I am not sure if it really increases the lag, or if that is all in my head.

Yes, yes you did, and the preening is well-earned. I don't think that TPs adding to lag is just in your head. On several towns before the specialized TP mod where I was building a lot of TPs I notice the slow-down first on the river as the merchant boats started going much more slowly. So, it may not be the TPs themselves, but the merchants they spawn likely begins to take major computing resources.

irrelevant

Merchant-induced lag is real. Even over pop 5000 lag was manageable at 2X or even at 5X if I wasn't needing to do lots of scrolling around, until the merchant boats came on (I had all 31 of them herded together so they all were arriving within a couple of months). Then it really bogged down, and the lag became nearly unbearable while the boats were on their way to the TPs. Scrolling was nearly impossible.

Interestingly, the merchant lag only lasted while they were approaching the TPs. Once they all were docked, the lag went away. It was like they ceased to exist once they were at the TPs. After they were dismissed (all together in one go) and while they were on their way off the map, there was no merchant-associated lag at all.

Bobbi

Interesting observation that only the arrival causes lag. Good to know it wasn't all in my head  ;D

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on March 23, 2015, 11:40:11 AM
Merchant-induced lag is real. Even over pop 5000 lag was manageable at 2X or even at 5X if I wasn't needing to do lots of scrolling around, until the merchant boats came on (I had all 31 of them herded together so they all were arriving within a couple of months). Then it really bogged down, and the lag became nearly unbearable while the boats were on their way to the TPs. Scrolling was nearly impossible.

Interestingly, the merchant lag only lasted while they were approaching the TPs. Once they all were docked, the lag went away. It was like they ceased to exist once they were at the TPs. After they were dismissed (all together in one go) and while they were on their way off the map, there was no merchant-associated lag at all.

I wonder whether this is related to the decision that has to be made regarding which merchant and how much of which goods. @slink's research indicated that the game does not make this decision until not long before the merchant lands. Even a glorious deity like the mighty RNG might need some time to think.   ;D