News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Draw Bridge

Started by Paeng, May 04, 2015, 01:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paeng

With waterway traffic becoming denser, soon the vanilla bridges will prevent barges and ships passing (or at least look hardly credible)... We should have a draw bridge to open those passages (even as just eye candy, for appearance's sake)... I kinda fancy the first model, as seen by VanGogh...  ;)

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

rkelly17

Quote from: Paeng on May 04, 2015, 01:16:09 PM
With waterway traffic becoming denser, soon the vanilla bridges will prevent barges and ships passing (or at least look hardly credible)... We should have a draw bridge to open those passages (even as just eye candy, for appearance's sake)... I kinda fancy the first model, as seen by VanGogh...  ;)

To be annoyingly technical, 232ny.jpg is a swing bridge, not a draw bridge. It pivots on center to let boats pass by on either side. There are several of these on older canals around here and railroads in North America used them in some key locations. The bridge in 007cityisland02.jpg might also be a swing bridge. Zouch-canal.jpg might be a lift bridge where the center section lifts up rather than opens like a draw bridge--it's a little hard to tell from the drawing. I'm not sure whether either lift bridges or swing bridges were used in the middle ages, though the technology is no more complicated than a draw bridge. The advantage of the swing bridge is that it doesn't need the tall towers on either side of the opening which the draw and lift bridges require.

The point of any bridge that opens is to let ships that are taller than the bridge pass through. Since Banished merchants can plow through mud, bridge abutments, trading post docks and fishing docks with no problem, we could probably throw up anything cheap and get by.  ;D

paralias

Paeng

Quote from: paralias on May 05, 2015, 02:41:59 PMbut if you haven't @ShockPuppet

Oh, sure I've seen this (being a smallish part of the Black Liquid team) - actually I suggested it already quite some time ago, but it's only now that the guys picked up on it (just when I thought to also suggest it to RedK)... sorry for the doubler  ;D ... but who knows, we might end up with different designs  ;)

Quotea swing bridge

yeah, that's why I threw it in there, as a design alternative...

As for not needing it - well, I for one am bugged by the lack of it... I can live with some "make believe eye-candy" much better than with ships and barges (of which there will be more varieties soon) that are obviously locked in by no-draw-no-swivel-bridges <shrug> ... It's all about imagination, I guess.

RedKetchup

a problem with draw bridge we cannot add animations to building so any bridge need to be 'graphically' set to let citizens to pass. so what the matters to be a 'draw' bridge if we cannot 'draw' it back?

in reality, what you are asking is bridges that are way higher in the air over the river to let 'graphically' pass bigger boats, no ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

nice bridges :)

very graphically complexe :)

so thats the ones that will come with 1.4 ?

ShockPuppet

Yes those are in for 1.4 :)

rkelly17

Quote from: Paeng on May 05, 2015, 05:13:21 PM
... It's all about imagination, I guess.

Indeed! I just get bugged a bit by boats doing things that boats ought not do. Maybe someday there can be animations in Banished beyond people sauntering around?  :o

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 05, 2015, 09:17:36 PMso what the matters to be a 'draw' bridge if we cannot 'draw' it back?

Well, because we cannot animate bridges (or ships), we must do other things to satisfy our imagination... for the sake of storytelling and Journals, it is nice to have ships that signal "Hey, I am a Ship" (even if they won't travel anywhere), or a bridge that signals "Hey, I am a Draw Bridge" (even if it won't move open / close) - just to stop the bickerers from bickering like "Hey, your ships are all locked in by bridges, how would they get out!?"

I'm kinda nonplussed - the art of Eye Candy (non-functional items simulating a function) surely is not novel in a game context?

RedKetchup

yeah alot of realism hs been given up in this game by the developper ^^

i know CC 1.4 will have one... maybe will make a simple one, maybe one day ^^

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 08, 2015, 05:01:08 AMalot of realism hs been given up

Like they say -

"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own"

;)